• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help replacing broken amplifier

DSJR

Major Contributor
Overdriving that amp would have been clearly audible I think and even if it wasn't quite that far, it may well have run warm to perhaps quite hot in prolonged hard use.

Quick silly thing - Can you switch all inputs (to 'exercise' the selector switches) and 'use' any unused other buttons, as sometimes, contacts can become intermittent. Onlything you can really do from the outside. Also of course, make sure all the connections on the back are secure and no risk of a single speaker cable strand shorting across. Again, granny sucking eggs, but it's something we old hacks tend to take for granted

OP
A

A.T.E.

How far from the speaker did you measure? If you measure with the dB app in the room without anything on how much does it show then? That is, how quiet is your room? Let it measure for 5 minutes, check the average value. No one in the room when you test this.

Edit:
Do you have the opportunity to remove the lid? I see that there is a screw on the back, I do not know how many more screws there are. Of course not plugged into a wall socket then. It should not have been switched on for a while before you do so. In any case, you can then more easily access the dust that is in it. If you feel like it.:)
Although it probably needs to be repaired, so it will not help you to do so. It is not worth submitting to a professional repairer, who charges per hour. Sell it as a spare part machine.

Anyway. If you do so (just for fun), take some pictures of it. Always fun to watch.:)
I have measured one more time with different music during five minutes, this time a little bit louder: 48 dB average. Later, another brief test with a different music was 50 dB (peaks at 58 dB). Nobody in the room (not even me), phone with dB app on the couch at 2.5 metres from each loudspeaker.
I have not opened the amplifier. For the moment, it keeps working. So, better not to touch it.
Some pictures of what I have: the amplifier, a loudspeaker, the back of the amp (it is hard to reach, hence the poor quality of the picture) and the Raspberry Pi with the Hifiberry DAC.

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_134812.jpg
    IMG_20220201_134812.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220201_134846.jpg
    IMG_20220201_134846.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220201_134951.jpg
    IMG_20220201_134951.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20220201_135153.jpg
    IMG_20220201_135153.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 52

DanielT

Major Contributor
I have measured one more time with different music during five minutes, this time a little bit louder: 48 dB average. Later, another brief test with a different music was 50 dB (peaks at 58 dB). Nobody in the room (not even me), phone with dB app on the couch at 2.5 metres from each loudspeaker.
I have not opened the amplifier. For the moment, it keeps working. So, better not to touch it.
Some pictures of what I have: the amplifier, a loudspeaker, the back of the amp (it is hard to reach, hence the poor quality of the picture) and the Raspberry Pi with the Hifiberry DAC.
Aha, it works. Peace and joy. Drive on with it, if you are satisfied.:D

Had I been you, I would still have sold it and looked at some sensible offer for a new amplifier, or rather I would have bought someone who was 5-10 years old. But brand new with guarantees is also nice to have.:)

Well this with measurements. You can for fun, now that you're still on the move, measure how quiet it is in your room. Background noise that is.It has nothing to do with your amplifier itself. Mostly if you are curious... Wait I'll check in my room. .. ,see attached pictures. Hm, they were one meter apart. Obviously one of them shows errors. Average 11,2 dB no way.o_O

A little miscellaneous sounds now in the apartment building. Pretty quiet though.:)

Attachments

• shot_2022-02-01_15-02-40.png
    shot_2022-02-01_15-02-40.png
    630.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220201_150146634.jpeg
    20220201_150146634.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 49
OP
A

A.T.E.

Overdriving that amp would have been clearly audible I think and even if it wasn't quite that far, it may well have run warm to perhaps quite hot in prolonged hard use.

Quick silly thing - Can you switch all inputs (to 'exercise' the selector switches) and 'use' any unused other buttons, as sometimes, contacts can become intermittent. Onlything you can really do from the outside. Also of course, make sure all the connections on the back are secure and no risk of a single speaker cable strand shorting across. Again, granny sucking eggs, but it's something we old hacks tend to take for granted
I have also done that.
Strangely (hopefully), as of now both channels work again. This since Monday. Four days in a row. I can hear again the "thump" every time I switch it on.
I put a picture of the amplifier in a previous post. The front panel has a green power indicator when it is switched on. Under that there is a red one. From the manual:

6. PROTECTION INDICATOR.
The amplifier incorporates protection circuitry against conditions such as overheating, short circuits, and DC off-set. Under normal conditions, this indicator will not light up and the unit will operate normally. If however one of the decribed conditions occur, the indicator will light up red and the unit will stop working.

I have never seen this red light on since I have the amplifier, not even last week when the right channel failed.

Top Bottom