• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi Fi Speaker Demos

Mean & Green

I’ve never experienced a good one.

Many years ago I used to audition speakers before buying them by booking a demo, I was always left grossly underwhelmed and if anything just more confused as to weather or not I was going to get the upgrade I was looking for. Always finding kit sounds much better at home even when my kit at home was technically inferior.

The last two pairs of speakers I bought I didn’t even bother with an audition I took a gamble. Last time this was with 50% off on my current Tannoys about 3 years ago and luckily it paid off and they work well within my living room and were a significant step up from what I had previously.

The last demo I was at was at Linn a couple of years ago. It was a factory tour of their facilities which ended in their demo room which housed an £80k Linn Klimax system. This demo was actually awful to the point of being funny considering how much the kit costs, it was a shambles and certainly not a high fidelity performance and I don’t think any of the others I was with on that factory tour left there wishing they had £80k to drop on that flagship system.

I watched a YouTube video recently where a guy was walking around a high end show somewhere in America and he was having a similar experience to what I’ve always had. Just a completely lacklustre demo experience regardless of equipment cost. It just makes me wonder why if I can get good sound at home (I’ve moved house multiple times) so not just comparing one room to everything else - but why every demo I’ve had has left me completely cold?

Incidentally I only tend to change speakers when I’ve moved house to suit the new living space sonically.

Has anyone else felt that demos are actually more of a hinderance than a help? Has anyone ever been seriously impressed by a demo and thought ‘this is what I want to hear at home’?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You have to evaluate at home in your own space ideally comparing the ‘possibles’ with your current set.
Keith

OP
M

Mean & Green

You have to evaluate at home in your own space ideally comparing the ‘possibles’ with your current set.
Keith
Fully agree, but what I’m saying is I’ve never heard a good demo of any hi fi kit ever.

kongwee

Major Contributor
You can read subjective reviews to avoid the brands that don't suit you taste.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Fully agree, but what I’m saying is I’ve never heard a good demo of any hi fi kit ever.

How about instead of telling us how bad all the demos were, describe how you would demonstrations better? What do you think was missing or not 'right' in all those many 'demos'?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone else felt that demos are actually more of a hinderance than a help? Has anyone ever been seriously impressed by a demo and thought ‘this is what I want to hear at home’?

Absolutely!

I've owned many speakers and almost all came from being very impressed from demos of those speakers first, either at another audiophile's home, an audio show, or a dealer's show room.

It would be ideal to be able to demo any speaker in one's home, but that's often a rare luxury. I've had a few in-home demos, and actually my local Joseph Audio dealer did allow a home demo after I'd been impressed with the speakers in his show room. They sounded the same at home as they did in his show room, which is why I bought them. But, while the home demo sealed the deal, I'd likely have bought them even without the home demo. I find that if I audition a speaker carefully I get an accurate enough impression of the speaker. I've never been truly surprised by the character of a speaker that I heard in my home, that I'd auditioned first elsewhere.

On the other hand, occaisionally there ARE speakers that I audition in which I identify some issues that might cause issues in my room. For instance the Devore O/96 speakers had fairly ripe bass response and also required at least 8 feet listening distance for coherence, both of which *might* have been an issue in my smallish room. Those ones I'd hesitate to buy new without a home demo. So...it varies. But, again, it all usually starts with impressions from a demo in any case.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Demo inside a Magnolia was sufficient for me to select KEF R11 over competing models from Goldenear (Triton One.R), Definitive Technology (real crap IMO) and B&W (702 S3). There was no comparison, to my ears and those of my wife.

OP
M

Mean & Green

How about instead of telling us how bad all the demos were, describe how you would demonstrations better? What do you think was missing or not 'right' in all those many 'demos'?

The last demo I had was at Linn’s factory. £80k worth of Klimax system in their dedicated room. It should annihilate my humble NAD/Pioneer/Pro-ject/Tannoy set up at home and it didn’t, it was nowhere near. I’d go so far as to say it was the worst system I’ve ever heard. I was amazed at how such physically large speakers could be so devoid of bass.

Horrible artificial presentation and the comical part was the Linn staff saying how much it’s like actually being there with the artist in the room, hilarious given the price!

Other experiences have been spoiled by poorly set up speakers in general, again either zero bass or dull muddy thumping. I’ve just never been at any demo and actually heard anything impressive, nothing well balanced with depth, clarity and imaging.

It would be nice just once to hear something good that isn’t at home, instead of always walking away thinking “was that it?”

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last demo was R3, Revel M106, Amphion Argon 3S, Paradigm Founder 40B, Amphion One15, One18, Two15 and B&W 705.

The B&W was only one I was "how about no" instantly. The others were all good if different, I'm pretty sure I would have been happy with any of them. Then again, the room was completely different than my own and of course there was no room correction. After trying my hardest to decide I chose the KEF just because I had seen the measurements and knew it was good. I then proceeded to get R5 instead for the looks.

I think I'm done with store demos. Hard to imagine getting any useful info from them.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can read subjective reviews to avoid the brands that don't suit you taste.
Or you can read objective reviews and choose wisely.

OP
M

Mean & Green

I think I'm done with store demos. Hard to imagine getting any useful info from them.
This was the conclusion I came to long ago, the last demo I had was a couple of years ago at Linn for a bit of fun.

TBH, I started this thread as a conversation starter as I’ve not posted here before and thought it would be interesting to get others experiences.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Most demo's were not good adverisment for the speakers, at least not for the so called hi end audio.

I still remember putting Wilson Audio Sasha 2's (30K) next to a pair of Tannoy XT 8F (3K) in a shop (i know the XT 8F well as some friends have those) and those Tannoy's where a lot better. Both were amped with the same VTL amp, and switching was done with a switchbox. I would not buy any of those, as the Tannoy is quiet decent, but not what i want. But those Wilsons ... I can't understand that people pay such a craszy price for such a bad speaker. Idem with the Alexandria's i heared later in a audiophile fair (where i was wtih my former girlfriend who was working there). And most other speakers on that fair were similar extremely bad price/quality.

OP
M

Mean & Green

Most demo's were not good adverisment for the speakers, at least not for the so called hi end audio.

I still remember putting Wilson Audio Sasha 2's (30K) next to a pair of Tannoy XT 8F (3K) in a shop (i know the XT 8F well as some friends have those) and those Tannoy's where a lot better. Both were amped with the same VTL amp, and switching was done with a switchbox. I would not buy any of those, as the Tannoy is quiet decent, but not what i want. But those Wilsons ... I can't understand that people pay such a craszy price for such a bad speaker. Idem with the Alexandria's i heared later in a audiophile fair (where i was wtih my former girlfriend who was working there). And most other speakers on that fair were similar extremely bad price/quality.

I can quite believe the Tannoy‘s were better than the Wilson’s.

I have the Tannoy XT 6F the little brother of the XT 8F and while I appreciate they are by no means the ultimate in fidelity it doesn’t surprise me at all that the XT 8F were not only not outclassed - but actually better than £30k worth of speaker.

It amazes me that anyone pays such crazy prices for as you say poor performance.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WHY NOT BOTH?.jpg

:D
:D:D

SteveC

Over the years I've had some very fine store demos including 2 that literally changed my mind about what home audio could achieve. The best, though, by far, were the demos put on at the Klipsch Pilgrimage held at their headquarters here in Indy. Not only were the demos outstanding, but we got to visit their anechoic chamber and see their 3D printer in action which was brand new technology at the time. A totally amazing day.

kongwee

Major Contributor
People can hear difference between Genelec and Neumann even they are close in FR. You need to subjective review to read what song being played and what differences are made. Some ASR people ditch AH2 based on graph.

dorakeg

I feel it would be a lot more helpful to give more details on what you meant by good or aweful in what ways do that systems sound aweful to you.

OP
M

Mean & Green

I feel it would be a lot more helpful to give more details on what you meant by good or aweful in what ways do that systems sound aweful to you.
I’ve already done that. See reply #8 earlier in the thread.

dorakeg

I’ve already done that. See reply #8 earlier in the thread.

Yes, I have read but it doesn't say anything. You keep mentioning about lack of bass or muddy bass. You also mentioned about presentation at Linn being artificial (whatever that means).

I am not sure if your perceived lack of bass is due to the speakers not generating it or it's just the recording does not have the level of bass you are seeking. A good sound system should not be boosting bass (neutral).

There is also no mention of any physco acoustic effects, ok maybe artificial can be considered but doesn't say a

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had many speaker demos. From brand representatives demoing on Tuesday and Thursday night for months every year to Las Vegas CES and high end show and other salespeople of the time doing demos. Pretty much all of the demos included information and I was able to take away something from them. :D

Top Bottom