• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with by passing windows volumes - or do I need it?

lovesound

Dear
I tried both foobar and JRiver software to play FLAC and DFF files.
I have a bit better luck with JRiver (easier to setup) but I manage to have both workings but.... the volume button of window10 still can reduce or increase the volume of the DAC? How come.
I saw the red line in my DAC (Topping NX4) for DSD. but the volume of windows still effect.
Please see screen shot attached
Screenshot 2021-07-19 161214.png

thank you all

hege

Forum Donor
It's quite normal for xmos dacs to capture windows volume control. So it changing dac h/w volume directly, which is fine.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^I think it is that he was expecting that option [Exclusive mode] to disable the Windows volume control /mixer. That happened one day (the day after I began with a new DAC/speakers) with manufacturer ASIO driver, but then never again. ...But I go between Soundcloud / Youtube / WMP local files all the time, so...[?shrug]

Last edited:

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Xmos based Topping D30Pro:
Can change volume in Windows while playing WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO mode. Also changing sample/bit rate or enable/disable sound effects locks/crashes the playback of the D30pro

Amanero based Audio-GD:
Can change volume, bit/sample rate or enable/disable sound effects without it actually having any effect on the audio playback with WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO selected.

Makes one wonder how "exclusive" the Xmos D30pro is.
Amanero Audio-GD playback is unaffected by anything I change in the property window or volume setting, confirms that it indeed completely bypasses the Windows audio stack.

hege

Forum Donor
Makes one wonder how "exclusive" the Xmos D30pro is.

There is nothing to wonder. If you don't see audio visualisation flashing in sound control panel when playing, then it's not going through windows mixer. I'm sure it's normal that some audio device reset happens if you start changing sample rates on the device settings.

1626810689916.png

Xmos (thesycon driver) captures the windows volume control and you can see the setting changing in the Xmos control panel too at the same time, if you look. The volume calculation itself might happen in xmos driver/chip or dac h/w depending what the hardware supports.

Katji

Major Contributor
Edifier S3000 Thesycon/XMOS ASIO driver...as per that screenshot^^^ but there was that one day when the Windows volume control/mixer was disabled.
Previous DAC, I can't remember :-s ...I'd have to get it out and try it.
In both cases, though, Windows [Allow exclusive access] and all enhancements stuff switched off.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Know that the foobar or any players send the original or bypassed signal to the dac?

If the DAC has a sample rate display, easy. The DAC rate should equal the track rate per your player software/ file info. If it was going through the windows stack it would never change and report whatever windows is set to. This wont help if you dont listen to anything above 44.1khz sample rate and have set windows to the same of course.

Katji

Major Contributor
In the case of the previous DAC, I don't know. The DAC was not close enough for me to see and...
...But I go between Soundcloud / Youtube / WMP local files all the time, so...[?shrug] [and ASR and whatever, all the time.]
...there was nothing I could've done about it anyway.
The local files which are >44.1 are few - mostly a few CD rips.
I assumed the DAC handled it because SMSL ASIO driver and Windows set to allow device exclusive mode.
[ I could do a rant about how I will not change how I listen to music and so on...which is not absolutely unique...]
Now the DAC is inside the speaker - not visible. (You know, like they used to be inside CD players, just digital-analog converters, before the days of "my first DAC" and "What DAC to pair with my..." and so on.)
So...

Top Bottom