• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with choosing a studio monitor.

Huang Jerry

So I sold off some gear, and instead of being a financially wise man, I decided that I needed a proper pair of studio monitor.

I'm choosing between two pairs:
- Klein + Hummel O110 in very good condition, for SGD650 (USD470, EUR455)
- Kali LP6 (not V2) brand new in box, for SGD500 (USD375, EUR350)

I prefer a "clean" neutral sound, and I'm quite sensitive to distortion in all frequencies
I listen to everything from soft jazz to death metal,
Criteria: needs to do anything between watching cat videos and mastering very well.

My listening room cell is 2.8m (length) x 3.5m (width), so yeah, near-field listening only.
The room is untreated and speakers are placed on a desk 1.5m apart, 10° toe in and ~30cm to the wall.

I liked both of these speakers after I auditioned them both in a store (with full anechoic room treatment).
I would love to have something proven and legendary of its neutrality, but it is pretty rewarding (and comforting) to buy brand new.

My only concern with the Kali is that it will be too large for my setup, as for the O110, its only problem is that it's $50 beyond my budget.

Answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Have a great day.
Jerry.

astcal

Forum Donor
you will most likely get advice here of something like Genelec or Neumann, which are out of your price range but definitely worth it. If you absolutely can't stretch your budget, you may want to take a look of iLoud Micro.

radix

Major Contributor

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
K&H O110 looks like a nice monitor, even if a little older:

D1C8AA9A-1B5C-4A9C-A2C2-7DDB427B22DD.png
Predecessor of the KH120 I think?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I tried to test the bass level handling of my O110s at one point... my ears gave out first! By contrast, the 3rd harmonic on my old Tascams with some known relay issues was plainly audible.

You can get unlucky with the O110s' mains transformers as evidenced by one of mine that has increased buzz and seems sensitive to DC on the mains... but in general they're a pretty quiet affair, unlike the well-documented hiss levels on the v1 Kalis.

My K+Hs cost me a fair bit more, and that was pre-pandemic. So even if they're stretching your budget, I would consider them a good deal. The only thing that the Kalis would do better out of the box is bass extension, but you could still help that with some EQ if needed.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try to rotate your position in cell if that's possible and move desk a bit from the wall. Try with Kali LP-6 V2 not V1 they hisss along with a sub (and you really don't need to go for overkill one 12" 300+ W).

Last edited:
Top Bottom