• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HELP! Separates Class D Amp w/ AV Processor

gsp1971

Forum Donor
If you ever want a subwoofer and use the LFE channel you kinda need one.
Not neccesarily.
There are 2-ch amps with pre-out and/or subwoofer out.
Also, you can connect an active subwoofer just with speaker wire to the speaker terminals of your amp, in parallel with the speakers. The subwoofer presents a high impedance load to the stereo amplifier and takes very little current, so it may be connected in parallel with the main speakers with no adverse effects.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Not neccesarily.
Also, you can connect an active subwoofer just with speaker wire to the speaker terminals of your amp, in parallel with the speakers. The subwoofer presents a high impedance load to the stereo amplifier and takes very little current, so it may be connected in parallel with the main speakers with no adverse effects.
That's not the point I was making, you need some way to either send the LFE channel to the sub separately or be able to mix it into the 2.0 output and use the high-pass option on your amplifier to make sure your main speakers don't get the extreme low frequency output of the LFE channel.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
...many of which stupidly have no highpass functionality at all, and can't relieve your main speakers and amp of the bass load. Ya gotta read the details carefully. But the OP in this somewhat old thread wanted a kind of connection hub, "not to the TV" meaning a bunch of HDMI inputs which basically leads to an AVR. Nothing wrong with that, I have doubts stereo units sound any more "pure" anyway, at least at non-stratospheric prices.

ape roll

Greetings,

I need some help. I am new to the forums and a novice when it comes to audio/AV tech.

I've done a fair bit of research but don't seem to be making headway. I feel like I am just spinning my wheels.

My spouse does not want a typical surround sound system and we have compromised on a stereo/two-channel system that will be used for music along with TV/movies.

I am in the process of building a stereo/two channel system with separates. We do not want to do an integrated amplifier or AV receiver.

We have purchased the Ohm Walsh Super Sound Cylinder (https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/beta/).

My spouse also wants a class D amplifier for it's energy efficiency and thermals. Won't consider a class A or AB. Another compromise.

The following are the power amplifiers we have narrowed down the list to. The contenders are:
  • Starke Sound AD4.320
  • NAD C298
  • Nord Purifi
  • VTV Purifi
Benchmark AHB2 - was previously on the list. Overlooked the fact it was AB, not D, and sadly took it off the list.

My first question is which power amplifier? Recommendations I've researched are wide and varried.

Second question, which AV processor would pair best with these power amplifers? Most of them don't have the option for a companion AV processor from the same company.

Thanks in advance for you help!
as an owner of the VTV Purifi, i can tell you that with the correct selection of input buffer (which VTV allows you to choose), it provides a very transparent and refined sound (i went with the Weiss buffer). BUT, just because you don't have speakers hooked up to your AVRs internal amps doesn't mean those internal class AB amps aren't still running and wasting a lot of power. it's true some of the higher end latest denon AVRs allow the amps to be disabled, but my older denon AVR does not, and most do not. it's a shame, because these multichannel AVRs generate a lot of heat and draw substantial power (e.g., 75 watts) just from being on, not even reproducing any music.

Top Bottom