• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with my setup! Hifiman He-400

Beatzler

I have a pc with an MPK 249 and Hifiman He-400’s. The hifimans are the originals not the newer editions. My sound just isn’t that impressive with them and I’ve read that I may need a Dac and Amplifier or combination with them. I am very confused on which route to take and what would give me the full sound I need to produce the most balanced tracks. I am willing to spend some money but nothing too crazy. If you think I should get some other headphones that’s an option too. Thanks in advance.

D!sco

Why not get a Magni/Modi stack? B stock and secondhand deals make them a very approachable option for headphone users and you won’t likely need anything better for some time. Most headphones above $100 don’t sound good with a standard computer’s built in DAC/AMP combo. I recommend you try the external versions before judging these headphones :)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
are you using EQ? If not, I would definitely start there.
I have used the HE400i for a number of months with the Qudelix 5k. Gives you PEQ. HE400 is best driven balanced, so you would need to substitute a balanced cable.Works great balanced.

OP
B

Beatzler

I am not. So with any of these I would need a different cable from my cans to the tip? Or is there a connector? I believe they only came with a 6.5 mm Jack but that’s unbalanced if I’m not mistaken.

raindance

Major Contributor
These are fairly efficient headphones and even sound great driven from a phone. Just apply the right EQ and you should be good. Make sure you bypass all the default Windows screwy-sound-settings. Adding an amp to your sound card will just boost the sound you already get which is probably not going to be an improvement. If the computer is the issue you need to bypass the sound card altogether and use an external DAC.

I use mine with a CI Audio amp EQ'd by my laptop, but also with my Samsung phone using Wavelet to provide EQ and they sound great in both situations.

Just trying to save you some money before you rush out and get an amp that may or may not make any difference at all.

I don't run mine balanced and have no desire to change anything. I have the HE4XX which are pretty close to yours.

OP
B

Beatzler

Ok. My motherboard is an asus b-550 plus. And maybe my settings in FL studio were messed up too. It just seemed very weak. I don’t mind spending 200 and below if it’s worth it.

raindance

Major Contributor
Also make sure you're plugged into the headphone out and not the line out.

D!sco

Is that stack a much better option than the ifi zen?
I can't say, since I've never heard it. I've heard good things, but you'll have to buy at your own discretion. Amazon takes returns of all kinds, so why not try it? The bar for budget headphone amps has been raised so high in the last few years it's hard to go wrong. Amazon customer service is your friend.

I used to run around with T50rp's on my head. I could make enough sound to hear all my music, and it was better than the junk I put in my ears before. After plugging them into a proper amp, they stayed at my desk forever. Even a budget amp makes a monumental difference to a serious set of cans.

shaney777

I went with the JDS Atom stack. I highly recommend checking those out! I research a lot and feel very good about the combo.

weasels

I think the Fiio k5 is on sale for prime day and that's a good one box option for dac/amp. Plug into that, then get PEACE equalizer installed in windows and you're good to go.

OP
B

Beatzler

I think the Fiio k5 is on sale for prime day and that's a good one box option for dac/amp. Plug into that, then get PEACE equalizer installed in windows and you're good to go.
I will check that one out. Thank you for the heads up

Top Bottom