• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hey old timers - here's a site fer ya... old GUI's

OP
A

ajawamnet

Used to have a PDP 11 at the car auction magazine I worked at Automotive Market Report - they used that (running Dibol) until the mid 1990's for crunching data from all the large auto auctions. They used to print the colums of text for the car prices (clean,fair,poor) to a serial connected HPLJ II, then shoot stats of that, mount the stats to large foamcores with Linotype headers for each year/model, then shoot reduced negs of that and mount the negs to carrier sheets and opaque those with Sharpies to get rid of the faults in the negs. I finally got them to use a PC running DOS 5 and Wordperfect for the straightline articles the publisher/owner would do, got them to write the HPLJ output to a text file and connected the serial port to null modem over to a Win 3.1 box running Pagemaker and had them flow the pages into the sections for the car prices.

The publisher - Red Hillwig - used to get cars from the various manufacturers. One year they sent him a Saab 9000

So when the girl that used to take the publisher's hand written straightline and type it on the Linotype:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phototypesetting

did the very first cover article on this car with all this new-fangled Pagemaker/Wordperfect , she hit the spellcheck key.

"Saab - word not found. Substitute Scab - (R)eplace, Replace (A)ll

She hits the A key.

So the article goes into Pagemaker, goes to negs, and down to Publishers in TN (the large print house that does stuff like Newsweek)

Well, the guys in TN do the mailings direct to places like dealers, automakers, etc...

Red gets a call.... "Hey Red, how'd you like that Saab?"

"Oh, it's nice - did a write up on it..."

"Oh really all we saw was the cover story on the Scab 9000... "

Man, did we get for hell for that. He was so pissed...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Saab - word not found. Substitute Scab - (R)eplace, Replace (A)ll
Saab- word not found. Substitute Torque Steer.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Actually, one of my fave rave cars was an '01 9-3 SE. Jet black. But you get to the point with these things where they are not worth keeping, putting money back into them hoping they won't break again, and hoping you can find the part you need. Like old PCs. Unless you have a special requirement, like custom software that just won't run on anything modern, or special game you don't want to give up, it's closet time.

Top Bottom