• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with acoustic treatment

krips

Hello. I have made up a roughly accurate floor plan of my upstairs living room. I have a theater room downstairs, but upstairs has hardwood suspended floors, 9' ceilings, and few areas I can make panels for. The only areas I can potentially treat are the "TV" wall and behind the seating position above the furniture. Any advice as to which would be optimal for diffusers, absorption panels etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.
Floor Plan.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Opinion:

I'd probably try putting something behind the sofa.

I have 7" thick rockwool standing behind mine (even though the sofa is not against the wall).

The sidewalls are distant enough not to appear to be a particular problem.

If the room is particularly lively - check echo/reverb with a handclap) - some additional absorption might be helpful

It's obviously not a dedicated listening space, so live with what you have, for the most part.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for thick rockwool absorbers behind on the wall behind the couch. And if you're willing to, the same thing on the wall behind the TV/speakers.

Of the two surfaces you say you're willing to treat, absorption is by far the best approach.

OP
K

krips

Thanks for replies. I'm definitely not doing 7" lol. I do have other family members. I will see what I can do about 1.5" or 3" panels in the front and back then. Thanks guys!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for replies. I'm definitely not doing 7" lol. I do have other family members. I will see what I can do about 1.5" or 3" panels in the front and back then. Thanks guys!

In case you're not aware, there are plenty of companies around that will print whatever you like onto an absorber panel so that it looks a bit like a canvas print. Just be sure to get the thickest your loved ones will let you get away with :)

Top Bottom