• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help troubleshooting broken Denon AVR-8500

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Denon X8500 stopped working today. :mad:

It powers on but has no sound.

I don't hear the clicking of the relays when I switch the source, mute on/off, or plug the headphones.

All my input sources (TV and Blu-ray) are HDMI.

Cold to the touch.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
My Denon X8500 stopped working today. :mad:

It powers on but has no sound.

I don't hear the clicking of the relays when I switch the source, mute on/off, or plug the headphones.

All my input sources (TV and Blu-ray) are HDMI.

Cold to the touch.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Hi Bo,

Sorry to hear about your Amp problems. That sucks!

You can try several methods to Restart, Reboot, and Reset your Denon. The process for these functions are outlined in the below linked thread. Go to Post #3 and try these in succeeding order. I recommend you first just try the unplug from power for 5 mins and then plug in and test. When you unplug the unit hit the power button a few times to drain any residual power. Good luck Sir.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Hi Bo,

You can try several methods to Restart, Reboot, and Reset your Denon. The process for these functions are outlined in the below linked thread. Go to Post #3 and try these in succeeding order. I recommend you first just try the unplug from power for 5 mins and then plug in and test. When you unplug the unit hit the power button a few times to drain any residual power. Good luck Sir.

Hi Adam,

Yes, this sucks big time.

Thank you for the instruction, greatly appreciated!

Bo

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Hi Bo,

Just got back from the gym and plugged the AVR and the same issue persist.

I just don't hear that main click from the relay when the amp goes from stand-by to operation state.

It would be helpful if someone can share Denon's repair manual or tell me what points need to be tested for what voltage.

Also, do you think I need to create the new thread or this one will do?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

AdamG

Forum Donor
Hi Sal,

Per Adam's earlier advice I'm doing a factory reset at the moment, other resets didn't help. :(
Sometimes you may have to do 2, 3,4 and 5 resets in a row. Sounds like the AVR is not sensing an proper input signal. Try another input you know works and possibly swap HDMI cable’s. The unit is turning on. But not assigning the channel amps. The problem could be as simple as a lose or defective hdmi cable.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Just got back from the gym and plugged the AVR and the same issue persist.

I just don't hear that main click from the relay when the amp goes from stand-by to operation state.

It would be helpful if someone can share Denon's repair manual or tell me what points need to be tested for what voltage.

Also, do you think I need to create the new thread or this one will do?
Yes, if you continue to need assistance. Please start a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

Yes, if you continue to need assistance. Please start a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
No need. I doubt I would get any further without the repair manual. I guess I join the group of unlucky souls that purchase Denon hardware and it died on them.

Thank you for your assistance, I did all 3 steps and all the resets. Also, tried to bypass the HDMI board by plugging the CD directly into the analog inputs.

I got the same result, something is majorly wrong with the AVR.

Oh well... Life goes on.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No need. I doubt I would get any further without the repair manual. I guess I join the group of unlucky souls that purchase Denon hardware and it died on them.

Thank you for your assistance, I did all 3 steps and all the resets. Also, tried to bypass the HDMI board by plugging the CD directly into the analog inputs.

I got the same result, something is majorly wrong with the AVR.

Oh well... Life goes on.
Sorry to hear. Out of warranty I presume? Did you contact Denon regardless?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks, I will contact Safe&Sound first then Denon.
That's a real bummer Bo, sorry to hear it.
In my experience the D-M gear is among the most reliable, bug free gear around.
Best of luck to you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@bo_knows apparently service manuals are available here>

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

I just unplugged EVERYTHING and hooked up only the CD player via RCA connection and listened via headphones (HD660S).

I can faintly hear the music when I turn the volume all the way to -7. I'm assuming the pre-amp section is causing this to be heard.

Amps are just not engaging. Checked one fuse on what I assume to be the power supply board (same board that's housing the two main capacitors) and it was OK.

OP
bo_knows

bo_knows

@bo_knows apparently service manuals are available here>
Thank you! You are awesome. This will be the last resort if I end up troubleshooting the unit myself.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just unplugged EVERYTHING and hooked up only the CD player via RCA connection and listened via headphones (HD660S).

I can faintly hear the music when I turn the volume all the way to -7. I'm assuming the pre-amp section is causing this to be heard.

Amps are just not engaging. Checked one fuse on what I assume to be the power supply board (same board that's housing the two main capacitors) and it was OK.

What's your input assignment setting? Is it for analog on the input you're using?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! You are awesome. This will be the last resort if I end up troubleshooting the unit myself.
If you decide to troubleshoot it I and I am sure others here can help if required.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amps are just not engaging.
Protection circuitry may be engaged.
Checked one fuse on what I assume to be the power supply board (same board that's housing the two main capacitors) and it was OK.
That would (probably) be the mains AC fuse. It will not always open if there is a amplifier issue. Do you have a oscilloscope or a decent multimeter with decent probes? Just asking so we know for later maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom