• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help w finding a solution to convert wired speakers to wireless (via wifi stream) that works well with Roon?

NOROB

Forum Donor
Sorry if this has been asked and answered. But I've searched the forums and am confused.

I've got two pairs of Sierra Sound IN Studio powered Monitors (built-in 50w Amp and a picture of available inputs below. I bought about ten years ago aren't bad, although nothing compared to the JBL Stage A-130's that I bought because of this forum, and just love (w/ eq), but I digress.

I would like to tuck a pair away in our dining room, and another pair in the kitchen, for casual listening while cooking or having dinner, but I would like to stream to them via wifi as a Roon endpoint, but I'm not sure what I need to do that.

- I have my laptop, which is where Roon and my digital audio files live
- I have the Loxjie A30 DAC/Amp, connected to that powering my JBL Stage A-130's, but the Loxjie has no output other than the speaker connections, so that seems to be no help

The speakers will work with Airport Express (now discontinued) , and I've seen a lot of posts on ASR about Chromecast Audio for streaming, but both of those are discontinued now. I'd prefer not to spend more than about $200 to $300 dollars, at most.

So I'm guessing that I need a second DAC that can output a wifi signal to the speakers, along with a receiving device at the speaker end that has either coax or usb output? Does that sound right? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can provide!

Here are the inputs on the back of the speakers:

1627495599432.png

I

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CCA is simple and cheap with Roon if you can find one.
A pi with a DAC hat will also work very well once setup, and will be under budget.

OP
NOROB

NOROB

Forum Donor
CCA is simple and cheap with Roon if you can find one.
A pi with a DAC hat will also work very well once setup, and will be under budget.

Thanks. Is the Pi with a DAC hat a DYI? I have no electrical skills whatsoever :).
I've seen ChromeCast Audio on Ebay, but they all want $125+, when I think the original device was more in the range of $30.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any aversion to a used Airport Express on eBay? I've gotten several for very little money and it's plug and play. Otherwise, as mentioned, a Pi with a simple analog out board would do but then a case and PSU would need to be arranged as well. You'll have to step up to something more modern/expensive to utilize Airplay2 to be able to send to more than one set of speakers if you want them in different zones.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Is the Pi with a DAC hat a DYI? I have no electrical skills whatsoever :).
It's more like self assembly furniture, you just just follow the online instructions, same for the software build. You can look into it all before buying.

OP
NOROB

NOROB

Forum Donor
Any aversion to a used Airport Express on eBay? I've gotten several for very little money and it's plug and play. Otherwise, as mentioned, a Pi with a simple analog out board would do but then a case and PSU would need to be arranged as well. You'll have to step up to something more modern/expensive to utilize Airplay2 to be able to send to more than one set of speakers if you want them in different zones.

Not necessarily, I'll check it out. I thought I had read somewhere that Airport Express couldn't handle higher quality audio formats. Although that's not a major issue since this isn't for serious listening.

Last edited:

Musty

Forum Donor
I've seen ChromeCast Audio on Ebay, but they all want $125+, when I think the original device was more in the range of $30.

If you're not interested in best sound quality for your casual listening set-up you wouldn't even need a HAT for the pi. Raspberry pi 4 has a mini socket, you'd just need a lead with a mini jack each end or a phono to mini jack lead.

Raspberry pi operating system is on a micro SD card rather than hard drive, if you purchase a pi you can buy a card called noob that has a selection of operating systems on it, you just pick the one you want to install. Typing this with my phone so too lazy to look for links to products but if you look for a pi store you'll find the products, a 2gb RAM pi4 (or two) would be fine for your purpose. You'd need a power supply, also a case. Don't get a metal case, they can sometimes interfere with WiFi.

Also, your life would be easier if you have a monitor or TV to plug it into for first set-up. Once you have it running you can access it from another computer or phone via VNC. Plenty of tutorials on internet to help with that, it isn't hard.

Last edited:

Chazz6

The Audioengine B-Fi receives wifi. It has a Toslink output, but it also has a DAC chip and a line output, which would go into your speakers. Last I looked they are $190 each. You could put one at each speaker. Of course, you need to decide how and whether you want to send wifi to the B-Fi's. The B-Fis can be controlled by the rudimentary Audioengine app. I control mine from BubbleUpNP (a DLNA app on my Android tablet), which accesses streams and also files on a computer.

OP
NOROB

NOROB

Forum Donor
The Audioengine B-Fi receives wifi. It has a Toslink output, but it also has a DAC chip and a line output, which would go into your speakers. Last I looked they are $190 each. You could put one at each speaker. Of course, you need to decide how and whether you want to send wifi to the B-Fi's. The B-Fis can be controlled by the rudimentary Audioengine app. I control mine from BubbleUpNP (a DLNA app on my Android tablet), which accesses streams and also files on a computer.

Thanks. My plan is to use Roon over wifi from my laptop.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I had read somewhere that Airport Express couldn't handle higher quality audio formats.

That is correct, I think they top out at 24/48 but like you said it's not for critical listening and you're done with the problem for around $30. I use a couple of them for various zones in the house and deck.

GDK

Forum Donor

DWPress

Forum Donor
Just FYI, Roon strongly recommends against using Airplay Express as an endpoint.

Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device).

Quoted from that Roon link. OP just needs a Roon Airplay endpoint so fine.

OP
NOROB

NOROB

Forum Donor
Quoted from that Roon link. OP just needs a Roon Airplay endpoint so fine.

Found an airport express that was tucked away in a closet here. I'm going to give that a try this weekend.

I also found a (ahem) somewhat reasonably priced Chromecast Audio on EBay. Seller wanted $110 for "new, factory sealed", but I offered $80 and they accepted. So I'm going to try that with the other pair.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses and suggestions. I'll report back in a week or so.

Top Bottom