• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Apple Music issue

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can no longer shuffle the songs in my library in Apple Music - on either iPhone XS or iPad. Press 'shuffle' on the 'songs' page in library, and loading starts then goes to 'not playing'.
Downloaded songs can be shuffled ok.
Shuffle songs works on Windows 10 PC in iTunes.
Apple support had me signing out and resyncing the library - but this didn't work.
I can play my 'station', and that plays a shuffle of sorts, but I'm not sure it selects newer additions to the library, and seems to repeat quite a few songs. And repeats artists frequently whereas shuffle seemed to be more varied.
I have explored all the settings and can't get the shuffle songs option to work - it used to do this fine, one day it worked, the next it stopped.
Any thoughts?
Ta

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can no longer shuffle the songs in my library in Apple Music - on either iPhone XS or iPad. Press 'shuffle' on the 'songs' page in library, and loading starts then goes to 'not playing'.
Downloaded songs can be shuffled ok.
Shuffle songs works on Windows 10 PC in iTunes.
Apple support had me signing out and resyncing the library - but this didn't work.
I can play my 'station', and that plays a shuffle of sorts, but I'm not sure it selects newer additions to the library, and seems to repeat quite a few songs. And repeats artists frequently whereas shuffle seemed to be more varied.
I have explored all the settings and can't get the shuffle songs option to work - it used to do this fine, one day it worked, the next it stopped.
Any thoughts?
Ta
Can't speak to apple music specifically but in my experience of the mobile apps of quite a few streaming services, shuffling large selections/collections becomes problematic.

It seems to either fail or shuffle a limited subset. I can only assume shuffling large selections of cloud stored files is resource intensive on the mobile device so either work arounds implemented or operation fails.

OP
B

BinkieHuckerback

Can't speak to apple music specifically but in my experience of the mobile apps of quite a few streaming services, shuffling large selections/collections becomes problematic.

It seems to either fail or shuffle a limited subset. I can only assume shuffling large selections of cloud stored files is resource intensive on the mobile device so either work arounds implemented or operation fails.
Cheers, thanks for replying. I suspected something similar having been through every setting I can think of.
I'll just have to live with the limitations of the 'radio station' option, and anyway, the selection of songs might get more diverse the more I use it.

OP
B

BinkieHuckerback

So, for anyone that is interested -
After lots of faffing around with this, I eventually got the 'library too big' notice (100,000 songs?)
So I set about pruning the library.
And this was useful and therapeutic.
Useful because it worked - allowing me to add new music and to shuffle the songs again.
And therapeutic in that it got me to engage with the music collection again.
I was able to get rid of lots of stuff I don't listen to, and to rationalise the library, deleting 'alternative' editions of albums, for example.
I decided to stick with the latest 'remastered editions' where appropriate.
And for live albums that covered two CDs, there was often a digital version that was shown as just one album.
I didn't listen to determine if there was a difference before deciding to delete; I don't think I would be able to tell.
And I don't think I needed umpteen live Deep Purple and Judas Priest recordings.
As well as getting rid of all those free CDs that used to come with music magazines or newspapers.
So, happy days again.
I just wish that there was a way to keep track of the number of...tracks there are in the library.
I think there might be a way to do this in iTunes...but don't get me started on iTunes...

Top Bottom