• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help With EQ (Klipsch HP-3 and Audeze LCD-3)

concorde1

My Fostex TH900 mk2 sounds perfect to me with the EQ preset from Oratory1990.

My Klipsch HP-3 sounds somewhat tinny with the Crinacle (GRAS) preset.

My Audeze LCD-3 sounds a bit too bassy and not neutral with the Oratory1990 preset.

My Audeze has an individual frequency response chart (see below). My Klipsch does not as far as I know.

I'm not versed with understanding what parts of the frequency response are wrong or right by listening.

Perhaps the Klipsch has distortion, or perhaps there is a peak(s) somewhere that is not present in Crinacle's measured HP-3.

My Audeze's graph simply doesn't match Oratory1990's measured LCD-3, so could I possibly get help with EQ-ing my Audeze to the Harman target?

There seems to be hope for the Audeze in EQ-ing but I have no idea how I can EQ my Klipsch, not knowing its frequency response. :(

For reference, the relevant Crinacle and Oratory1990 measured headphones are here:
LCD3.png

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not versed with understanding what parts of the frequency response are wrong or right by listening.

There are several ways you can improve your abilities to fine-tune EQ profiles by ear. Personally I'd recommend having a playlist of songs you're intimately familiar with and simply play with EQ. If you add a filter with this or that combination of settings and quickly toggle it on or off, what does it do to the song ? Rinse and repeat. It won't be fast but it's free and IMO the most rewarding long-term as you're in control of both the material and the filters' settings.
Having a set of decent speakers decently setup IMO helps with providing some reference to avoid straying too far.
There also are plenty of training softwares / websites on the web.

My Audeze's graph simply doesn't match Oratory1990's measured LCD-3, so could I possibly get help with EQ-ing my Audeze to the Harman target?

It was measured on a different test fixture which results should not be compared with the ear simulators Oratory1990 uses. The Neumann unit wasn't designed to measure headphones' FR per se, and is best limited to performing quality assurance duties in that context. Oratory's ear simulators are a better approximation of the human anatomy.
Since we'd be interested in knowing what the transfer function is between the Neumann unit and Oratory's 711 fixtures for a single model only, perhaps (just perhaps, IDK), it could theoretically be possible to use the Neumann graphs of the unit(s) that was tested by Oratory, if available, and yours, to trace the difference and apply it to the 711 measurements, but it's a bit of a stretch.
You can reduce the concern of sample variation by having your own sample measured by Oratory or Amir for example.
Then you still may face variation because of how that model couples with your own anatomy, so it's a good idea anyway to learn how to fine-tune EQ presets on your own :D.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

@godmax To me, at this point in time, first one sounds too bassy, second one sounds bright. Interesting.

@MayaTlab I've just now asked Audeze if they did a GRAS measurement too. I've just been playing round with EQ as you suggested. I feel like I've already gotten to an improvement over the AutoEQ - but I could come back tomorrow and think "What was I thinking!?". At the moment the EQ I made sounds great. I just did 10 bands of fairly even spread and Q=1 for all, adjusting gain till it sounded OK.

Hopefully Audeze did do a GRAS measurement for my LCD-3.

Today I tried out my personal EQ's from last night for HP-3 and LCD-3 after a rest from listening. They're actually not bad at all. Though I'm sure the LCD-3 could be made even better with help to EQ the graph in my OP to Harman Curve.
Did you settle on an EQ for Klipsch HP3. I have this headphone and need an EQ profile

Oh I see.

I just tried that Gras preset and it has transformed the headphone. My own EQ was good too, but I am not well versed with EQing. So I needed en expert EQ. These Klipsch properly sound like an $1500 headphone. Detail and clarity at every frequency.

The tinny feel that you mentioned was heard at the stock tuning, not anymore. You can tame the treble a little to make them even less tinny, if you still feel that way.

Top Bottom