• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with configuration speakers + subwoofer + DAC + amplifier + cd-cassette player

NappyRob

Hello everyone I wanted to ask you about a configuration that I have in mind, I have a dozen cassettes that I would like to use and I thought about buying the Teac AD-850 player with cassette and CD player, right now I have Audioengine P4 speakers with a DAC Pro-Ject Box S2 + and I would like to add a small Foxtex subwoofer and use it with my current amplifier SMSL 36A Pro.

My question is how do I make the connections without giving up the DAC?? The amp would be connected to the speakers by stripped wire and to the DAC by RCA, with the DAC I would use an RCA duplicator to connect it to the subwoofer and the amp, but the question I have is how do I get the sound from the player through the DAC?

This is the pics of each component for you to see.

Thanks and best regards.
20160829170624_54785.jpg_500x500.jpg

Teac-AD-850-B-cassette-Cd-conexiones.jpg

galeria26233-001.jpg

preview.jpg

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
but the question I have is how do I get the sound from the player through the DAC?
Looks like you need some input selector/passive pre like schiit SYS.
Also I'd try to use playback of your Teac with "Line in" source when DAC is connected to "line in".
Maybe it can be used as "going trough" mode and you don't need additional equipment.

OP
N

NappyRob

In the schematic of the TEAC manual it seems that you have to connect the two RCA to the amplifier, IN and OUT, if there is a free IN, what would I have to connect the DAC? And in that case another RCA port would be necessary for the subwoofer.

I am very ignorant when it comes to preamplifiers and these kinds of connections so you will have to excuse me.

1628375854237.png

FeddyLost

seems that you have to connect the two RCA to the amplifier, IN and OUT, if there is a free IN, what would I have to connect the DAC?
I think it's an example.
Try to connect
DAC > Teac Line in
and
Teac Line out > Amp
And select source in Teac "Line" (page 17 of english manual)
If DAC will play through internal loopback of Teac, your problem is solved.
I think any cassette deck (and any recorder) must be able to play analogue source on its inputs.

OP
N

NappyRob

I don't have the TEAC in my hands yet so I can't check this configuration, I wanted to ask beforehand in case there is a risk that I don't have a solution so I don't have to return the unit.

In any case, thanks for the information.

OP
N

NappyRob

I think it's an example.
Try to connect
DAC > Teac Line in
and
Teac Line out > Amp
If DAC will play through internal loopback of Teac, your problem is solved.
I think any cassette deck (and any recorder) must be able to play analogue source on its inputs.
By the way in this configuration, how is the subwoofer connected?

Zek

Major Contributor
Try to connect
DAC > Teac Line in
and
Teac Line out > Amp
I don't think it works that way.
The “IN” connectors are for recording and the “OUT” connectors are for playback.

Hipper

From what I can see, the TEAC is analogue out only, no digital out. The analogue in I would guess is so that you can record onto the cassette from some other source. Therefore you won't need and can't use your DAC with the TEAC.

The 'Amplifier' referred to in your diagram I suspect means an integrated amp, a combined pre-amp and power amp. That means with an integrated amp (or pre-amp) you could send an analogue signal to the TEAC for recording. This might come from another source attached to the pre-amp such as a tuner.

If you still want to connect your DAC to your amp at the same time as the TEAC, but not to be played at the same time, you could get a 'Y' connector such as this:

Y splitter

If you don't intend to buy any more cassettes would it be an idea to convert them to CD (or some other digital source)? Then you would only need a CD Transport to attach to your DAC and onto your amp.

Zek

Major Contributor
with the DAC I would use an RCA duplicator to connect it to the subwoofer and the amp
How do you intend to adjust the speaker and subwoofer volume simultaneously?

OP
N

NappyRob

@Hipper My idea is to keep buying cassettes, I don't have a too extensive collection, but I want to keep expanding it, there are versions of the same album that I like as much or more than digital/vinyl and I would like to listen to it in this format. I also don't rule out the possibility of buying a cassette recorder to digitize it in an acceptable quality (maybe I'll open a new thread asking for recommendations).

If I can't use the DAC, how could I improve the digital playback of the TEAC? I have thought about buying an amplifier with a good integrated DAC and a subwoofer output, although I don't know if that combination would work.

OP
N

NappyRob

How do you intend to adjust the speaker and subwoofer volume simultaneously?
I have no idea, the truth is that all the subwoofers I have had have been for PC and that function was already integrated, the Foxtex is the first model outside the PC market that I would buy.

Hipper

As Zek says, the TEAC is only analogue out so you are stuck with that. There are some CD players that have both an analogue out and digital out. This gives you the choice of using the CD player's own DAC, or one of your choice. A cassette player is purely analogue and will not need the use of a DAC. If you get the TEAC you may find its DAC is fine.

It seems to me you are restricted by your amp. However you could use the switching device suggested by VanO (post 13). You could then get separate cassette and CD players and connect them through the switch to your amp. If you can find a CD player with digital out then you can use your DAC. Getting separates means that if you have a problem with say the CD player, you only replace that. Of course it does mean more boxes and cables.

For the long term I suggest you look at the whole system to judge what is best for you. You don't have to buy everything all at once but when you can afford it. You could also check out the used market to reduce costs.

Keep your speakers but leave open everything else - amps, DACs, sources. You may be right in thinking of getting a subwoofer in the future so consider an amp that can handle this.

You want to play CDs and cassettes. Any other sources you might like - radio, a computer via USB, Roon etc., an equaliser? Are you listening at a desk or in a room? Do you want to use headphones too?

Build a picture of what equipment is the best option for you. In the older days it would have been an integrated amp with various separates - turntable, cassette, CD, tuner. These days you can get music servers with umpteen options including DAC, EQ and other stuff. There are also the various Topping products which seem to be well thought of on here.

OP
N

NappyRob

@Hipper Thanks for the information, I think that in the end I will discard the idea of the TEAC player, the fact of not being able to use a dedicated DAC is a very big handicap so I am thinking of buying a cassette player/recorder of good quality/price as right now in the market there are very few new products, I will look in the second hand market, I am thinking of the CT-W606DR that when it comes to eliminate the background noise is one of the best there is.

I will looking a subwoofer since with my Audioengine P4 I notice that it lacks bass and later I will buy a good cassette deck.

Hipper

Like all pretty old products you need to be careful that the key components work. With cassette players I believe it is the heads that are the most vulnerable. Yamaha was also a good make ones.

For CD players it is the laser itself that needs checking. Marantz was often considered good.

I don't know where you could find trusted reviews of these products. There are only a few on here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

In the box at the top called 'Type' look for 'Player (Tape)' and 'Player (Disc)'.

Top Bottom