• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with broken Sub Out connector

Gort

Hi all,

I have got a pretty good Denon deck, but the Sub out (RCA) plug is broken off, and its not an easy thing to get to internally and fix. I was wondering if I could maybe use the Tape - Rec Out RCA plug instead, going to a line-level crossover to get the channel back.

Not even sure that would even work. Amazon has something cheap that looks like it might fit the bill but the reviews are iffy - so not sure if this would work going from Tape Out then to my powered sub?

Or can I run from tape out directly to the sub since the sub does have low pass and gain knobs on it?

Any other thoughts or suggestions totally welcome. Would hate to throw receiver out or pay for another one if there's a reasonable workaround.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
its not an easy thing to get to internally and fix.
Can you solder? Can you get to the connections? Worst case you should be able to cut & solder an RCA cable and dangle it out the back. A long time ago I has a similar situation and mounted new RCA connectors at a different place on the back of a receiver with wires running to the PC board.

Or can I run from tape out directly to the sub since the sub does have low pass and gain knobs on it?
Tape-out isn't volume controlled. Preamp-outs will work if your receiver has them (just use one... don't short left & right together). But, you won't get the LFE ("point 1" channel) from movies.

OP
G

Gort

Can you solder? Can you get to the connections? Worst case you should be able to cut & solder an RCA cable and dangle it out the back. A long time ago I has a similar situation and mounted new RCA connectors at a different place on the back of a receiver with wires running to the PC board.

Tape-out isn't volume controlled. Preamp-outs will work if your receiver has them (just use one... don't short left & right together). But, you won't get the LFE ("point 1" channel) from movies.
As far as soldering, I'm just ok with it - a bit shaky, but its more challenging to take all the molded pieces apart I noticed when I got the cover off - it's buried in a cluster of boards and not accessible without undoing a lot of boardwork - not sure if its all plug removable at first glance. That was my first thought to until I saw where/what it would entail.

The pre-amp out - I added a pic here. The highlighted plug is the broken one, but I'm assuming from what you are saying I could use the FL and FR plugs to L and R on the sub RCA's... I would still need that crossover or something like it?

And thanks a million for taking the time to help!!

Attachments

• broken_plugJPG.JPG
    broken_plugJPG.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom