• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help to find the best place for speakers in a really awkward living room.

Yevhen

Forum Donor
We are buying a house where most of the things require renovation. I've got an opportunity to select and arrange the listening area right. But there is one obstacle - awkward living room.

Please help to find the best place for speakers and couch (listening position). Speakers are DIY floorstanders based on the 7" Wavecors. In my current 40m2 living room, they dig down to 15Hz so positioning is quite critical.

Attachments

• Living Room.jpg
    Living Room.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 106
OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
The easiest solution would be:
1. Built the wall changing the room from U-shaped to L-shaped :)
2. Fill in the unnecessary area with a concrete or acoustic absorber :rolleyes:
3. Please the couch against that wall.
4. Place the speakers against the couch.
1664088642947.png

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Of course, that is the joke. What is the general recommendation for the U-shaped rooms? I think the room modes can go down to 10Hz. Are they critical? What would be the best position for acoustic panels and bass traps?

Anonamemouse

Mooi huis!
I suggest reverse engineering as a cheap start. Put the loudspeakers in the listening position and crawl around to listen where they sound best. Put the loudspeakers in those spots and test if it sounds good in the listening spot.
If you are interested I can connect you to a guy that can help you with measurements.

Last edited:
OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Thank for your suggestions! I can do the measurements myself but the problem is that we have no idea where to start from. Where to put the couch to enable listening dit still be around the fireplace and panoramic window.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lovely house.

I would start with the couch backing on to the window that overlooks the entrance path, fireplace to the left as you sit, and see how that goes.

Other option would be to have couch backing on to the rear garden window and speakers sat in free space at some distance down the room, but then you are not sat anywhere near the fireplace.

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Lovely house.

I would start with the couch backing on to the window that overlooks the entrance path, fireplace to the left as you sit, and see how that goes.

Other option would be to have couch backing on to the rear garden window and speakers sat in free space at some distance down the room, but then you are not sat anywhere near the fireplace.
Thanks, will try to draw it in paint

Top Bottom