• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with VituixCad, modeling passive crossover with biquads using overlay

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got a model of my passive crossover on VituixCad and after some research it seem the best way to copy(I know this is not possible but I need a something to start with) this to a Hypex DSP biquad crossover to then use it in Hypex is apparently by using it as an overlay. I also will need to know how to later transfer the crossover to Hypex but firstly the goal is to know what I am doing in VituixCad with my passive crossover model to use it as a base to start my active crossover.

The instructions given to me were "save selected as overlay". I know I can choose DSP system as Hypex within Vituixcad but that is when I start using the biquads for crossover so what does select as overlay do?

"These parameters can either be copied directly over to the DSP software, or right click on each block and "copy biquad coefficients" to grab the biquad values directly as plain text." This is my second instruction that I have been given but I am still confused is this copying passive crossover components to biquads(which is my current goal) or is this copying the modelled active crossover biquads into Hypex?

I am a little stuck on the whole "overlay" thing is what it is and how I use it?

I added impedance from Dats 3 of each driver.

Now, do I need to measure frequency response of each speaker and upload into Vituixcad? or I can design an active crossover without FR response or should I say can I design the active crossover.

Anything left for the preliminary stage?

fluid

You can save any trace as an overlay by right clicking on it to bring up the option to save it as an overlay, you can then show or hide the overlay in the traces window.

You can use the transfer function of your passive crossover as an overlay and then try and match it using other EQ blocks. There is no need for acoustic measurements if that is what you want to do.

In this example the overlay is the dotted green trace and the red is an active filter that does not match. You can also export the trace to a txt file by selecting the driver and choosing export drivers filter response.

VituixCAD Filter.png

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
You can save any trace as an overlay by right clicking on it to bring up the option to save it as an overlay, you can then show or hide the overlay in the traces window.

You can use the transfer function of your passive crossover as an overlay and then try and match it using other EQ blocks. There is no need for acoustic measurements if that is what you want to do.
Well that is what I thought I wanted to do, but it seems I have misunderstood all this option is giving me is the roll offs which are not that difficult to do within the Hypex fusion software. I thought I could somehow mimic each crossover component into a biquad? Is this possible, or is the best approach just to measure in REW use that as a reference to apply biquads in the Hypex fusion software...?

fluid

I thought I could somehow mimic each crossover component into a biquad? Is this possible, or is the best approach just to measure in REW use that as a reference to apply biquads in the Hypex fusion software...?
You could, but you would quickly run out of biquads and passive components are interactive so the overall transfer function is what matters.

The best way to make use of the active option is to take measurements and go from there.

Top Bottom