• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with loss of Hifiman HE-6

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
EDIT: many kind donations were made and both the member who lost his headphone and I are extremely grateful.

Hello you all. Last weekend was a depressing one. I found out that the Hifiman HE-6 which I had return to its owner had vanished in UPS pipeline. :( This is the first package that I have sent out of hundreds that has gone missing. UPS quickly declared it lost on the claim and we are now working through the paperwork to get our shipping fee back and the automatic $100 insurance we have with the commercial account.

I could have paid insurance one everything I ship back but that would have cost us thousands of dollars by now. On specific instances members have asked for insurance and I have added that but in this case, we did not.

Given how good this headphone is, the owner is naturally very distraught over the loss. I like to make him whole somehow as he like others who loan gear, are serving the membership as much if not more than for themselves. I don't know what the options are for finding another unit. He is open to getting the HE-6SE but I am not sure of the availability of those either. And at any rate, these things are not cheap!

I like to see if we can raise the cash for equivalent replacement cost ($1,500 to $2,000 I am estimating). I can provide some of that, or sell some gear to raise that. On the latter, if you have seen something I have that I tested, please reach out to me with a good offer for this cause.

Otherwise, may I please have a show of hands on who can donate and how much? You can post it here or send me a message.

Also, if you have this headphone or the HE-6Se and want to sell it, please contact me and tell me the details.

Appreciate everyone's help on this. I have literally been sick to my stomach since I realized this has happened.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why not contact HiFiMan and see if they would do a special price for replacement of this older model for the member? They may have some floating around and I'm sure your review has brought some new business their way.

Would't hurt to ask.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not contact HiFiMan and see if they would do a special price for replacement of this older model for the member? They may have some floating around and I'm sure your review has brought some new business their way.

Would't hurt to ask.

Except that if Amir gets paid from a manufacturer in anyway shape or form because of a review the whole trust system this forum is based on will fall apart.

@amirm can you please elaborate on which gear you have that you might offer for sale? It might facilitate the fundraising efforts. I hope this situation is quickly resolved!

Hemi-Demon

$2,000 headphones, and no shipping insurance:facepalm::eek:. Sorry to the owner, I would be beyond:mad::mad::mad:. High cost to the Site or not, that's pretty irresponsible to not insure the users donated equipment.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
which gear you have that you might offer for sale? It might facilitate the fundraising efforts.
+1 excellent idea. An additional way might be to contact Amir to see if he already has (on the way) an untested headphone/piece of gear.

Then purchase and drop ship, with the OK for Amir to resell after test - with all/portion/$$ amount going to Fund, the rest back to Purchaser.. A '2 fer'..test, and Fund..:)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Except that if Amir gets paid from a manufacturer in anyway shape or form because of a review the whole trust system this forum is based on will fall apart.

Hardly. The company could make something right or at least help the member. The member has already stumped up his cash, sent the headphones for review and they were well reviewed. If I was HiFiMan, I would sure send the member (not Amir) a new pair with my compliments. Or at least offer him a trade price.

That's why I'd contact HiFiMan direct.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange that UPS declared it lost right away. I've had packages get lost in their system and UPS always took some time doing a trace. Eventually in every case I've had the package was eventually found.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardly. The company could make something right or at least help the member. The member has already stumped up his cash, sent the headphones for review and they were well reviewed. If I was HiFiMan, I would sure send the member (not Amir) a new pair with my compliments. Or at least offer him a trade price.

That's why I'd contact HiFiMan direct.

That sounds fair. However, since the headphones are discontinued i find it really difficult that any of this would happen. They may not even have any available.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
We must make this person whole. It is the basis of how Amir gets equipment to test. I don’t see any grey area if HiFiMan were to step up and help the member. As long as Amir gains nothing in the transaction, he owes them nothing.

RoyB

Forum Donor
two10s and a 5 are on its way....glad to help.... BTW, I just sent $125 worth of parts to a fellow and USPS said it was undeliverable and returned to a central recovery location. Now they can't find it. Non of which makes a bit of sense. With USPS we only have $50 included insurance. First package I've lost in near 50 years and thousands of packages.....

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We must make this person whole. It is the basis of how Amir gets equipment to test. I don’t see any grey area if HiFiMan were to step up and help the member. As long as Amir gains nothing in the transaction, he owes them nothing.
I agree with this completely. I’ve had the occasional Amazon order disappear. It happens, but we need to know we have each other’s backs if we send expensive equipment in for testing. What we get for free on this forum is costing others. There’s no such thing as a free lunch.

Top Bottom