• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with a best combo for hd6xx

Hernanaqp25

I am new in this world of hi fi and to start I bought the hd6xx from the drop company, those headphones will arrive in 1 week.
I'm looking for an amp + dac that can be a good combo with these headphones (the best I can get with my budget) for each one I have approximately $ 160, and I'm looking for options that I can buy from Aliexpress, because in my country (Peru) shipping and taxes are cheap from this page.
I read a lot and saw quite a few reviews about equipment such as:
DAC: Topping e30 - Topping d30 - Khadas Tone Board - Topping dx3 pro - Topping d50 - Ifi zen dac - Smsl sanskrit 10th MKII - Smsl m8a - other?
AMP: SMSL SP100 - Topping L30 - Topping d10s - Topping a50s - Little Dot MKII - Ifi zen can - other?

Thank you very much for your patience and for your advice as it is very difficult to enter this world with little knowledge, and so many options in this price range.

*Sorry if I'm in the wrong section of the forum.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 300-Ohm HD6XX likes a lot of voltage, so maybe check out tube headphone amplifiers.
Guess more of your budget should go for a headphone amplifier, over the DAC.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Topping E/L 30, all you need, more than enough power @ 300 ohms.

OP
H

Hernanaqp25

The 300-Ohm HD6XX likes a lot of voltage, so maybe check out tube headphone amplifiers.
Guess more of your budget should go for a headphone amplifier, over the DAC.
Thank you, i will consider the tube amps.
Topping E/L 30, all you need, more than enough power @ 300 ohms.
Thank you, It's a nice combo for the value as well.
Do you have any idea how it compares against the ifi zen dac + can?

raif71

Major Contributor
I am new in this world of hi fi and to start I bought the hd6xx from the drop company, those headphones will arrive in 1 week.
I'm looking for an amp + dac that can be a good combo with these headphones (the best I can get with my budget) for each one I have approximately $ 160, and I'm looking for options that I can buy from Aliexpress, because in my country (Peru) shipping and taxes are cheap from this page.
DAC: Topping e30 - Topping d30 - Khadas Tone Board - Topping dx3 pro - Topping d50 - Ifi zen dac - Smsl sanskrit 10th MKII - Smsl m8a - other?
AMP: SMSL SP100 - Topping L30 - Topping d10s - Topping a50s - Little Dot MKII - Ifi zen can - other?

Thank you very much for your patience and for your advice as it is very difficult to enter this world with little knowledge, and so many options in this price range.

With a budget of 160, all I can think is the Ifi Zen DAC (130) or Fiio K5 Pro (150). These both are dac/amp combo.

Robin L

Master Contributor
With a budget of 160, all I can think is the Ifi Zen DAC (130) or Fiio K5 Pro (150). These both are dac/amp combo.
". . . for each one I have approximately $ 160 . . ."

OP
H

Hernanaqp25

Sorry. I then propose the combo Ifi Zen DAC/CAN (130+170 = 300 both)
sounds good thank you, but i think i would like each team to have a specific function either dac or amp only, or maybe i'm just exaggerating ..

Robin L

Master Contributor
maybe, 360 if the combo requires it :)
If you're in the US, the Topping E/L combo should set you back $270 + shipping/tax.
[PS: I'm listening to that combo right now].

raif71

Major Contributor
sounds good thank you, but i think i would like each team to have a specific function either dac or amp only, or maybe i'm just exaggerating ..
No problem. I bought the Can 1st and I was pairing it with Topping d10s but the stack was not eye appealing so eventually I got the Zen DAC and now I think I have a pleasing stack for both ears and eyes.

bigjacko

There are some people here that does distortion ABX and everyone did it could not even hear 2.7% THD, which is around -3x dB THD. Noise is more important for sensitive headphones or iem, if you got those you will want something low noise. Do you value money, feature or performance more?

OP
H

Hernanaqp25

There are some people here that does distortion ABX and everyone did it could not even hear 2.7% THD, which is around -3x dB THD. Noise is more important for sensitive headphones or iem, if you got those you will want something low noise. Do you value money, feature or performance more?
As I am just starting out, I think the cost / benefit, for example I have repeatedly read that they recommend tube amplifiers for the hd6xx, (darkvoice, little dot, etc) but these are a little out of my budget, (I prefer to buy later a midrange tube amp).
So I think of a dac + amp, which allows me to scale later, with some sundara or focal or something worthwhile (maybe these hd6xx are my "endgame") or maybe the hd800, who knows.

But at the moment I am looking for something that suits my budget and gives me the best (if possible), for the moment the L30 + E30 with shipping and everything would be costing me approximately $ 270, it sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for your time.

LightninBoy

DACs and Headphone amps are a solved problem. At your budget, you can choose from many models that are completely transparent. Just look for the features you need at your budget and choose from the many that have been measured and recommended in this forum. Heck, choose whichever one looks the best to you if you want. You won't hear any difference between the ones that measure well.

LightninBoy

Thank you, i will consider the tube amps.

Please don't. At least not to start out. Start with transparent gear and learn how to apply EQ if needed. Then if you want to jump down the tube/audiophile/subjectivist rabbit hole, then go for it, but with eyes wide open.

bigjacko

As I am just starting out, I think the cost / benefit, for example I have repeatedly read that they recommend tube amplifiers for the hd6xx, (darkvoice, little dot, etc) but these are a little out of my budget, (I prefer to buy later a midrange tube amp).
So I think of a dac + amp, which allows me to scale later, with some sundara or focal or something worthwhile (maybe these hd6xx are my "endgame") or maybe the hd800, who knows.

But at the moment I am looking for something that suits my budget and gives me the best (if possible), for the moment the L30 + E30 with shipping and everything would be costing me approximately $ 270, it sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for your time.
Tube amp for ASR is the same as SS amp with distortion added, for ASR tube amp adds no value but actually hurt performance. L30 and E30 are good because you will never hear any distortion and noise for any headphones or iem, but if you want even cheaper SDAC+O2 from Drop at $150 is a nice small footprint combo. I am using HD800 on SDAC+O2, it has enough power for me even with around 20dB cuts in foobar2000, but it's just me because some people crave power alot which I don't understand. JDS lab atom stack or Liquid spark stack or Schitt modi3+ and magni3+/ heresy are all good stacks at $200 total. If you can read reviews you will be able to know their power from the graphs Amir post.

twsecrest

As I am just starting out, I think the cost / benefit, for example I have repeatedly read that they recommend tube amplifiers for the hd6xx, (Darkvoice, little dot, etc) but these are a little out of my budget, (I prefer to buy later a midrange tube amp). So I think of a DAC + amp, which allows me to scale later, with some Sundara or focal or something worthwhile (maybe these hd6xx are my "endgame") or maybe the hd800, who knows.
Thanks for your time.
Tube amplifier is normally recommended for high Ohm headphones, but there is always the option of a solid state head amp, that outputs lots of voltage.
Me I prefer all in one DAC/amps, over separate units, so for $360 you should be able to find something built into one unit.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try to consider the Creative Sound BlasterX G6 as a DAC +Amp + ADC with additional capability (Dolby, DSP, game related) it also offers if you can get one for around 150~160 $. Creative is a Singapore based but it doesn't sell on Ali or even Singapore e-commerce look alikes.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/
Later consider a Loxjie P20 if you are in for a tube amp and of course stockpile of good Ei, GE tubes for it. It's around 100$ right now on Ali (Loxjie official store) but good tubes you will have to purchase probably in EU.
The SBX G6 has more than enough power (in high gain) for HD6XX. Creative drivers are that what they are just don't use their ASIO driver (for music) and everything will be fine.

syzygetic

I run the 6XX for my only real headphones any more, and I think you're overthinking it - they sound great with pretty much any competent amp. In your budget, I like the Topping recommendations here, that'll do just fine. I personally run Schiit Magnius and use the balanced interconnect, and it sounds great, but unbal sounded great too.

On the 6XX, once you have a competent DAC/amp, the real improvement comes from EQ. EQ is not optional, I really would apply one of the corrections out there, I use the oratory1990 for HD650, personally: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0

That EQ will have an order of magnitude more impact to your listening than any of the choices above for amp, all of which are reasonable.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I run the 6XX for my only real headphones any more, and I think you're overthinking it - they sound great with pretty much any competent amp. In your budget, I like the Topping recommendations here, that'll do just fine. I personally run Schiit Magnius and use the balanced interconnect, and it sounds great, but unbal sounded great too.

On the 6XX, once you have a competent DAC/amp, the real improvement comes from EQ. EQ is not optional, I really would apply one of the corrections out there, I use the oratory1990 for HD650, personally: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0

That EQ will have an order of magnitude more impact to your listening than any of the choices above for amp, all of which are reasonable.
Agreed with all the above. I use APO EQ:

Equalizer APO download | SourceForge.net

The main thing is reducing level for the bass hump around 150hz. My parametric EQ is set right now at center of 160hz, down by -4db, Q of .8. There are other options. After that I turn up the bass [a lot, so sue me] the treble with a bump at 2.5khz and a smooth ramp up to 20khz of about +3db.

Last edited:
Top Bottom