• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[HELP] SMSL SU-9 Pro, Topping A90 Discrete, Topping LA90 AB ... no sound

metasharp

Hello,

I'm trying to run my new equipment but as of now I get no sound.

- All firmwares are up to date
- I installed on my Windows PC the SMSL 5.5.0 driver
- I connect then turn on all devices (PC -> usb -> SU-9 Pro -> RCA -> A90 Discrete -> XLR -> (front) DCA Stealth & (back) LA 90 AB -> copper wire -> B&W 685 S2)
- Only USB mode displays a connection (44KHz for ex, other say in orange No signal)
- I get no sound in either headphones or loudspeakers (44KHz changes to 192KHz if i try to run in foobar a 192KHz file)

Any help would be appreciated.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Topping driver control panel is checked it should show the DAC which could tell you something. If it's not, maybe try swapping out the USB cable or try it with another device. The 5.5 driver will install even if the DAC isn't hooked up or turned to the right output (it will show "no device connected").
It sounds like the DAC isn't connected, bad cable most likely. Just for testing, hooking it up with optical to the output port on your onboard sound could tell a lot also. Most SMSL DAC's I've had like the M300 came with one (albeit a short one).

OP
metasharp

metasharp

If I plug the DAC SU-9 Pro in XLR on the LA90 AB i get sound on the loudspeakers.

If I plug the DAC to A90 discrete either in RCA or XLR, I get no sound

Last edited:
OP
metasharp

metasharp

Ok got sound after raising volume like hell.

With RCA inputs I need to put the volume in windows at max, in dac at max (+2DB), and in A90d at max (99) + high gain and it's barely ok.

RCA input produces a distorded music..... sic! Especially at max... which is the minimum to have a decent volume.
XLR is by far cleaner but even at +2, 99, high it's still quite a not the expected volume.

Last edited:
OP
metasharp

metasharp

If I plug my DAC in RCA on my A90d =>low volume + lot of distortion
If I plug my DAC in XLR on my A90d => windows volume at 100%, DAC @0db (2db is max), gain in high, volume at 90 is ok on my Stealth. But even at +2 at 99 (all max) it's not super loud... sometimes it's even say it's barely an average volume.

I tried a sonometre app of my phone put on the speaker : strangely the stealth outputs more db than my bluetooth B&W PX7.... but I would swear at ear the B&W (60db) was at least 2 times louder... impossible to keep the headphone on whereas the Stealth felt at a moderate volume (62db).

I don't get it.

OP
metasharp

metasharp

Honestly I'm quite disappointed by the low volume/presence? .... My BT @60% of volume feels 40% louder than the stack at full volume.

Jbroen

There is an output menu in the SU-9 Pro where you can turn on both RCA and XLR or either one or the other. You may want to fiddle with that.

OP
metasharp

metasharp

yes it's solved, button b for correct volume curve

Top Bottom