• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help! similar artists like Pink Floyd?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been a big fan of Pink Floyd and listen to the whole albums for numberless time for all these years, so I wanna find simiar artists, Dream Theater was great but not too Pink Floyd-y
Back in the day, as a rock 'n roll youngster, I remember buying Umagumma (sp?). I liked all the gear they had laid out on the runway. I was a gearhead, even back then. Next, I remember the cows. I said, "Who the hell puts cows on the cover of their record? How cool is that?" With that bit of Hipgonsis they went up a notch or two in my estimation. Soon thereafter, however, I got into another musical scene, classical and jazz, and left it all behind.

I remember reading an interview a few years ago with one of the band. In Car and Driver. A car collector. The guy seemed pretty normal to me from his answers. Said something to the effect that with digits and sharing, you can't make any money like in the old days.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
'Ah, yes, Wally - I was at school with Pete Sage - excellent violinist! Punk came along at just the wrong time - even with the patronage of Rick Wakeman and Bob Harris it just didn't happen for them, unfortunately.'

They had a reunion in Harrogate a few years ago where young Mr Sage was in attendance:

The sound is poor on this but there was a CD/DVD of the concert.

Paul Middleton is still active - I love this:

However we are going off topic!

syn08

Been a big fan of Pink Floyd and listen to the whole albums for numberless time for all these years, so I wanna find simiar artists, Dream Theater was great but not too Pink Floyd-y

Manchester Orchestra

Cann't get today more Pinky Floydy than this. Don't count on me being a past or present fan of the genre, in fact I used to wear in the late 70's a tshirt copied from John Lydon.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I think it is safe to say that nobody actually sounds like Pink Floyd-- but if there are certain aspects of their sound you like, there are probably safe recommendations available. All of the big guns have been mentioned here already.

The first two Soft Machine records are similar in spirit to Piper and Saucerful of Secrets.

Also, The Dukes Of Stratosphear and early Gong.

"On The Threshold Of A Dream" by The Moody Blues is the closest thing to a PF record I have heard that wasn't a PF record.

Something I haven't heard anyone mention here is "The Trials Of Van Occupanther" by Midlake-- that may have some elements in common.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Funny, near 55 years since they first formed and people keep asking for more or more like them.
Thank goodness David Gilmour is still making music and touring.
Sad we lost Richard Wright to the cancer in 2008 and all hope of one last tour of Pink Floyd with him and Nick Mason died with him.
In 2014 David and Nick went back to the tapes and put together The Endless River as a tribute to Richard, Thanks Guys
Also possible that Nick Mason might do something new with his Saucerful of Secrets but I don't think he will.
There will never be another like them !!!

Top Bottom