• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi-Fi newbie amp upgrade question

aozolins

Hi I'm relatively new to Hi-Fi and have my first opportunity to upgrade my amp for my turntable setup and I'm frankly quite overwhelmed by the selection and varying advice available.

My current setup is a Pro-ject Debut Carbon (blue ortofon cartridge), phono box mm, Nobsound® MS-10D MKII tube amp (being a newbie I thought mistakenly any tube amp would be better than a solid state), Polk Audio RTi A1 speakers.

My reason for upgrading is that the left channel in the amp seems to have blown out and the driver has stopped working in one of the speakers. I know the everyone says I should upgrade my speakers before I change the amp however since my speakers are still under warranty and Polk audio is already gonna give me replacement drivers I figured I would upgrade the amp first since it isn't under warranty so I absolutely have to replace it. I've looked at everything from the Onkyo A 9110, Yamaha AS-301, Marantz PM5005, to more expensive options like the PS Sprout 100, ELAC 101EQ-G, Rotel AS12 (which I've seen used for around 600 on ebay). I'd like to get an amp that can grow with my system and as I upgrade my speakers eventually (thinking eventually I might get something like a pair of KEF Q350's or B&W 606). Any advice on what amp makes sense for a straightforward setup like mine?

HemiRick

Being as the Nobsound was only 25 WPC almost anything you buy will be much more powerful. If you get an AVR w preouts you can grow more in future by adding a seperate power amp. I see you're looking at just amps, in that case buy as many watts as you can afford.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
take a look at Topping

just one of many

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Onkyo A 9110, Yamaha AS-301, Marantz PM5005
If only they had pre-amp output then you could expand on it later by adding a large power amplifier. I know a Technics I had that had all the features but lacked pre-out. I mounted pre-outs on the rear panel.
Rotel AS12
According to this web link.
http://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/A12 Owners Manual Ver Q.pdf
It has pre-out. Is this the same model?
http://www.rotel.com/en-ca/product/a12

OP
A

aozolins

take a look at Topping

just one of many
I haven’t heard of T- class amps how do these compare in sound quality to some of the amps I mentioned.
@Doodski yes it is the Rotel A12
, have you used that amp before?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven’t heard of T- class amps how do these compare in sound quality to some of the amps I mentioned.
@Doodski yes it is the Rotel A12
, have you used that amp before?
No, I have not personally used that amp before. The amp does check all the boxes for your purchase. High current design, nice power supply and it has pre outs for later expansion if you need more power. All the other models you mentioned where not showing pre outs.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While these amps may differ in sound quality (some say no; others like me say do a DBT to be certain), there is no question that any differences that may exist are miniscule compared to SQ of different speakers, and room tmts.

Top Bottom