• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

help

iMickey503

Forum Donor
someone on other forums says that the abaj a10 h is not very good, but what to replace it with? I can spend about 250 euros
Trust your ears. Other people just want to sell you stuff, or are jealous of what you have.

I understand your question. So let me Paraphrase.

You want to know if the Live events you attended are being faithfully reproduced over your audio setup you currently have.

You feel as though there is something that you might be missing from the experience of the live recording vs the reproduction of that live musical event on the recordings you listen too, and the system that you are currently using to reproduce the music your event your mind remembers.

It's not like it was being there live at the event, and you want to try to recreate that with looking for what upgrades to your gear / Setup you are currently using.

The truth is? There are things at the live event you just can't experience. It's a once in a lifetime thing. That's why life is so special. That moment in time is imprinted in your audio memory forever.
You can get very close to it. But there are just some things microphones just don't pick up.

There is however something you can do. You can close your eyes, and remember those moments and take yourself back there as your headphones play what you heard. You can also imagine new musical experiences in your mind like you were there with the memories of past events and make them as real as you were right there.

I know. This may sound silly. But I do it all the time.
And it feels like i'm right there. I can even talk to freinds that are long gone. It may not be real. But it feels real.
You can do the same even if you can't go do the things and roam to the places you use to go.

You audio system is a great one. It just needs a few tweaks here and there. And it will be as close to that moment as you wish it to be.

EDM you say?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I assume you read Amir's HD600 Review and the HD650 Review which he says performs the same, but the 650 review has a bit more detail. It's highly recommended, but the bass drops off a bit so he likes to boost the bass (and make a couple more adjustments to the higher frequencies).

post some music from youtube is tell me how I'm supposed to feel, wanna understand? thank you all
:D You're supposed to feel good and enjoy what you're hearing! Although, the music you're listening to (and your tastes & preferences in music) is at least as important as the sound quality. And of course that also includes the quality of the recording. Most recordings are actually, technically, pretty good. Except that a lot of modern music is overly dynamically-compressed ("constantly loud with no dynamic expression).

Some people (including a lot of musicians) can enjoy the music without regard to the reproduction quality! And then you've got some "audiophiles" who seem more interested in sound quality than the actual music that's playing.

The "audiophile community" tends to use a lot of meaningless terminology that relates more to "feelings" or impressions rather than actual sound quality. Maybe you know what they are talking about, but they probably don't know what they are talking about if they can't (or don't) explain the sound in meaningful terms. Sound quality is mostly defined by noise, distortion, and frequency response* and those things are easily measured.

I know you're not that interested in speakers, but with speakers in a room (or musicians in a room) we get reflections and reverb. Besides reverb, the reflected sound waves combine to create standing waves that alter frequency response. This is mostly a problem in the bass range where you get standing-wave nulls that kill certain bass frequencies. In a large music hall the reverb is an important enhancement of the sound but in a normal living room with shorter distances for the sound to bounce around, we usually don't want a lot of reverb. (Reverb can be bad in a big room too if it's not designed for good acoustics.)

With headphones, the main difference is frequency response. I assume you know what that is... The mix/balance of bass & treble and everything in-between. You might get (audible) distortion if you boost the bass. If you have a "weak" amplifier, boosting the bass can also drive the amplifier into distortion. You can also get digital distortion if you boost the bass digitally (but the equalizer usually has an volume/gain adjustment to turn-down the overall volume).

Regular passive headphones or regular speakers (with no active internal electronics) don't generate noise so noise is not an issue with headphones. (However more-sensitive headphones will make any noise from your amplifier louder or more audible.)

With electronics the main concern is noise (hum & hiss). Distortion isn't an issue unless you over-drive an amplifier into distortion. And frequency response is almost always better than human hearing. If you are not hearing noise and you can get enough loudness without distortion, your amplifier is fine!

will i hear a lot the difference if i take another headphone and not if i change my a10h for a 400 500 euro hi and amplifier?
Yes! As bit of an over-generalization - "All electronics sound the same", and "All speakers & headphones sound different." The headphone you have is very good and you might not find anything better! And there is a lot of personal preference involved.... Your favorite headphone in the world might not be my favorite, and our favorites probably aren't super expensive. (If you sort the ASR reviews by "recommended" you'll find almost no correlation with cost.)

I'm sure you've heard "cheap" and "average" stereos & radios, and car radios, etc. HOPEFULLY, your setup sounds a LOT better than those. ;)

Your live music memories can also serve as a reference although you won't really "match" that sound with headphones or speakers in a living room. The sort-of "traditional goal" of "high fidelity" was to reproduce the sound of a live performance. To some extent that might still be the goal with classical and some jazz, but most modern recordings are a "studio creation" and you're not hearing what the band sounds like live, or even what it sounds like in the studio during the recording. So now, the goal is more to sound "as it was intended" (or what the mixing & mastering engineers were hearing when they were done).

If you want to hear some different headphones you can try any cheap pair and compare the differences (I think my grocery store sells some headphones). If you want to hear something with "good sound" that closely matches the Harmon curve, the AKG K371 is about $150. (It's actually got a little more bass than the Harmon target, whereas the HD600 has a little less.) The K371 seems to have a reputation of being flimsy.

It's also very helpful if you can visit an audio/video store and listen to a variety of headphones. And, it wouldn't hurt to bring yours along to compare also. (Although I read a rumor that some stores weren't allowing people to try headphones during the pandemic.) A long-long time ago I thought I wanted to upgrade my headphones, but after listening at the store I decided to stick with what I had (something that's now broken and no longer made. :( ) I didn't bring mine with me, but I just wasn't that impressed with what I heard.

One more thing about comparing headphones (or anything) - There is something psychological that tends to make "louder sound better", at least with the 1st impression. So, try to match the volume when comparing. (Of course the exception is if you want louder than you can currently go without distortion.)

* See Audiophoolery.

Last edited:
OP
M

musica

how do you perceive the distortion in the mids and highs?
thank you all for the help you give me

iMickey503

Forum Donor
A great video was posted in this thread by Daniel IT.

Video Description:
In this video you will find out at which point you can hear distortion with your audio system. There are three distortion tests: In the first test you will hear some music and then a 500 Hz and 100 Hz test tone. Every test starts out with zero distortion and then increases the distortion over time. Once you hear the distortion you can see how much percent of the original signal is made up of distortion.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
You should also take this hearing test. Make sure to keep the volume down so you don't damage your hearing.

DESCRIPTION:

Hearing Test HD​

14,674,077 views Oct 4, 2012 Hearing Test in HD quality.

Sinusoidal wave starting at 20 Hz frequency and going up to 20 kHz frequency. It's recommended that you listen to this using headphones. If you can't hear anything above 16000 Hertz it's probably because Youtube's audio compression cut off frequencies above 16kHz.

Try watching in HD to get better audio quality.

Update: Youtube no longer seems to cut of frequencies above 16kHz at least when encoding as opus audio stream. There is still lossy compression and there are visible distortions at high end of the spectrum (high frequencies).

If you don't hear low frequencies it's your hardware! Most decent headphones should be able to play low frequencies, for loudspeakers check their specification.
They could have frequency range (min) starting at 40Hz or 80Hz or in case of build in laptop/tablet speakers 120Hz or higher.

For other end of the spectrum (high frequencies) it's more sophisticated. Again, it's best to listen using headphones, but you also need good Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). If your soundcard uses DSP processor it is best to turn it off and switch to "Stereo Direct" mode (if it offers such possibility).

Also disable any modification to the original signal like equalizers or "bass boost" in your hardware/software. All these features modify original signal and might distort it to the point that high frequency components will be lost.

If you have quality DAC and headphones/speakers and can't hear above certain frequency, then it's most likely your hearing.
To be 100% sure ask someone with better hearing (someone younger). Generally, if children can hear it on the same hardware and you can't, it's above your hearing threshold.

(Or use Audiotool on your phone as an RTA to see the sound if you can't hear it )

A video related to hearing:

DESCRIPTION:

***!!! You must disable audio enhancement before listening !!!***
On windows "disable all enhancements" for all devices, on mac disable "sound enhancer", on mobile make sure you aren't using mono audio, and if you have a control panel for your headphones make sure to disable any and all similar stuff ("enhancements", "auto leveling", etc)!

Noise canceling headphones might also mess with these demonstrations! "Simulated surround sound" headphones, etc. -- all these things may affect the "truth" of what you're hearing. You also need to listen to the 720p version or better -- the lower-quality streams degrade the audio (including the stereo separation). This series presents a variety of fascinating psychoacoustic phenomena and illusions. We will cover 42 of them, with examples and explanations along the way. See if they work on you!

Donation links:

Series playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

Errata: ·
the Tritone Paradox demo audio is incorrect: it is supposed to be a tritone apart, and was in my audio project, but a rendering glitch driving the automation of the synth I made caused it to be more like a step apart. The illusion is real, but my demo is bad. :)

There is a corrected version in Part 7: https://youtu.be/qdTloDvvy10?t=265 ·
re: binaural beats: some people can't hear them.

There is apparently a difference between genders, and menstruation may also play a role in whether a person can hear this effect. [Editor's note: I am Not a Biologist]

If you can't hear them, you might try again another time. More info in "Auditory Beats in the Brain" by G. Oster -- PMID: 4727697 DOI: 10.1038/scientificamerican1073-94 There is also a common issue where on some systems the left and right channels are "polluting" each other.

In the actual audio there is only a single tone in each ear at 2:20. If you take out an earbud (and you're sure you can't ear the earbud you took out through the air at all), you should definitely hear no beating at 2:20.

You can test your system by taking one earbud out and playing from 2:12: when the audio plays one channel and then the other, you should hear total silence in the single earbud for one of those tones. If you hear even a little bit bleeding through, it means your system is not separating the channels properly (and in fact this may explain a lot of the cases where other illusions in this series don't work!) Try finding a playback system that isolates the left/right signals perfectly at 2:12, and then watch the videos again.

I'd also appreciate reports under this comment about whether your system does or doesn't perfectly isolate the left/right channels on your headphones. · re: otoacoustic emissions: in the video I mention that OEs may result in tinnitus; I wanted to note that tinnitus has many (many) possible causes and having tinnitus does not necessarily mean that you have OEs.

- combination tones: starting at 9:56 the synth used to generate those sine tones was slightly out of tune (user error). It shouldn't affect the demonstration much, if at all, but that's why there is a slight beating to the sound.

-Index to Part 1: 0:00
-intro 0:55
-binaural beats 3:09
-pitch circularity 5:42
-tritone paradox 7:23
-tempo circularity 9:43
-combination tones 10:38
-missing fundamental 13:00

otoacoustic emission Tritone paradox: Deutsch, D. (1991).
"The tritone paradox: An influence of language on music perception". Music Perception. 8 (4): 335–347. doi:10.2307/40285517. JSTOR 40285517 Risset beats created with (a slightly modifed version of) Dan Stowell's SuperCollider script: https://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de/MusicTe...
https://supercollider.github.io/

Check out these cool pitch circularity tracks: https://youtu.be/wiMzVdn4gDE https://youtu.be/dBYq9N-Lkzg

Otoacoustic emissions image from: Dalhoff, E. et al "Distortion product otoacoustic emissions measured as vibration on the eardrum of human subjects." Proceedings of X the National Academy of Sciences 104.5 (2007): 1546-1551; https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0610185103 This video was made in Reaper and Blender, with final editing/compositing done in Davinci Resolve. Some custom software was written to generate various tones and such, and this was done in JSFX in Reaper.

[editor's note: Formated for clear reading ]

OP
M

musica

Is it normal that I only hear sounds from right to left, behind and above the head but nothing in front?

iMickey503

Forum Donor
What part of the track? And what video? Give a timestamp and I can tell you weather it is normal or not.

EXAMPLE:
=================
"In the video "Hearing test on Youtube [Insert URL of Video} at 2:34 seconds, Is it normal that I only hear sounds from right to left, behind and above the head but nothing in front? "
=================

Please state what area of the video you are referring too, as this will give others a better indication of the content you are listening to.

The phenomenon that you are referring to is called a phantom Center image which is available in the stereo setup of 2 speakers/ Audio channels. This relates to Pan's Law.
the common nomenclature or would everybody calls it is Stereo separation/ stereo Imaging depending on what part of the world you're from.

Here are some more tests to help you define if you are hearing the front phantom image or not. Or maybe there is an issue with your gear. It is called the

LEDR™ - Listening Environment Diagnostic Recording Test​

I donated some cash, so when your ready, I can send you some 192 Khz Files so you can test that stuff out in Super High Def. Just let me know when you are ready and I can send them to you!

1656762051240.png

Have a good one! And Keep trying to see what you are able to push your ears and your mind to!

OP
M

musica

even with this 3D sound video, I don't perceive frontal sounds, you?

iMickey503

Forum Donor
now I understand perfectly what you're talkin about.

At 1:31 in the video,
You should hear the illusion that the sound is coming in front of you but you are only hearing what sounds like left Channel and right Channel Panning between the two instead of actually being able to place the sound coming in front of you.
2_Pan_COMP.gif

I have the feeling that they were using something similar to this tool in Final Cut Pro. Not something that Dolby Uses or even any of the actual 3D audio algorithms used in video games engines for instance.

Bellow you can Hear the effect that is this "8D"
1656814823666.png

The effect in the video you posted "Musica 8D EscuCha Con El' Cerebro" is using THIS technique as the "8D" audio MEIRDA. Weapons-grade Fecal matter plutonium Powered mierda de toro

THE LINK BELOW DESCRIBES THIS 8-Polla effect. Or 8 el carajo effect.​

"If you spend a lot of time on YouTube, you might have stumbled across videos with titles including ‘8D audio.’ It makes for a unique listening experience, and the next time you see those magic words, you might want to click.
You’ve probably heard of spatial audio, 3D audio – heck, even 4D. But 8D? Is there actually such a thing as audio possessing eight dimensions?
https://www.epidemicsound.com/blog/...4BRY67vDCwwK7VX2BZQz4yoqR8n3F-KBoCR9gQAvD_BwE
No, there isn’t. Audio doesn’t really have dimensions at all. 8D music is, essentially, a subcategory of music that 'tricks' your brain into thinking you're in a bigger space. Artists and producers manipulate the stereo sections of a track, making you feel like the sounds are coming from different directions....."
SOURCE: -
1656811822684.png

These Audio clip clowns are just taking a flat sounding stereo track, and UP-sampling it to fool you into thinking that this is better than a real good stereo recording. It's called Spatial Audio.
Auro-3D-lagen-770x438%402x.jpg

it's usually done to dry electronic music like the stuff you're listening to above to actually make it sound palpable. kind of like how some electronic or EDM music producers use a tube preamp stage to actually make it sound more musical instead of some obvious 1 dimensional synthetic music soundtrack built with nothing but electronic midi samples tones from crap music synthesizers.
giphy.gif
( 8D "Audio plugins" Apesta)

it's the same kind of technique where I was taught at the radio/ Classical studio here in Portland that if you have a very dry one-dimensional sounding recording, you open up your microphones to take a recording of a quiet room, then mix that recording of the room and transpose into the mix with the original recording of your audio track to give it more depth, space and presence. Just take out the performers, and record the room by itself, and PRESTO! (Presta!)
Stereo-Miking-Techniques-Featured-Image.jpg

This gives the Image of the music being in 3D space. And its faking it. But in a way your mind/ Ear will pick up the cues FAR better then some stupid Plugin.

You want to know what a really good immersive experience is like?
THIS my Boy. THIS is GOD TIER!

So try movies first. It will help with the illusion.

A Lot of people don't know this and a cool fact:
1656813759435.png

hanszimmer-satisfying.gif

So what do you do if your music sounds like This bellow?

You use Tools to make it sound like the sample bellow. And for the record? I hear no phantom center channel image either.

The SONY version is a BIT better. But still not convincing.

This helps. But its more of a mind trick.

This is Basically what is going on here:

This is made for Speakers in a room. But supposedly comes out very well over headphones.

But even in all these? I understand completely what you mean that it does not realistically sound like someone's talking in front of you to the point where you hear a sound and you know what's right in front.

A Big part of this is that not all of our ears are the same. Neither is our playback gear. Nor our perceptions for each individual

1656816882651.png

One of the better and actually convincing Spaial or 3D audio examples.

it doesn't mean that your equipment is defective or isn't up to par it's just that your mind is a little bit sharper than most and isn't easily fooled by imitations.

the best analogy I can provide is if you are in a large Warehouse and due to all the Echoes and other small little audio cues your ears are able to perceive the effects above aren't credibly interpreted as sound in a 3D space so your ears automatically localize it to your headphones instead of being fooled by the presentation.

so there is nothing wrong with your hearing
nor is there anything wrong with your ears.
And your Gear?
200.gif

Attachments

• 1656813672485.png
    1656813672485.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 1656813735883.png
    1656813735883.png
    45 KB · Views: 43
OP
M

musica

looking at this, with my eyes open, I can identify the position of the singers and all the instruments in the headphones. rightly so?

iMickey503

Forum Donor
There are few better things in life than a woman who can sing a tune.
I'll give it a good Nod and listen to it later today on my cans.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Do you use your PC as source? If yes, you are in good shape. Use EQ APO with the Peace interface to set Equalizing profile for your headphones. Start with Oratorio or Amir. Choose just one to start. It takes a while but you'll quickly get the hang on of PEACE for EQ APO. With these EQ profile you have a baseline. Those baseline are based on research performed by scientists at Harman and they came up with a Frequency Response curve for headphones, if any headphones is equalized such that the resulting frequency response is similar to the Harman derived ... then it would be preferred by a majority of people,,, This can be defined as a baseline for accuracy... Use that baseline.. listen to it for a while, not a few minutes or hours.. You need a few days. You may like it, I know I did.... Else you chnage EQ but, you now have a scientific basis , a baseline from which you deviate...

Peace.

OP
M

musica

Hi

Do you use your PC as source? If yes, you are in good shape. Use EQ APO with the Peace interface to set Equalizing profile for your headphones. Start with Oratorio or Amir. Choose just one to start. It takes a while but you'll quickly get the hang on of PEACE for EQ APO. With these EQ profile you have a baseline. Those baseline are based on research performed by scientists at Harman and they came up with a Frequency Response curve for headphones, if any headphones is equalized such that the resulting frequency response is similar to the Harman derived ... then it would be preferred by a majority of people,,, This can be defined as a baseline for accuracy... Use that baseline.. listen to it for a while, not a few minutes or hours.. You need a few days. You may like it, I know I did.... Else you chnage EQ but, you now have a scientific basis , a baseline from which you deviate...

Peace.
yes, as source I use the pc.
Does the equalization also improve the localization of the sounds in the headphones?
thank you

OP
M

musica

is this normal, if I turn up the volume the voices become loud is it annoying and the bass tends to disappear?

Top Bottom