• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help! similar artists like Pink Floyd?

yummy

Been a big fan of Pink Floyd and listen to the whole albums for numberless time for all these years, so I wanna find simiar artists, Dream Theater was great but not too Pink Floyd-y

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
David Gilmour
Roger Waters
Led Zeppelin
Syd Barrett
The Doors
King Crimson
Genesis
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Yes
Camel
Porcupine Tree
Rick Wright
The Alan Parsons Project
Queen
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
The Who
Deep Purple
Jefferson Airplane
The Moody Blues
Jethro Tull
Rush
The Rolling Stones
Dire Straits
Cream
Supertramp
Eloy
Iron Butterfly
Gentle Giant

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Rick Wakeman
The Orb
Anathema
Moody Blues

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Big Floyd's fan here too. In my restricted music expansion there is no other psychedelic rock band like Pink Floyd, they are unique. I cannot think of another band having a similar musical emotional cultural social spiritual psychological ethereal impact, none.

But like I said my music knowledge is very restricted worldwide.
Pink Floyd is simply one of a kind, standing on their own.

Some of their hires multichannel releases...SACD, DVD Audio, Blu-ray ... unique magic!
...The Floyd sound and nobody else.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I love almost all, if not all, of the bands mentioned so far. However I think only one or two hit the mark. Eloy for sure.

Check out early Porcupine Tree. The Sky Moves Sideways may be the best Pink Floyd album that Pink Floyd didn't put out.
Also check out Airbag and early RPWL.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Surprisingly good:

Audience:

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Eric Burdon And The Animals. These two albums:

R-1389019-1215515680_jpeg.jpg

ERIC_BURDON_&_THE_ANIMALS_WINDS+OF+CHANGE-515786.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Only real problem is there is only one Pink Floyd and hasn't been more than half a dozen different bands in the last 4 decades that would be qualified to carry their gear. I've see them 3 times live and 2 of the concerts have set a bar for SQ that I've never heard surpassed. No one can play guitar like David Gilmour, his work is genius. and --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wombat

Master Contributor
The OP can now work that out for himself. o_O:)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Then there is:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I would have never made an Oldfield<->Pink Floyd association if it weren't for you (at least no more than other prog-rock). I've listened to it several times over the years, but now that you've made the comparison, I can't un-hear it. Thanks I guess. Now even the 'renaissance fair' finale sounds Floyd-ish to me. :facepalm:

kevinh

Well the early Grateful Dead would be comparable to early Pink Floyd (ie through their Ummadumma album).

Wombat

Master Contributor
I would have never made an Oldfield<->Pink Floyd association if it weren't for you (at least no more than other prog-rock). I've listened to it several times over the years, but now that you've made the comparison, I can't un-hear it. Thanks I guess. Now even the 'renaissance fair' finale sounds Floyd-ish to me. :facepalm:

nr12-enter-at-own-risk-disclaimer-sign.jpg

;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Fairfield Parlour(formerly Kaleidoscope) - 1970.

Hipper

Seems to me there are a lot of 'sides' to Pink Floyd. There's the spacey stuff (Echoes), acoustic numbers (Fat Old Sun), great choral extravaganzas (Atom Heart Mother).

You may get some spacey material from early Genesis, King Crimson and McDonald & Giles. Possibly Wally (To The Urban Man).

Acoustic numbers could be anywhere. For example Barclay James Harvest 'Vanessa Simmons' (BJH were a prog band that played with an orchestra in their early years).

The 'Canterbury Scene' might be worth exploring:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterbury_scene

Of modern bands, Radiohead may be interesting.

Burning Sounds

Seems to me there are a lot of 'sides' to Pink Floyd. There's the spacey stuff (Echoes), acoustic numbers (Fat Old Sun), great choral extravaganzas (Atom Heart Mother). By

You may get some spacey material from early Genesis, King Crimson and McDonald & Giles. Possibly Wally (To The Urban Man).[\QUOTE]

Ah, yes, Wally - I was at school with Pete Sage - excellent violinist! Punk came along at just the wrong time - even with the patronage of Rick Wakeman and Bob Harris it just didn't happen for them, unfortunately.

Early Curved Air were also exceptionally good - quite unique among the prog bands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom