• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with a desktop setup - speakers, headphones and mic

Hi All,
I'm in the process of trying to update my desktop audio setup. For the last 20+ years I've been using videologic sirroco crossfires (since nobody has ever heard of them, here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/486 ) in a 2.1 setup. For headphones and mic, I've been using a sennheiser PC 363D. I think it's time for an upgrade.

I've included a picture of my desk because, although it's big, it presents a little big of a challenging space to deal with. In general, I'd like to keep my case on the desk, and although I could move it to the side, closer to the side window, it does take up a fair bit of real estate. I could also lift my monitors a bit higher or get mounting arms for them, but part of the problem is that it's not entirely clear where bigger speakers would go.
PXL_20220908_193654304.jpg

I'm trying to keep my total budget under $1000 dollars, and I'm not against passive or active setups. Either would be fine.

I've been considering the Vanatoo T0s, but am at a bit of a loss when it comes to headphones/headphone amp/dac. I'm also not against going bigger and passive, but then I'd be looking for advice on how to accomodate speakers like that on my desk. Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but any input would be appreciated!

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would be trying to get your speakers as far apart as possible and up higher so tweeters are closer to ear height. Get a couple of mounts for your monitors to get them off the desk (on the right track there), move the PC to next to your printer or even better get a trolley for the printer (wireless an option?).

There's a good thread here somewhere with pics of everyone's desktop setups which might give you some ideas.

I would be trying to get your speakers as far apart as possible and up higher so tweeters are closer to ear height. Get a couple of mounts for your monitors to get them off the desk (on the right track there), move the PC to next to your printer or even better get a trolley for the printer (wireless an option?).

There's a good thread here somewhere with pics of everyone's desktop setups which might give you some ideas.
I think you are referring to this thread:

@ForbiddenDonut - as @Peluvius mentioned - getting the speakers off of your desk opens up a lot of opportunities. You could easily wall mount some powered monitors (on each side of the window that your desk is facing) and a sub - look at Audioengine or Edifier...or ??? Lot's of opinions here.

Personally, I am running a Schiit Audio front end (Modius / Lokius / Magnius) USB from my MacBook into some active monitors / sub. My speakers are actually next to me (right angle) vs in front of me. I also have a right angle desk setup but my main desk is a motorized standing desk. (Fully Jarivs)

You mention a microphone...is this for Zoom / MS Teams calls?

I use a Logitech c920s webcam for web calls but for my mic I use a Yealink MP54 couple to my Microsoft Teams / Business Voice account.

If I am doing a press / media interview then I use my Audient ID4 / with an ADK Area 51 large diaphragm condenser mic. For the camera I use my iPhone 13 Pro and CAMO.

index.php

Good luck....

Top Bottom