• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Chinese Language

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very elegant solution. Welcome to ASR.

Perhaps it is better to filter the problematic phrases related to the spam first and see how well that works alone. I've noticed that in regular conversation here, members more than once have posted excerpts from other sites, usually in Chinese- and provided a translation in the case of a new product being launched from a Chinese brand when the news has not made it to western audiences yet. I remember another case- someone was having problems reading a Chinese or Japanese manual or guide for a product and I provided a transcription and translation. While not extremely common on an english-speaking forum, there may be valid cases to use those characters that don't include spam.
Good point. Possibly one could exclude quoted content from the rule. A more complex regexp could take care of that.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Perhaps it is better to filter the problematic phrases related to the spam first and see how well that works alone. I've noticed that in regular conversation here, members more than once have posted excerpts from other sites, usually in Chinese- and provided a translation in the case of a new product being launched from a Chinese brand when the news has not made it to western audiences yet. I remember another case- someone was having problems reading a Chinese or Japanese manual or guide for a product and I provided a transcription and translation. While not extremely common on an english-speaking forum, there may be valid cases to use those characters that don't include spam.

on such rare occasions it would make more sense to do a screenshot (picture) than a copy/paste of the text itself

my policy on admining a 3k+ userpool mailsystem was to start rough and add exceptions (whitelisting) later, it not only spared my nerves but also had better up-time all-in-all

GeekyBastard

Why not just add a rule into your htaccess to block the users netblock?
I block all of Russia and China plus a couple others. Not worth the hassle.
Seriously? What do you mean by “not worth the hassle”?

I got at least 10 friends around me who views ASR daily from China, and the scale must be higher nationwide, just look at how many audiophiles in China talk about ASR when they're reviewing equipments, Tieba, L7Audiolab, Erji.net, Coolapk, you name it.

Since ASR is a public forum on the internet, it's like nuking a house because there's a mosquito flying in it.

GeekyBastard

@amirm What kind of filter does this forum backend accept? Regex or simple word lists separated by "|"?

I might be able to make a keyword blacklist for you.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
He was there when we first started. Kept it up for a while but then disappeared. Then he came back a year or two later, and left again. Now he is back and has been around for a month or so. I have upped the various countermeasures making his life more difficult so he may disappear again.

“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him…”

GeekyBastard

@amirm I wrote these keywords list myself and made several versions, since I don't know which one the backend could use, the words I picked were tested effective against Chinese online advertisement, and I included both simplified and traditional Chinese characters words, hope this would help.

(The files were saved in UTF-8 in case you got scrambled characters.)

Attachments

• Keywords_Blacklist_Comma.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Keywords_Blacklist_Simple.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Keywords_Blacklist_Verticle_Bar.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 51

JSmith

Master Contributor
Seems odd... these are not being blocked even though they contain the items already suggested for the block list;

1650949014834.png

There may be some info buried in this thread;

JSmith

GeekyBastard

Seems odd... these are not being blocked even though they contain the items already suggested for the block list;
I was wondering if my filter list above helped Amir or not... It already contains all those keywords.

mSpot

You could also consider some different approaches (not sure how possible these are). For example, limit members with less than 20 posts to no more than 1 post per hour. You can also require a Captcha test for the first x posts. A spammer who is determined can get past these obstacles but they are probably targeting hundreds of websites at once and you just have to make it not worth their time or effort to focus on yours.

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

Hello fellow forum members that speak/read Chinese. We have a super persistent spammer from China that keeps typing stuff like this almost every night:
Hi Amir, I wonder if my filter list above did any help? I can adjust some words and criterias if that's needed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps it is better to filter the problematic phrases related to the spam first and see how well that works alone. I've noticed that in regular conversation here, members more than once have posted excerpts from other sites, usually in Chinese- and provided a translation in the case of a new product being launched from a Chinese brand when the news has not made it to western audiences yet.
Good consideration. Fortunately our spam filters only work on first 10 posts. Past that they are trusted members and not spam checked. So this only becomes an inconvenient for new members.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir, I wonder if my filter list above did any help? I can adjust some words and criterias if that's needed.
Well, I have not seen the spammer since! Either he got tired of us or got bored. Will revisit when he comes back.

Presently42

As china is an dictatorship with a frightening level of electronic surveillance can we not report this guy to some police or secret police in China , so he ends up in some gulag ?
My word, that's a rather large leap: from occasional spam poster to gulag??

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Spammer came back an hour ago! Got caught with my spam keyword of University. So I got to zap him after the first post. Not sure why that doesn't always catch him.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Chinese character for Big nabbed a normal member post though. I think he forgot to use language translator. At least we know that filter is working.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Meh it would be best if some fellow Chinese would actually talk to him and ask him politely to stop what ever he thinks he is doing and explain to him how he fails the purpose anyway as nobody understands it and it gets quickly removed. That's a best bet to make him stop permanently.

So much hate and racism on this thread that it should be deleted.

Top Bottom