• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Topping DAC distortion/Digital volume

pileup

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been looking for a DAC upgrade, and based off reviews I've read on this site, I purchased a D10 Balanced and a D30 Pro from Amazon. I intended to A/B them for a week or so and return whichever I like less. However, I've got a issue going on with both of them that I dont quite understand. I cannot have the Windows 10 digital volume more than about about 55% without audible distortion. If the volume is any higher than that it sounds like its overdriving the speakers (JBL 305P MKII). I've tried adjusting the volume on the speakers, from 10 to 3, and the distortion is still there if the windows volume is anything above about 55%. This is strange to me, I've used a few different JDS Labs and Focusrite DACs/Audio interfaces and always was able to put the volume at 95%(ish), as I've read this was best practice. Is this low digital volume normal with Topping DACs? I've already gone through all the Windows sound settings. I've also installed the Topping ASIO driver and it appears to be functioning properly. Is the rule different with Topping? Should the digital volume really be all the way down at 55%?

Ive also gone back and fourth switching to my old DAC, with the same speakers, and have no issues.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

gvl

Major Contributor
How are the speakers connected to the DAC? Straight XLR cables? If you’re actually using ASIO then Windows volume control should have no effect.

OP
P

pileup

I've attached them using both XLR and TRS cables. Thinking perhaps somehow the cable was causing a problem. To be clear, this happened both before and after the Topping driver install. I only installed the Topping driver thinking it may help. It didn't.

I've attached a screenshot, hoping that may help.

Attachments

• audiosettings.png
    audiosettings.png
    744.4 KB · Views: 121

gvl

Major Contributor
So by windows volume control you mean the slider in the Qobuz app?

OP
P

pileup

No. I mean the volume control in the lower right. This is not exclusively a Qobuz issue either. If I go into the sound control panel and click "test" for the Topping DAC (where Windows play the bell tone, on the left, then right speaker) , if the volume is anything above what I stated. It distorts/clips badly, no matter the actual speaker volume. The speakers are quieter, and thus the clipping is quieter if I turn the speakers themselves down. But its still there.

OP
P

pileup

I do not. I've never even heard of Voicemeeter. Is is it something I should have installed?

gvl

Major Contributor
I’d suggest to make the default windows sound device something other than the DAC, and then select Speakers/Topping USB DAC as audio output in Qobuz.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not. I've never even heard of Voicemeeter. Is is it something I should have installed?
Possibly, if you want to integrate VST based processing into your audio chain. However, I mentioned it because, if I don't have Voicemeeter setup just right, I get disortion that sounds a little similar to what you described.

You can search ASR for threads discussing Voicemeeter and it's various uses. The website is here: https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

The 'Banana' version should be sufficient for most audiophile applications.

OP
P

pileup

I’d suggest to make the default windows sound device something other than the DAC, and then select Speakers/Topping USB DAC as audio output in Qobuz.
That makes a huge difference. I can put it to about 95% without any distortion. Windows is weird.

gvl

Major Contributor
That makes a huge difference. I can put it to about 95% without any distortion. Windows is weird.

Using ASIO to a default windows device likely causes some confusion in the audio stack, generally you want to have windows default sound assigned to a device other than what you use for direct hardware access (ASIO or WASAPI exclusive mode).

OP
P

pileup

Using ASIO to a default windows device likely causes some confusion in the audio stack, generally you want to have windows default sound assigned to a device other than what you use for direct hardware access (ASIO or WASAPI exclusive mode).
Thank you for the help!

Top Bottom