• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with upgrade selection...

Cadriel

Hi there,

I know this is likely a common post, so redirect me elsewhere if this particular question has already been answered.

I currently have a UR22mkii that I'm looking to replace. It's paired with a couple of JBL LSR305's, and a pair of HE350's from a mass drop a while back. Most of my listening is via the speakers, a headphone amp could be an option later down the line for me. I listen to music mostly during the day, and game in the evenings.

I'll probably look at speaker changes down the line too. I'm replacing the UR22 because its drivers are getting a little long in the tooth, and well - it's time. :)

I've been looking at the Modius as an option, and potentially adding a Magnius later. But wondered if I shouldn't consider moving straight to a Jotenheim instead?

Are there other options I should consider? The Modius option appeals due to the initial lower $200 pricepoint.

Thanks ahead for any help. :)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy the best speakers you can afford.

2nd, buy an amp capable of driving them, with good esthetics and ergonomics - most will sound fine.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Buy the best speakers you can afford.
Indeed. We'd have to know the kind of listening distance, but if it's a desktop setup (distance < 1 m) you may want to be looking at the premium 5" class (Genelec 8030, Neumann KH120, possibly an older version used if need be, or perhaps a used integrated amp with some good older passive bookshelves). A bit further out, maybe Yamaha HS8 or ADAM T7V. Even further out, Behringer B2031A, Kali LP6/LP8.

The UR22 MkII is a bit disappointing in terms of internals (just a CS4270 codec, mediocre mic input noise, high headphone output impedance - maybe that was done in exchange for a more solid build), but not sure whether I'd just ditch it... I mean, there may not be too much in it price-wise if you manage to sell it and pick up a used Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen2 instead (which has better-performing innards for one, including a CS4272, though it took until the Gen3 for it to show its full potential - that's a poor headphone driver though), so that's an option I'd consider. Some of the more annoying issues that these used to have years ago should be fixed in current drivers.

HE350 has always been just an OK(ish) headphone, not a great one, and I asume HE35X isn't much different. (Dynamic drivers aren't Hifiman's specialty anyway.) But speaking of Drop, maybe look for a used HD58X or HD6XX. And eventually, maybe one of the usual $100 class headphone amp suspects to go with it (JDS Labs Atom, Topping L30, Schiit Magni Heresy). Don't be afraid to run one from an existing headphone out for the requisite cabling, they're usually perfectly fine for that. (Ironically, Steinberg gets essentially full datasheet level codec dynamic range out of there, while the 2i2 gen is a few dB weaker if with better distortion. Both decent candidates overall.)

OP
C

Cadriel

Thanks. This is nearfield, both current speakers are sitting either side of my monitor.

Specifically tho, I'm really looking at the DAC as the first purchase point. Any suggestions surrounding that?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
What exactly is it that you are hoping to gain with this? What functionality do you need? Being able to use a decent condenser mic beats having the best DAC performance in my book, besides a Scarlett 2i2 (or Solo) line out should already be audibly transparent and a MOTU M2 has a good DAC by any standard if you can still find one those (AKM ADC... when those are going to be available again is anyone's guess; Modius and Jotunheim will eventually have the same problem depending on how many AK4490s and AK4493s or already finished boards Schiit have stockpiled).

And why do you think the Steinberg drivers are "a bit long in the tooth"? I looked it up, and the latest version of the Steinberg USB Windows drivers dates from September of 2020; the MacOS one is even newer being from January of this year. Neither qualifies as old in my book. I have read that the control panel UI is supposed to be a bit oldschool, but I mean, as long as it works...

OP
C

Cadriel

This seems to have veered very much off course..

I haven't mentioned a mic. I don't need a mic. I just wanted some advice on some decent dacs on the market that'd meet my mentioned needs above.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems to have veered very much off course..

I haven't mentioned a mic. I don't need a mic. I just wanted some advice on some decent dacs on the market that'd meet my mentioned needs above.

Because you mentioned an ADC/DAC interface people are assuming you want a better one. Never used the UR22 for converting analog to digital?

Anyway, if you just want a new DAC, dont expect huge (or maybe any) audible performance improvement but knock yourself out browsing the recommended items on the review chart https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Top Bottom