• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help upgrading my sound system (DAC & Amp)

cauldron

I am looking to upgrade my current audio setup after investing a bit into better headphones. It's good but I listen to music a lot so figure it's worth upgrading.

I have read a lot of reviews, but it's still pretty hard to make a decision because I find mixed reviews about all options. It's tricky to know which would sound best with music taste too. I don't really have an audio store nearby to demo, but I could purchase some equipment and return my least favourite. There's also a lot of terms like MQA, DSD, PCM which I don't know a lot about.

My current setup:
AMP: Schiit Asgard 3
DAC: ES9028 DAC chip module (internal to the Asgard 3)
Headphones: Sony MDR Z1R (primary headphone), DC Aeon 2 Noire, ATH-M50x.
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 bookshelf. (I am also considering upgrading at some point. Maybe add a HTM6 S2 center speaker and some subs for movies, or switch to Kef LS50 Meta)

One thing I dislike about my current amp is I find it can have a noisy audio floor on high gain. Mostly only noticeable with my Sony MDR Z1R headphones.
The Asgard also doesn't have a balanced output. I am not sure how big of a deal that is, but it'd be nice to try balanced. Sony MDR Z1R comes with a 4.4mm balanced cable which would work on the Fiio R7 I think. I also don't mind buying a four pin XLR cable, though.

What I want to use it for:
Music
. I listen to electronic music. Mostly drum and bass, dance/EDM, techno, bit of pop and rap. I think I would benefit from a slightly warmer sound because of this? I like very detailed bass, vocals and instruments.
Then again, maybe the sound system should be neutral/clean and the headphone/speaker should be flavoured? Great synergy with the Sony MDR Z1R would be nice.
I tend to use streaming services like Qobuz, Apple music and YouTube - never download music.
I would also like to use part of the system with speakers. Perhaps the dac and use the amp as a preamp?

Movies. Currently I sometimes listen to movies with my headphones because I don't have a speaker amp atm, but I'd like to use my speakers at some point - so may be worth considering how the dac/amp might sound with a good pair of speakers.

Some options and stacks I've been considering:
- Fiio R7
- Topping D90SE & A90D
- Schiit Jotunheim 2 & Schiit Bifrost 2
- RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Given my headphone/speaker requirements, music taste and options - which options would be best and why? I would appreciate any feedback on these options if you own any :)

Top Bottom