• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help w/Pop on Input Source Change

sg1838

Hi All,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. I just added the VTV Stereo Purifi 1ET400A amplifier with the Sparkos SS3602 input buffer to my system, and absolutely love the way 2-channel stereo sounds now on my Tekton Lore References. I took the unbalanced L & R pre-outs from my Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver via RCA connectors to the XLR inputs on the VTV via these 18" Monoprice cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UJCS82/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The issue that I have is that if I switch sources or surround modes on the receiver, or if I remove a source altogether (power it down), I hear an audible pop on the speakers. It's faint, but I don't really like it and and I would guess that any type of pop like that isn't great for the drivers on the speakers long term. I would bet money it is due to some type of switching noise on the receiver, but I would really like to stop it from happening.

When audio is playing, it sounds sublime. There are no other discernible issues here. All of the components are plugged into the same electrical outlet, so I would expect them to all have the same ground.

So, any recommendations on what I can or should do? I thought that maybe somehow adding a higher quality pre-amp might correct the issue, but I don't know how to do this considering all of my sources are HDMI. Should I be contacting VTV about using a different input buffer option? Maybe I'm just making a big deal about nothing. I just know this wasn't there before I added the amp, and my guess is that the extra low noise floor of the amp with the high sensitivity of the Tektons has now made this audible.

Regardless, any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I wouldn't be blaming the VTV just yet. We know the Yamaha is being used essentially as a input selector and D/A, stripping the audio, processing it and sending out via the RCAs to the amp. Clearly its preamp output is sending the switching/muting transients to the VTV.

If all your sources are HDMI, I guess you are in a bit of a bind as you kind of need a AV receiver to act as a front end.

Bear in mind, the receiver needs to be employing logic in what it sends to the main L/R preamp out RCAs based on each source and the settings you have decided. Various sources may have different presets. Unfortunately, it's just another reason why HT receivers, multi channel digital sources and high quality two channel audio don't really play well together.

Last edited:
OP
sg1838

sg1838

I wouldn't be blaming the VTV just yet.

Oh, I’m definitely not blaming it. I thoroughly believe it has just revealed something that was always there in the receiver that I wasn’t able to hear previously. The question is, can I fix it? Watched Hulu tonight, and at every commercial break the surround mode changed, and there was the faint pop. Ninety seconds later back to the show? Surround sound format change again and another pop. You know that little audible imperfection in your system that only you can hear that drives you insane? Yeah, that’s where I’m headed.

We know the Yamaha is being used essentially as a input selector and D/A, stripping the audio, processing it and sending out via the RCAs to the amp. Clearly it's preamp output is sending the switching/muting transients to the VTV.

Completely agree.

If all your sources are HDMI, I guess you are in a bit of a bind as you kind of need a AV receiver to act as a front end.

Agree again.

Bear in mind, the receiver needs to be employing logic in what it sends to the main L/R preamp out RCAs based on each source and the settings you have decided. Various sources may have different presets. Unfortunately, it's just another reason why HT receivers, multi channel digital sources and high quality two channel audio don't really play well together.

Ugh. OK, let’s assume for the moment I’m going to run both a 2-channel stereo and a surround sound setup with one set of speakers. How would I accomplish this?

I’m still wondering if a higher quality receiver wouldn’t pass switching / muting transients, and solve my problem...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I’m still wondering if a higher quality receiver wouldn’t pass switching / muting transients, and solve my problem...

A higher quality reciever may be better or worse. Perhaps some of the people on ASR who use multichannel AVRs or processors in a similar setup can weigh in. But buying another reciever full of amplifiers simply to use it as an HDMI switcher and D/A volume control is a bit crazy if you ask me.

There's nothing more annoying than clicks and pops in a system. That, and hiss, are my pet hates.

Last edited:
OP
sg1838

sg1838

But buying another reciever full of amplifiers simply to use it as an HDMI switcher and D/A volume control is a bit crazy if you ask me.
Exactly what I was thinking and why I was hoping to avoid doing so. The Yamaha is fine as the surround sound processor, and I have a really hard time paying more for JUST a surround sound processor than a full blown AVR (I can buy a Denon AVR-X3700H that Amir just reviewed and recommended for $1299). In theory, what I’m doing should work well. Maybe I just have to learn to live with the faint pops now and again...

OP
sg1838

sg1838

Well, I thought I may have found something as I found a thread in a couple of places referring to the 12V trigger causing a ground loop. So, I was hoping that may have been my issue as well, but unplugging the 12V trigger cable from both devices yielded no better results. I know the Yamaha TSR-7850 isn't a great performer when compared to devices in this forum, but I can't see replacing it until the Denon AVR-X3800H is released (3700 doesn't have HDMI 2.1, and the 3800 is sure to be released here in the next few months, and would most likely allow me to use it in pre-amp mode in the future).

Seeming more and more like I'm going to live with the popping for a bit...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Can you possibly provide a video with audio so we can possibly better analyze what is going on.

Some Avrs do make clicking sounds when you change source or a different DSP. The AVR is turning on and off certain internal amps. Just wild speculation without a Vid.

OP
sg1838

sg1838

Can you possibly provide a video with audio so we can possibly better analyze what is going on.

Some Avrs do make clicking sounds when you change source or a different DSP. The AVR is turning on and off certain internal amps. Just wild speculation without a Vid.
I certainly can post a video, but the pop is not coming directly from the AVR, but the speaker itself when the input or surround mode changes. But, it's definitely not anything like a switching relay inside of the AVR itself. I do hear that happening at times too, but that's not what is causing this. I'll add a video later when I get home from work. I was reading another thread about ambient noise levels in various members listening areas, and mine would probably be considered EXTREMELY loud at 40 dB (I have a fairly large aquarium in the same room). So, my guess is that when I make the video, the response I am going to get is, "Why in God's name are you concerned about this?!?"

CapMan

Major Contributor
Just saw this thread - with my new Denon 4800 I get a very quiet ‘tick’ from the left speaker sometimes on changing sources / TV stations I wondered it might be a change in sample rate. Sounds a bit like static - it’s not that repeatable and I will not be worrying about it.

The 4800 is pretty impressive.

Top Bottom