• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Hp amp/dac combo - 2500 ish

Northenlight

Im looking for a headphone system that will stand the test of time.. or something I can enjoy for a long time atleast.
Living in north Europe so my options seems a bit limited when browsing the world.
I have Focal clear mg's and been looking at Hifiman Aryas so the system should run these smoothly. I enjoy listening to everything, from hiphop, classic, rock and pop.
The system will be connected to my desktop computer with usb also a bluetooth options for lazy time in sofa would be preferred. Also a XLR output for the possibility for longer cable is needed.

So Im looking at these options for now:

Burson conductor 3xP, around 1.8k dollars. - This seems like a go for option
Burson conductor 3xR, around 2.7k d. - Is it worth the extra from preferense model
Burson soloist 3x, around 1.6k d + Dac maybe Gustard x18 and pair of xlr cables around 0.9k d total 2.5k - If I go this route maybe the 3xR is better.
The above I could get domestic.
Looking more south I could order Violectric DHA V380 around 2.4k d - No bluetooth and need to order from abroad
Then I could just go with a Topping A90/D90 combo or mix it a bit like A90/Ares II and add a bluetooth reciever for smaller money but then I need to order faraway and Im a bit sceptic with warranties and such.
Did I miss any obvious combo or is this the track to go?

Been reading a lot but making the decision is hard, help me in the right direction please:)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, the RME ADI-2 DAC is pretty much the best AIO on the market. It has excellent measured performance, enough power for most anything short of the HE-6, and a ton of useful DSP features such as PEQ, dynamic loudness compensation, and tone controls.

It doesn't have BT though.

OP
N

Northenlight

Thanks, I have been looking at RME ADI-2 and I really like the Eq feature and the price. I think I need balanced xlr output for headphone tough, thinking of having dac/amp mounted beside comp and theres a couple of meters to sofa.
I have been thinking Soloist 3x/RME ADI comp but it feels silly to pay for two amps when I only need one, also BT would be nice. Still maybe starting off with the RME ADI and just go singelended by computer could be the way to go.

dresler

I think I need balanced xlr output for headphone tough, thinking of having dac/amp mounted beside comp and theres a couple of meters to sofa.
I sometimes use a 3 meter extension cable with my RME and my HD800s. Have yet to experience any noise interference. YMMV of course, but I doubt it'd ever be an issue.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I have been looking at RME ADI-2 and I really like the Eq feature and the price. I think I need balanced xlr output for headphone tough, thinking of having dac/amp mounted beside comp and theres a couple of meters to sofa.
No, you don't need a more powerful amp because of a few meters of additional cable. And I second the RME, it has all one needs. Stay away from Burson - I haven't seen one but the opamps they sell for opamp rolling are snake oil and usually measure worse than standard opamps, as far as I know.

OP
N

Northenlight

Well thanks guys, this was pretty much what I needed to hear:) Reading reviews back and forth just makes things too complicated, and different brands in different parts of world even worse.. Luckily RME is one I can try out easy, so if it feels good I go the easy path.
Thanks again!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This reminds me that we need some brave member to buy some of the newer pricey Burson stuff and send it to Amir for testing. Popcorn time I reckon. (I say that as someone who bought one long ago before I realised their game).

charleski

Major Contributor
Some basic measurements of the Burson Virtuoso model are here. It’s … ok, not as bad as some audiophile gear, but there’s nothing to justify the steep price tag. Looks like something aimed at people who want to spend a lot of money for a nice case.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some basic measurements of the Burson Virtuoso model are here. It’s … ok, not as bad as some audiophile gear, but there’s nothing to justify the steep price tag. Looks like something aimed at people who want to spend a lot of money for a nice case.
I think that's an older design. Their stuff from the last few years has a different look. But they keep the naming very similar.

charleski

Major Contributor
I think that's an older design. Their stuff from the last few years has a different look. But they keep the naming very similar.
Yes, they’ve clearly given their house look a thorough overhaul. But it does seem an evolutionary step from their earlier stuff. High-quality industrial design costs, especially when you’re dealing with fairly small production runs. There’s nothing wrong in spending money on that as long as the insides are good enough to do the job and you’re honest about what you’re spending the money on. And if the current offerings are similar to the older gear that was measured, then that might be the case. The old design is certainly better than the Phonitor, which looks very nice indeed, but falls apart badly into low impedances.

OP
N

Northenlight

Im having super happy times, straight out of box boom I really like it:D:D:D Digging into the manual and features is even more fun:cool:
Thanks again!

RME.PNG

Top Bottom