• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Here's a Paper of Interest

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Considering many of us read these forums on a laptop while listening to music, according to this paper we're lucky if we fully understand what we read here.

Katji

Major Contributor
Excellent.
And data, references, everything.

Neurology and sensory input, a problem area for audiophiles...with their slogans and stuff in their forum sig lines like 'Trust your ears."

However, reading comprehension is a problem thing anyway. It starts with early childhood development, then school...and then it's about whether or not children read, as opposed to comics and tv.

threni

Major Contributor
I'm curious to know what happens when they test on more than 34 people, and on devices other than smartphones. To be clear: I don't care about their to comprehend the information; just whether or not they sigh more.

"Thirty-four Japanese university students provided written informed consent prior to the experiments....Participants were instructed to sit and their torso and arms were secured. They were asked to read the allocated novel on the allocated medium during the reading session. During resting state sessions, participants were asked to open their eyes and look at a wall.". Sounds pretty much how I like to read! We're still extrapolating information based on tests performed on bored university students, huh? (Weird outliers: https://psychcentral.com/blog/psych...ychology-studies-are-college-student-biased#1)

Usually this sort of study/speculation isn't limited to just smartphones (there's no reason why it would, as that's not the most popular device for reading - at least, for reading Proper Writing, not just internet fluff) - there's no blue light on a kindle black and white ereader, for instance.

I think the best thing we can say about this paper is "further tests are needed".

Top Bottom