• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Here ya go - for your media PC - a $20,000 I9 processor

ajawamnet

Usually only used for stock traders and only sold at auction:

http://www.cpushack.com/2019/01/24/intel-everest-goes-to-auction/
"Last summer we wrote about the Intel Everest series of high end CPU’s. These are processors which Intel makes for very specific customers (in this case High Frequency stock trading). They often have very little official information about them, and are sold at prices around $20,000 each. The latest in the series is the Intel Core i9-9990XE, with a max Turbo Frequency of 5.1GHz. According to Anandtech, these will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. These chips are a 14-core processor dissipating 255W, so will require rather good cooling, motherboard and Power Supply Support. The chips will be auctioned to ‘select OEM’s’ once per quarter throughout 2019. Intel isn’t likely deliberately making these chips scarce to increase the price, they are rather very rare speed bins for chips to attain. Out of thousands of chip’s tested, only a few will pass screening at this level of performance. These typically come from the center of a wafer (defects typically increase towards the edge of a wafer). It will be interesting to see what prices these attain, but then again, we may never know. "

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14205/intels-auction-only-core-i9-9990xe-available-in-retail-2999

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AMD has 64 core chip for measly 7000. It will surely beat Intel's 14 core and with its super-high price of 20K! :)

Tks

Major Contributor
This is nonsense, moronic coked up finance folks willing to pay for this don't understand that an extra 100Mhz won't get them much of anything, and any binned CPU from places like siliconlottery.com would've also done them the same service for far less.

While the wafer comment is true, this isn't really tracked by companies, and the only way to verify you're getting anything better than most CPU's would be to run torture tests to verify if you have a "golden chip" which isn't even all that serious for normal people to begin with. Worse yet, you can take most CPU's to these frequencies provided you have the proper cooling and motherboard VRM power delivery done well.

This is purely a marketing stunt to generate attention to Intel at a time where their 10nm blunder is costing them serious mindshare and market share.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Tks
I generally agree, but actually don't some stock traders rely on uber-low latency to beat their competitors in making fast transaction, thus increasing profits? If every microsecond of being faster than the competition is important, maybe they do need a chip like that…

And by the way, I didn't see anyone describing how that CPU sounds! I've heard that 5.1GHz can give you very tight bass control but make it sound very analytical on resolving systems. Recommended, tough probably best passed through tubes, specifically Russian ones from the 80's.

Top Bottom