• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HELP! Separates Class D Amp w/ AV Processor

Denosaur22

Greetings,

I need some help. I am new to the forums and a novice when it comes to audio/AV tech.

I've done a fair bit of research but don't seem to be making headway. I feel like I am just spinning my wheels.

My spouse does not want a typical surround sound system and we have compromised on a stereo/two-channel system that will be used for music along with TV/movies.

I am in the process of building a stereo/two channel system with separates. We do not want to do an integrated amplifier or AV receiver.

We have purchased the Ohm Walsh Super Sound Cylinder (https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/beta/).

My spouse also wants a class D amplifier for it's energy efficiency and thermals. Won't consider a class A or AB. Another compromise.

The following are the power amplifiers we have narrowed down the list to. The contenders are:
  • Starke Sound AD4.320
  • NAD C298
  • Nord Purifi
  • VTV Purifi
Benchmark AHB2 - was previously on the list. Overlooked the fact it was AB, not D, and sadly took it off the list.

My first question is which power amplifier? Recommendations I've researched are wide and varried.

Second question, which AV processor would pair best with these power amplifers? Most of them don't have the option for a companion AV processor from the same company.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon AVR and Buckeye Amps imo.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My advice would be to ensure the gain of the amp can match with the processors rated outputs OK. The C298 has variable sensitivity so that may be helpful. Also, given your speakers have a number of different patterns/settings available including omni (I presume) having a good room correction system which works well under those circumstances and has multiple presets you can use for each speaker setting would also be ideal. It may be the case that Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect can give slightly better results than other RC systems with omni speakers (given it actively tries to measure the sound power of the speakers) but that is guess work on my part. The Lyngdorf processors are outrageously priced.

OP
Denosaur22

Denosaur22

My advice would be to ensure the gain of the amp can match with the processors rated outputs OK. The C298 has variable sensitivity so that may be helpful. Also, given your speakers have a number of different patterns/settings available including omni (I presume) having a good room correction system which works well under those circumstances and has multiple presets you can use for each speaker setting would also be ideal. It may be the case that Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect can give slightly better results than other RC systems with omni speakers (given it actively tries to measure the sound power of the speakers) but that is guess work on my part. The Lyngdorf processors are outrageously priced.

That is a good point as the speakers are omnidirectional. I hadn't really considered or factored that in for the AV processor, power amplifier, and room correction capabilities. With those considerations, do you have specific recommendations that are better suited for omnidirectional speakers? I haven't seen anything like them since Mirage and didn't even know omnidirectional still existed. We went with them as we've heard an older pair that we thought would meet our needs given we are only doing a stereo/two-channel system.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is a good point as the speakers are omnidirectional. I hadn't really considered or factored that in for the AV processor, power amplifier, and room correction capabilities. With those considerations, do you have specific recommendations that are better suited for omnidirectional speakers? I haven't seen anything like them since Mirage and didn't even know omnidirectional still existed. We went with them as we've heard an older pair that we thought would meet our needs given we are only doing a stereo/two-channel system.
I'm not enough of any expert on what best suits omnis or more generally for that matter. I would however, recommend a RC system with good bass resolution, a few different presets you can store (if your speakers do have switchable settings like some in the range) and some ability to customise. So modern Audyssey multi-XT32 with the extra app, DIRAC, modern Anthem ARC, modern RoomPerfect, Trinnov systems probably.

OP
Denosaur22

Denosaur22

Agree. Using pre outs on Denon AVR gets the most pre processor performance per dollar. Buckeye amps also offer the most performance per dollar, though personally I would spend a little more for nicer cases and stuff.

Buckeye amp? I've not heard of them before. Interested. What can you tell me about them.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of features of an AV receiver are you actually after? What sources are you connecting to it? Depending on your needs, not getting an AV receiver might be your best bet. In case you want to have occasional sound with TV and a movie, the question is if you really need an AV receiver with all kinds of bells and whistles you'll never ever use?

A simple setup with an optical cable from the TV to a DAC and then into an amp could already satisfy you. You could also put a MiniDSP SHD in between to get room correction. Options are legion, you just need to spec first what your requirements are.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of features of an AV receiver are you actually after? What sources are you connecting to it? Depending on your needs, not getting an AV receiver might be your best bet. In case you want to have occasional sound with TV and a movie, the question is if you really need an AV receiver with all kinds of bells and whistles you'll never ever use?

A simple setup with an optical cable from the TV to a DAC and then into an amp could already satisfy you. You could also put a MiniDSP SHD in between to get room correction. Options are legion, you just need to spec first what your requirements are.
Yep, there may be use cases where an RME ADI-2 DAC is all one needs.

OP
Denosaur22

Denosaur22

That's a good question. The AV processor would predominantly be the hub to connect all of the audio and visual sources to rather than into the TV or DAC. I have contemplated your alternate setup. It's tempting for sure - especially as I think we would be overpaying for features/functions we wouldn't use. I have an agreement with my spouse that I have the option to add at most a center channel and subwoofer IF it's called for once we have the system setup. But that would probably be the extent I could get away with. Anything more is not in my forcibly future.

Our inputs would be: Google Chromecast, Blu ray player, Xbox, Nintendo switch. Historically we've also had an Apple TV and Amazon Fire. Of course, we also listen to music regularly but these days we seem to be doing so through one of the apps on one of the above devices. We also occasionally connect our laptops but doing so less often as most of that you can mirror/stream without the need of a dedicated wired input connection. So lots of HDMI.

OP
Denosaur22

Denosaur22

Since you are setting up a 2-channel system, why do you need an AVR?

Not an AV receiver but an AV processor as doing separates with a power amp. Primarily as a hub to connect all audio and visual. But as recommended above could do similar with a DAC and optical cable from the TV. There is a possibility to expand to a subwoofer and center channel if we felt the need. But that would be the extent.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Since you are setting up a 2-channel system, why do you need an AVR?
If you ever want a subwoofer and use the LFE channel you kinda need one.

Top Bottom