• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with studio monitors running alongside DAC and separate headphone amp?

MattRobertson

I'm trying to think through how to make this work best for my setup, here's what I'm working with. I do video production as well as audio mixing sometimes (mostly podcasts and less demanding stuff like that) and I'm looking to get a better headphone amp for my Hifiman Sundaras.

I run all my audio through my Cambridge Dacmagic plus and I love how that Dac preforms and being able to plus my studio monitors into that through XLR is awesome. Currently the Dacmagic functions great with it's headphone jack as I can switch from studio monitors to headphones when checking mixes by just plugging the headphones in and it mutes the output of the speakers.

However, the headphone amp just isn't the greatest on the dacmagic and I'm looking to upgrade to a separate headphone amp with hopefully as little hassle as possible. Is there any solution that would work well with studio monitors and headphones and enable quick switching between the sources like I currently have, yet be able to power my Sundara's a little better? I'm willing to spend up to $300 or so.

RHO

Major Contributor
Could something like this help?
Put it between the output from your DAC and the HP and active monitors.
Or get a HP amp with pre-amp functionality. Balanced inputs and pre-amp outputs for under $300 will be difficult. Add a little bit to your budget and you could look at a Gustard H16 or SMSL HO200 or something similar.

OP
M

MattRobertson

Could something like this help?
Put it between the output from your DAC and the HP and active monitors.
Or get a HP amp with pre-amp functionality. Balanced inputs and pre-amp outputs for under $300 will be difficult. Add a little bit to your budget and you could look at a Gustard H16 or SMSL HO200 or something similar.
Ah these are great ideas! Thanks so much for the reply!

Top Bottom