• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with understanding measurements: Joseph Audio Pulsar

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm certain we generally agree on things.
I think we do.
My point is: that's a bit rash.
I agree the way I quoted Dr. Toole was rash. But if one looks pass it as a purely judgmental statement, it is useful information. It simply states (or just may be overstating) how our perception works.

I think quoting a couple of my past posts may give you some idea on where my stand is on this matter.
The science is clear. We can only reliably tell which audio gear sounds better in well constructed double blind (i.e. ear only) tests. The flip side of it is clear too. When we listen sighted, all bets are off. If our brains believe we hear something (which isn't totally controllable by us), we will hear it.

If you flat out refuse to ever set foot into a double blind listening test (>99.9% of the population won't have the opportunity), nothing can prove to you a better sounding gear (as determined in double blind tests) will indeed sounds better to you than a poorer one, if your brain has already made up its mind and the piece of kit isn't truly atrocious. [Of course certain things are obvious, such as insufficient output capacity and/or frequency extension, and we need to satisfy those needs.]

I think we all should just relax, sit back, and enjoy what comes out of our gear. Nobody I know listen blind for entertainment. If you are happy with the gear that you have or like to have, and you are not going into financial hardship for it, there is no need to get all stressed over by some numbers and graphs.

What you are considering would be a very nice system indeed. I'm pretty certain in a room of your size your ears will give in well before the 802D4. Others here may comment on the often poor measured performance of B&W speakers, but I wouldn't worry about it. If your heart likes the B&Ws, your "ears" will too.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds good NTK. Thanks!

Top Bottom