• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with REW and next steps please!

Gga

Hello everyone!

I am new to hifi and since I have a difficult small room and boomy bass, I purchased a Umik minidsp microphone to measure my room.

My setup is Argon Solo Streamer -> Triange BR03 Active.

My room is this:

Salon.jpg

All surfaces are hard and reflective and there is also a coffe table in front of me. For REW measurements I just plugged in the microphone and did the measurements. I did not calibrate (rew asked me if I have a calibration file and I pressed no as I read in the thread of measurement for beginners). For the graphs I used 1/12 and Var smoothing. Below are my measurements:

R+L
L+R.jpg

Right:

R.jpg

Left:

L.jpg

RT60 of R+L:

RT60.jpg

RT60 Decay of R+L:
RT60 Decay.jpg

Waterfall:
Waterfall.jpg

Distortion:
Distortion.jpg

Since I cannot interpret them, I would highly appreciate any opinion and help. Is the sound significantly bad from what you can see in the measurements? I am thinking of adding Minidsp Flex to my system, or even to sell everything and buy a Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 + Passive Speakers (a big step up from my initial budget)

Do you think that the sound can be improved? Should I buy first some room treatment? Any suggestion is appreciated!

Thank you!

goat76

Major Contributor
You have a room mode at 55Hz which I think is highlighted by the overall lack of energy from 65Hz to 150Hz.

With a small room like that, it's hard to change the listening position to find a more even bass response. Maybe you should try the opposite wall as the front wall by turning the whole setup 180 degrees from how you have it now. I think it's usually better to use the wall without door openings as the front wall.

Overall it's a very lively room with a long decay time all the way through the whole frequency spectrum, you should probably think about installing some absorption panels or just putting more things into the room (which will of course be challenging in such a small space). EQ on its own will most likely not turn that room into a good-sounding room, you must do something about the room's acoustics. But start with the 180-degree change and see what that does to the sound, that's the first thing I would try to do, if possible.

OP
G

Gga

Unfortunately, since it is a living room, I cannot change the position. My hope is that I can make it less lively by adding rug, decorative items and maybe absorption panels behind my listening position and also Dirac to solve the problem till 200hz. Do you think that this could work? Or the problem in my room mode is more serious and dirac could not treat it?

goat76

Major Contributor
The more stuff you put in the room, the better it gets. Dirac will help you with the frequency response, but not that much with the long decay times.

I’m sure there are people on this forum with a lot more knowledge than me about room treatment and possible solutions, let's wait and see what they say. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
G

Gga

Since I have bought the microphone, I would like to test Dirac from my computer with the 14 days trial. If I understood correctly, this is possible from the PC, without any Dirac hardware. Is this true?

If yes, could you please suggest how to do it? Windows PC -> streamer -> active speakers.

Do I need a specific player? My music source is Tidal.

Also, would it be better to impose a curtain on Dirac calibration and let it correct till 200hz as many people suggesting or let it do full correction and target for a Harman curve?

Thank you!

Top Bottom