• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help wanted looking for speakers tv/bedroom

Riez1984

Hi all.

Last year I've bought myself a Topping DX3Pro+... Reading this I immediately think of Ultimate Super Street Fighter II turbo etc...
But back to my question.
I have my desk with the pc in our bedroom because of space restrictions. I have a HD660s which I use with my oc but I also like to listen to music on speakers when I'm browsing or when I'm at the other side of the room in bed. The speakers face me when I'm at the desk but when I for example want to listen from the bes the speakers do not face me. I don't do any music creation. I listen to various types of music like 80's pop, lo-fi, Rock, Classic, jazz, from Bowie and Prince to Lofi-girl and synthwave...

I had Presonus Eris 3.5 before but I didn't really like them as much. They were ok, but not wow.

I was wondering if there are any suggestions for my situation if I don't want to go bigger then the Presonus but want an overall more pleasant sound?
Preferably I don't want to spend more then €200,-

I don't mind looking at second hand speakers.
Speakers I have considered are:

Audioengine A2+
JBL 104
Edifier MX4
EDIFIER R1855

My guess is that I'm better off going for bookshelves rather then monitor speakers for my use case since I won't be using then exclusively in front of me or am I wrong?

For the time being in using some cheap Creative Pebble V3

If you people think it's not worth spending money on any of these or other suggestions over the Pebbles is like to know as well. I understand I'm asking a lot for the Price and size...

Hope you guys can help me with this

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers on the Active list you can connect to the DX3Pro
Speakers on the passive list you would need DX3Pro > amplifier > speakers

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Edifier MR4 looks to have been revised since Amir took a look at it, so may be worth considering:

You can find measurements of many budget studio monitors on spinorama.org. Good for weeding out the trash.

OP
R

Riez1984

I was considering these speakers but since they are monitors, are they of any use to listen to when I'm not in front of the pc in another part of the room? Or will I just be better off keeping the Pebbles as the benefit will be negligible

OP
R

Riez1984

Still my question remains if I should look for monitors or bookshelf speakers in my situation since I won't be using them exclusively when sitting in front of them and I'm not doing any professional music stuff

staticV3

Master Contributor
Still my question remains if I should look for monitors or bookshelf speakers in my situation since I won't be using them exclusively when sitting in front of them and I'm not doing any professional music stuff
Plenty of people are using monitors in place of traditional bookshelf speakers.

There's nothing inherent to monitors that would prevent them from being used that way.

And there's nothing inherent to bookshelf speakers that would make them more suited to TV duties than studio monitors.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
This fits the bill and they aren't bad.
If you put some effort you probably can find them under 190€.
Topping DX3Pro+ can work as preamp trough line out and please teach yourself to first power up DAC and then speakers.

OP
R

Riez1984

Ah ok, my thought was that monitor speakers are intended to be used as "in your face" speakers and are mostly for producing music as in giving a flat sound whereas bookshelves speakers are more for casual listening to music and are less dependent on listening position.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ah ok, my thought was that monitor speakers are intended to be used as "in your face" speakers and are mostly for producing music as in giving a flat sound whereas bookshelves speakers are more for casual listening to music and are less dependent on listening position.
As much as I see it's a small room and combined near to mid field listening positions so you don't really need speakers with rather wild horizontal dispersion pattern.

OP
R

Riez1984

This fits the bill and they aren't bad.
If you put some effort you probably can find them under 190€.
Topping DX3Pro+ can work as preamp trough line out and please teach yourself to first power up DAC and then speakers.
Thx for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm looking for something smaller especially less wide. I have pretty limited space here. I know small will probadly mean bad

OP
R

Riez1984

As much as I see it's a small room and combined near to mid field listening positions so you don't really need speakers with rather wild horizontal dispersion pattern.
Yeah that's very true it's a small room indeed with mixed usage just for relaxation from the bed and usage as computer speakers when gaming or for playing background music while browsing. Just want to know if there is something to gain here by replacing the Creative Pebble without going for every bit speakers on my desk. I ditched the Presonus 3.5 because I thought they where pretty boring and just adding bulk to my desk

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thx for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm looking for something smaller especially less wide. I have pretty limited space here. I know small will probadly mean bad
Well I do know smaller and rather good sounding but those are 9x your budget (Neumann KH80) and generally yes that's physics.
Try to make place for those with some mid priced flexible stands which you can both adjust and move. To be honest don't have high hopes with any with bare naked windows behind tham and close to them/wall.

OP
R

Riez1984

Yeah it's a pretty bad situation in in here full of compromises yes haha. I saw some budget options here second hand like Audioengine A2 for €80,- JBL 104 for €60,- and Edifier M1280t for €40,- and Edifier 1700 for €65,- and Edifier MR4 new for €99,-

Anything like that viable as and upgrade for the Pebble V3 or should I just live with it for now until later I have a different space?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't know anything that scores or sounds better than those JBL's in that price range, next stop is Kali LP 6 V2's which are 200 $/€ a peace.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
next stop is Kali LP 6 V2's which are 200 $/€ a peace.

Very reasonable. These have no real flaws except looks and of course being a small bookshelf speaker.

Yeah, it's double the budget but it's still cheap when you can get something that can last years and not living with nagging feeling that you are missing couple octaves from your music.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I know this will go against a lot of "good sound" hardliners
But probably in this context a quality 2.1 pc audio system like the logitech z623 could give you everything you need (including good bass) for little money and little desk space (and little floor space for the sub)
Personally I own them and despite having respectable music systems, I always find them pleasant to listen to both with music and with films.

Logitech-Z623-altoparlante-~2.jpg

OP
R

Riez1984

Very reasonable. These have no real flaws except looks and of course being a small bookshelf speaker.

Yeah, it's double the budget but it's still cheap when you can get something that can last years and not living with nagging feeling that you are missing couple octaves from your music.
Sounds like a good option. Only thing is I want something that's around 150mm in width because of space restrictions. I know I'm asking a lot here.

Top Bottom