• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with my Audeze LCD2 Frequency chart

Fernando

Forum Donor
Hello!

I have tried many of the preconceived parametric EQs but none have convinced me, some are horrendous.

Rechecking my frequency chart I have seen that none of the ones shown in the AutoEq / github list do not look like the answer from my Audeze.

I can't find any card in that list with such flat measurements and those drops in the acute zone.

I have written to Audeze to gather more information and they have answered me this:
“To the best of my knowledge, that serial appears to be an LCD-2 Rosewood, Rev2 (post-2011) pre-fazor model.”

Can some charitable soul help me in this matter and find a Parametric EQs that can be applied to the attached photo?

Regards!

54456123-C121-4CDC-8790-788034574227.jpeg

Pe8er

You could play with 2k (narrow), 4k (wide) and 6k (super narrow) - I think adding a few dB to each should help. I would ignore the 9k, as per Amir that area is unreliable in measurements so EQing might do more harm than good.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all, we need to know what target curve you're looking for.

I believe that the AutoEQ presets are more or less based on the Harman target. Have you heard that before from a different headphone?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Shelf the highs +5dB from 1kHz upwards.
Add some low bass shelf to taste.
Work from there. There is no one fits all EQ and all of them are kind of wrong.

OP
Fernando

Fernando

Forum Donor
First of all, we need to know what target curve you're looking for.

I believe that the AutoEQ presets are more or less based on the Harman target. Have you heard that before from a different headphone?
Yes, the Harman target is OK.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the Harman target is OK.

Alright, just eyeballing it, here's goes...

That FR chart looks like it's diffuse field compensated. DF has quite a bit more treble than the Harman curve so we don't need to shelve it up all the way to be level than the bass and lower mids. Lets start with:

High Shelf +4dB 2.5khz Q .5

Next we need to bring the bass up:

Low shelf +5db 100hz Q .8

Next there are a few small peaks in the treble to knock down.

You could go a little more precise and start with:

Peak -5db 12Khz Q 4
Peak -4.5db 7.3Khz Q 4
Peak -3db 5.2Khz Q 3.5

You could run your FR chart through a curve tracer, import into REW or something, and come up with something super precise, but IME going for too "surgical" of an EQ on headphones is counterproductive due to all the confounding factors.

If it sounds too dull, try playing with the peak filters, increasing the Q or raising the gain. Then increase the gain on the shelf filter.

If it sounds too bright, decrease the Q and lower the gain on the peaks. Then decrease the gain on the shelf filter.

OP
Fernando

Fernando

Forum Donor
Alright, just eyeballing it, here's goes...

That FR chart looks like it's diffuse field compensated. DF has quite a bit more treble than the Harman curve so we don't need to shelve it up all the way to be level than the bass and lower mids. Lets start with:

High Shelf +4dB 2.5khz Q .5

Next we need to bring the bass up:

Low shelf +5db 100hz Q .8

Next there are a few small peaks in the treble to knock down.

You could go a little more precise and start with:

Peak -5db 12Khz Q 4
Peak -4.5db 7.3Khz Q 4
Peak -3db 5.2Khz Q 3.5

You could run your FR chart through a curve tracer, import into REW or something, and come up with something super precise, but IME going for too "surgical" of an EQ on headphones is counterproductive due to all the confounding factors.

If it sounds too dull, try playing with the peak filters, increasing the Q or raising the gain. Then increase the gain on the shelf filter.

If it sounds too bright, decrease the Q and lower the gain on the peaks. Then decrease the gain on the shelf filter.

Thank’s!

These guidelines have helped me better understand eq.

Regards.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
does this eyeballed EQ apply to all LCD-2 series? as i am considering to get the Classic version.

In very broad strokes

The low and high shelves should probably be good for most of them, but each individual headphone (Audeze Lottery and all...) will have it's own individual peaks which will need to pushed down so it's not too bright after applying the high shelf.

hawk01

hmm “audeze lottery?”
i am not too familiar with it and by the looks of it sounds rather omenous! i would really hate to buy something that costs a pretty penny only to join a lottery... what is the deal on this if i may ask??

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hmm “audeze lottery?”
i am not too familiar with it and by the looks of it sounds rather omenous! i would really hate to buy something that costs a pretty penny only to join a lottery... what is the deal on this if i may ask??

Audeze has quite a reputation of variation from sample to sample.

Check out @solderdude's compilation of Tyll Hertsens Innerfidelity measurements. There are several samples of many Audeze models. Compare them to the multiple samples of the HD800, and even the original HD800 to the HD800S.

OP
Fernando

Fernando

Forum Donor
I have tried all the equalizations that exist and none of them work.

Now I have tried this one of my harvest and compared to the others it is wonderful!
Win by a landslide in bass, clarity and soundstage!

If anyone thinks that it can be improved, please contribute your ideas, always taking into account the letter I showed in the first post.

220D3720-2DD6-46EB-A834-2CB48916328E.jpeg
B4B03492-4CAC-42F1-93B8-5D2156503F37.jpeg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have tried all the equalizations that exist and none of them work.

Now I have tried this one of my harvest and compared to the others it is wonderful!
Win by a landslide in bass, clarity and soundstage!

If anyone thinks that it can be improved, please contribute your ideas, always taking into account the letter I showed in the first post.

View attachment 125255View attachment 125256

That is very precise. Did you find that as someone's suggestion, or create it yourself?

OP
Fernando

Fernando

Forum Donor
That is very precise. Did you find that as someone's suggestion, or create it yourself?

I have created it myself, noting how they solve the problems amirm, innerfidelity, crinacle, etc... i have looked at my cart and tried to compensate with a touch of my personal tastes.
I am a professional lyric musician, but I consider myself multidisciplinary.
I like to listen to all kinds of music ... the good kind. Obviously my preference is opera and classic music.

With this equalization the orchestral music improves a lot, but with songs like the following one it is a scandal !!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have created it myself, noting how they solve the problems amirm, innerfidelity, crinacle, etc... i have looked at my cart and tried to compensate with a touch of my personal tastes.
I am a professional lyric musician, but I consider myself multidisciplinary.

Sounds like you've got it then. :)

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+3db to 3.5k, make it wide so it's around +1 at 2k and dont leak above 6k.

Additionally bass shelf depends on your taste, listening loudness. Keep the bass shelf below 200 or even 150hz.

Imo lcd 2 tonality should be fine. Its audeze house sound without big quirks like older lcd x or 2c.

Phoney

2e624b657d98a8bec8bde3bc18515f74.png

I'm yet to try this on my new LCD-2F, I will try tomorrow. Will this +10db peak be problematic? It's the most recent version of LCD-2F, it's basically harman curve with this EQ.

MRC01

Major Contributor
At the risk of adding to an old thread...
My LCD-2 Fazors came with an individual measured curve that looks much like yours. It's a bit misleading since it's done against diffuse while we're more accustomed to seeing Harman. The Harman curve has too much bass and treble for my taste, like a teenager cranking up a "V" shaped EQ. Doesn't sound realistic to me, each to his own.
I prefer to apply a simple EQ that partially corrects the broad deviations but doesn't try to follow every wiggle in the response. It preserves the character of the original sound, yet improves it. Here's what I use with my LCD-2 Fazors (2016 drivers) as I've refined through measurement & listening over the years:
low shelf +2 dB 100 Hz Q=0.5
bell -2 dB 840 Hz Q=0.9
bell +4 dB 3350 Hz Q=0.7

ADU

Major Contributor
Your translation/compensation curve above looks pretty good, staticV3. The translation could probably be refined if there are other measurements that could be compared between the two rigs used by Audeze and Oratory1990. And then you could do some better comparisons with some of Ora's other headphone measurements.

If the diffuse field compensation on the Neumann KU 100 dummy is accurate though, then you might be able to compare Audeze's DF-compensated graphs directly with the sound power responses (or a slope approximating same) of some neutral loudspeakers. And sidestep Ora's measurements and the Harman target entirely. Whether this would work would depend entirely on the accuracy of Neumann's DF measurements of their rig, and how well their rig models the impedance behavior of a typical human ear. Even if it's not 100% accurate though, it might still get you in the general ballpark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom