• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help What would you go for? 4 B&W Signature 7NT in wall Speakers vs Polk Audio RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers?

Jake91

I'm planning on installing ceiling speakers mainly for a home cinema set up as well as music and was thinking of getting some Polk Audio RC60i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers on amazon for £228 a pair. But i spoke with a friend and he offered to sell me 4 B&W Signature 7NT in wall speakers for £200.

So my Question is, Which are the better speakers out of the two
and what would you say is the better option considering the quality and price etc..
i'm stuck as i don't have a clue when it comes to speakers!

heres the spec list of the two:

B&W Signature 7NT in wall Speakers

180mm KevlarÆ bass-midrange driver
25mm Nautilus tube loaded metal dome HF
150W power handling, 8 ohms Impedance
88dB Sensitivity; 40-25kHz ±3dB
Switchable HF response: -3dB-0dB+3dB
337h x 220w (without frame), min depth: 97.5mm

Polk Audio RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers
Compatible Amplifier (Watts RMS): 20 - 100
Frequency range (Hz): 35 - 20000
Impedance (Ohms): 8 - 8
Sensitivity (dB): 90

Thank you

Capitol C

I have the more expensive Polk Audio MC 80 in-ceiling speakers. I mounted them in the ceiling of my new kitchen and I was very happily surprised at the quality of the sound. These are high-fidelity speakers which do an excellent job on music, even though they are in the ceiling. The sound is clear and undistorted, and the high-frequency extension is remarkable. (For reference, I mostly listen to classical music.) The only drawback is to be expected, given the size of the speakers, namely, there is very little bass response below 100 hz. (The quoted specs are optimistic, to say the least.) I added an inexpensive powered subwoofer to the set up and everything sounds great now. I suspect that either of the speakers that you are looking at will have similar bass deficiency and that you will need a subwoofer. Both model Polks have 8 inch woofers, which works out to about 200 mm.

Top Bottom