• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help troubleshooting broken Denon AVR-8500

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Protection circuitry may be engaged.

That would be the mains AC fuse. It will not always open if there is a amplifier issue. Do you have a oscilloscope or a decent multimeter with decent probes? Just asking so we know for later maybe.
No oscilloscope but decent FLUKE multimeter.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Protection circuitry may be engaged.

That would be the mains AC fuse. It will not always open if there is a amplifier issue. Do you have a oscilloscope or a decent multimeter with decent probes? Just asking so we know for later maybe.
Should disconnect all speaker wires inspect and reconnect one set at a time. One may have a short and is causing the protection circuitry to prevent damage to the amp section.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

What's your input assignment setting? Is it for analog on the input you're using?
Not sure what you mean? All my inputs are HDMI digital (TV and Oppo). I used oppo analog outputs to AVR analog inputs just to test it to see if the HDMI board went south.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Should disconnect all speaker wires inspect and reconnect one set at a time. One may have a short and is causing the protection circuitry to prevent damage to the amp section.
Adam, I disconnected everything.

The only input was coming from Oppo RCA and it still didn't power up the headphones.

I assume Denon is using only resistors in the headphone output circuitry.

If that is the case and amps are working, they should play the music on my headphones. Correct?

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

I went through the Denon troubleshooting guide in the user manual.

AVR is NOT muted and ECO is off.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The only input was coming from Oppo RCA and it still didn't power up the headphones.

If that is the case and amps are working, they should play the music on my headphones. Correct?
No, if there is a amp issue in any of the amp channels then the protection will engage and all channels will be disconnected via the relays. We really should have a service manual before we get too deep in conjecture.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

No, if there is a amp issue in any of the amp channels then the protection will engage and all channels will be disconnected via the relays. We really should have a service manual before we get too deep in conjecture.
FYI...I just purchased and downloaded the Service Manual.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI...I just purchased and downloaded the Service Manual.
OK Cool. Can you post it here? It might need to be zipped if too large. How big is it... ~80 megabyte? If all else fails email works too.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

OK Cool. Can you post it here? It might need to be zipped if too large. How big is it... ~80 megabyte? If all else fails email works too.
1656115575254.png

27MB

AdamG

Forum Donor

Did you change to the proper input select for that input? Assuming it was previously set for Oppo at hdmi, did you change the input to Analog for that input? If you didn’t then you would get no signal. See link for further explaination.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Did you change to the proper input select for that input? Assuming it was previously set for Oppo at hdmi, did you change the input to Analog for that input? If you didn’t then you would get no signal. See link for further explaination.

I'm using Blu-Ray on the remote control.

The analog output from Oppo is connected to the analog input listed Blu-Ray.

Do I need to do anything extra?

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Guys, I'm not hearing any switches clicking when I plug the headphones or when I receiver goes from the standby to full power on.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I'm using Blu-Ray on the remote control.

The analog output from Oppo is connected to the analog input listed Blu-Ray.

Do I need to do anything extra?
Yes, you need to read the Manual I linked. The Blu-ray deafaults to HDMI input, if you want to use the RCA analog jacks as the input for Blu-ray you have to change that setting in the AVR’s Setup Menu, Inputs, Input Assign Menu.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Yes, you need to read the Manual I linked. The Blu-ray deafaults to HDMI input, if you want to use the RCA analog jacks as the input for Blu-ray you have to change that setting in the AVR’s Setup Menu, Inputs, Input Assign Menu.
Not sure if I understand. I don't mean to sound ignorant but blu-ray is using the same HDMI and RCA input (3).

1656119987266.png

Regardless, until I hear that main switch come on, I don't think amps will be engaged.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

He can just upload it to google drive and share the link.
Hello John,

I was just waiting for my daughter to fall asleep. Now, I can allocate more time to this.

Yes, let me see if I can upload it to Google Drive and share the link.

This manual has 209 pages of highly technical stuff and it's not for the faint of heart.

I'm overwhelmed and this is way over my head but looking for some onboard troubleshooting codes or ways to identify what part (board) has the issue.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If the main speaker relay/s are not activating, there could be a bunch of scenarios:

One (or more channels) amp stages are faulty. They could have DC offset, failure or have a history (in the flash) of short/OC/DC etc.
Are 100% sure the unit has not defaulted or been switched to a pre/processor function? That will keep the main amps off.

Link the S/M and we can help.

Top Bottom