• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help With New DAC For Benchmark HPA4

OP
S

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've done it both ways and much prefer to consider measurements as you dont need to buy everything to try it and can get some objective info before settling on if it sounds subjectively good

DHT 845

I wouldn't swap my d70s even for denafrips terminator II, maybe for dCS Vivaldi but not necessarily

Freddy

DHT 845. I guess you have to say that or your whole philosophy of audiophilia would fall in a heap. I just bought a Dac after lots of auditions, (not the Denafrips though I did like it). I really disliked the shrill Topping mid range; however each to his own. The Topping sounded unpleasant with female voices in particular and as I listen to a lot opera it was a very easy decision.

DHT 845

DHT 845. I guess you have to say that or your whole philosophy of audiophilia would fall in a heap. I just bought a Dac after lots of auditions, (not the Denafrips though I did like it). I really disliked the shrill Topping mid range; however each to his own. The Topping sounded unpleasant with female voices in particular and as I listen to a lot opera it was a very easy decision.
Good for you, I would not misuse word "philisophy" out of respect for the field.

RustyGates

Dac-Mode-0dBfs-WM.png

Its an invalid attempt at using an APx555.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool story.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Topping doesn't have a signature sound. They are completely neutral. Only difference I've maybe heard is lower or great clarity depending on how good the model is. There must be something else in your chain coloring the sound

Freddy

Topping doesn't have a signature sound. They are completely neutral. Only difference I've maybe heard is lower or great clarity depending on how good the model is. There must be something else in your chain coloring the sound
You are posting what YOU want to believe, not the reality. I just told you, I auditioned these on exactly the same system at a dealers.. The Topping is shrill on female voices, end of story. Perhaps if you listen to rock music only you hear no difference. If you listen to classical, especially opera, the differences are obvious. Listen to Callas singing Casta Diva.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
You are posting what YOU want to believe, not the reality. I just told you, I auditioned these on exactly the same system at a dealers.. The Topping is shrill on female voices, end of story. Perhaps if you listen to rock music only you hear no difference. If you listen to classical, especially opera, the differences are obvious. Listen to Callas singing Casta Diva.
Oh, you listened to a topping device at a dealer and heard shrill female voices? That for sure proves that topping creates a house sound regardless of every single one having a flat frequency response. I stand corrected.

Freddy

Good. I am very pleased you learned something. Try listening a bit and you may learn more.

nikosidis

Good. I am very pleased you learned something. Try listening a bit and you may learn more.
Nonsense. Try other speakers.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
For sure. I'm going to sell my benchmark hpa4 and topping d90se and buy some audio.gd. Before measurements that's what I was going to get. Too bad I ended up with these. Maybe I'll go back to the wonderful ungrounded schiit jotunheim. I loved how you could literally hear distortion unlike now, all I can hear is music (boring)

Human Bass

I have not seen the SINAD of them yet. But I'm pretty confident at least MSB is much worse. Vivaldi has higher harmonics. No idea about Wadax. I'm super curious about Chord Dave. But I guess D90se has lower noise than Dave, giving better performance. Mola mola measured here is also extremely good but D90se seems better.
Measurements of the Dave here. Very good (especially for its time) but nothing magical.

RustyGates

Measurements of the Dave here. Very good (especially for its time) but nothing magical.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ith-mscaler-by-goldensound.31741/post-1120627

GoldenSounds results don't count; its contradictory to many other measurements including Robs own APx555 results. Amir or Wolf needs to measure the device properly.

Attachments

• 1647907559486.png
    1647907559486.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 44

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DHT 845

You should see the comparison in the Chord DAVE review Amir posted today. Eye-opening, to say the least.
Right, great review, and also d70s was mentioned by Amirm ;-)

Top Bottom