• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi @amirm did you made the test?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Ok i fucked up on my smartphone with a 6€ panasonic headphone.
But it's interesting how you all perform. Do it!
http://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/?page=test&testrunId=610123&step=18&answer=0
Screenshot_20200803-175606.png

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
@Tks
Ah ok thanks didnt know. I only testet with Tracy. At -15 was the end for me.

Gruelling new word for me, but fits perfect thats why i yesterday only did it with tracy. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
@Tks
Ah ok thanks didnt know. I only testet with Tracy. At -15 was the end for me.

The Tracy one kept getting more tough as time went on. Can't tell if I'm getting better or worse (didn't save the image, but still the result was overall -18db even though it feels like I did better in the test overall).

If I recall a few people have done that test here a long while ago. I think Amir as well. He was at -30dB easily which I find insane. After 21dB it honestly feels like guess work completely for me.

EDIT: @amirm Yo bossman, am I recalling that properly? You were murdering this test way back when?

MRC01

Major Contributor
This same test went around here months ago. IIRC, at the very end of this audio file there is an obvious "tell" and someone here was listening for that (instead of listening for the actual distortion).
That Tracy Chapman file is not ideal for testing distortion because it's a mediocre recording and distortion is harder to hear. I'd expect to see lower distortion thresholds with a higher quality recording of vocals, lower still with a 2-tone signal.

Tks

Major Contributor
This same test went around here months ago. IIRC, at the very end of this audio file there is an obvious "tell" and someone here was listening for that (instead of listening for the actual distortion).
That Tracy Chapman file is not ideal for testing distortion because it's a mediocre recording and distortion is harder to hear. I'd expect to see lower distortion thresholds with a higher quality recording of vocals, lower still with a 2-tone signal.

What was the "tell", just tried listening for it, still don't know what I'm supposed to be listening for :facepalm: I'm guessing this is for trained listeners or something?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These tests are always humbling. I tried it with my desktop's headphone out and some earbuds and could only get to 24. Using all my concentration and some planar magnetic headphones, I was able to get -33dB a couple of times. (Headphones: Andover audio PM-50 and DAC was Radsone EarStudio ES100)

Snag_861c9b18.png

Snag_861f447d.png

For everyday listening would of course be nowhere near that.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
welll it turns out turning off my a/c and turning up the volume helps. Where do I get my golden ears certificate?

(I don't know why it gave me -54dB out of these scores)

Snag_8634ad72.png

OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Seeing the results from @napilopez i feel a little ashamed. But hey, i blame it on Marshall. ;)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People who keep taking it until they get it.

Not quite sure how it arrives at that threshold given my results above though. Seems like it should be -45dB at best. (I took the test a total of six times, including my earlier results)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
(I don't know why it gave me -54dB out of these scores)
It uses an unusual scoring method where it gives you three chances and then uses that as the final score.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not quite sure how it arrives at that threshold given my results above though. Seems like it should be -45dB at best. (I took the test a total of six times, including my earlier results)
Notice how you are walking the path of getting trained! The more you take such tests, the better you get at using your ears as instrumentation than simple listening so your score improves. Do this a few hundred times and you will get fully trained and outperform people not just on this test, but across a range of listening tests. You develop the ability to go past the "music" and search for flaws.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seeing the results from @napilopez i feel a little ashamed. But hey, i blame it on Marshall. ;)

I used to spend an inordinate amount of time doing these kinds of tests, so i guess that can count as a sort of 'training'. I'm not sure if I can actually hear the distortion or am just hearing a 'tell' as @Tks mentioned. When things started getting difficult, there were some specific bits that sounded clearer than others that I latched onto after quickly switching back and forth. I also wonder how that relates to the distortion inherent to a particular pair of headphones.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Notice how you are walking the path of getting trained! The more you take such tests, the better you get at using your ears as instrumentation than simple listening so your score improves. Do this a few hundred times and you will get fully trained and outperform people not just on this test, but across a range of listening tests. You develop the ability to go past the "music" and search for flaws.
Yeah, I just mentioned that I used to do these sorts of tests a lot when I was primarily a headphone guy/reviewer, although mainly of the telling apart different compression levels type. Which part of me wishes I'd never don because compression always stands out now....

Top Bottom