• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help repairing a song with IZotope RX

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thats not the hum. That is a keyboard or at least some musical sound.
They have a 30 day trial of Steinberg spectralayers. Maybe you can isolate the fundamentals.
But I dont hear it on this repaired sample...
I used stereotool to repair hum below 80Hz only on that clip. I trained it on the most silent part of what OP mentioned.

Maybe you can have a crack at it.

Last edited:
OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Guys, I have some bad news. I think we aren't getting this yet, sorry. o_O

First of all, thank you to all of you for trying to help of course! I'm not giving up and I still hope that we can make it.

fieldcar, in your latest repair (spectralayers manual 2), you didn't erase the hum at all. You got rid of some bass line that's necessary to the song, which makes it of course worse. Sorry to say this. On the bright side, you were right to say that such bass line was intentional - because it is ! :D The hum is not there.

I've tried to locate the hum once again with IZotope RX, and using the time-frequency selection tool I think I've managed to isolate it somehow. It seems to be located between 4250 and 4750 Hz :oops: (at least I hope it's the hum itself and not one of its harmonics). And remember, it's located only (or mainly) in the right channel.

RX allows to create a new file with only those selected frequencies, so here it is, in the most critical part of the song (0:36-0:40).
For the record I can hear it perfectly with headphones and with either RX or foobar2000, but I can hardly hear it with Audacity. Go figure.
Can you guys hear it now? And @Jimbob54 , is that the hum you are hearing too?

One last comment : in the attached file, the hum is not the rythmic thing (those are residual frequencies from the song). The hum is the continuous thing you hear besides those frequencies. I honestly think you're gonna hear it this time. :)

Attachments

• Hum (4250-4750 Hz).zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 41

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, I have some bad news. I think we aren't getting this yet, sorry. o_O

First of all, thank you to all of you for trying to help of course! I'm not giving up and I still hope that we can make it.

fieldcar, in your latest repair (spectralayers manual 2), you didn't erase the hum at all. You got rid of some bass line that's necessary to the song, which makes it of course worse. Sorry to say this. On the bright side, you were right to say that it was intentional - because it is ! :D The hum is not there.

I've tried to locate the hum once again with IZotope RX, and using the time-frequency selection tool I think I've managed to isolate it somehow. It seems to be located between 4250 and 4750 Hz :oops: (at least I hope it's the hum itself and not one of its harmonics). And remember, it's located only (or mainly) in the right channel.

RX allows to create a new file with only those selected frequencies, so here it is, in the most critical part of the song (0:36-0:40).
For the record I can hear it perfectly with headphones and with either RX or foobar2000, but I can hardly hear it with Audacity. Go figure.
Can you guys hear it now? And @Jimbob54 , is that the hum you are hearing too?
What I was hearing was most definitely not at 4k. That would be a screech. Or a whine.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Ah but the screech is not the hum! Sorry for leaving the screech. Here's the hum more precisely located (I think), without the screech.

Attachments

• Hum 2.zip
    602 KB · Views: 36

dasdoing

Major Contributor
lol. I think I know what you are hearing now. obviously you calling it a hum while it's up there made it impossible for us to understand.
what you are hearing is a delay effect. I can imagine this beeing anoying when hearing the song 100 times

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

lol. I think I know what you are hearing now. obviously you calling it a hum while it's up there made it impossible for us to understand.
what you are hearing is a delay effect.
Thanks. I can't say for sure what it is :) For me it's just a parasite noise, and I doubt it being anything intentional.
Yes, I never understood why the 'hum' word should be limited to low frequencies. To me a hum is any kind of persistent buzzing noise regardless of the frequency.

The good news is that it looks like your latest version made it disappear between 0:37 and 0:39 :D
Now the resulting problem is that at 0:37 and at 0:39 I can feel the difference :
  • At 0:37 the hum/buzz/whatever disappears from the right channel, creating some sort of imbalance.
  • And at 0:39 it appears again.
I guess this noise and its eventual harmonics should be erased (or attenuated - maybe erasing it is too much) all song long. Which of course requires to be very precise in order not to attenuate unwanted frequencies.

I'd like to know the settings you used, so I can try to erase it myself with RX and learn something in the process. Thanks again! :)

I can imagine this beeing anoying when hearing the song 100 times
It was annoying for me from the very first time :p

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Thanks. I can't say for sure what it is :) For me it's just a parasite noise, and I doubt it being anything intentional.
Yes, I never understood why the 'hum' word should be limited to low frequencies. To me a hum is any kind of persistent buzzing noise regardless of the frequency.

The good news is that it looks like your latest version made it disappear between 0:37 and 0:39 :D
Now the resulting problem is that at 0:37 and at 0:39 I can feel the difference :
  • At 0:37 the hum/buzz/whatever disappears from the right channel, creating some sort of imbalance.
  • And at 0:39 it appears again.
I guess this noise and its eventual harmonics should be erased (or attenuated - maybe erasing it is too much) all song long. Which of course requires to be very precise in order not to attenuate unwanted frequencies.

I'd like to know the settings you used, so I can try to erase it myself with RX and learn something in the process. Thanks again! :)

It was annoying for me from the very first time :p

So what I did is aply the de-hum to your isolated "Hum 2" (after normalizing it) and than copied the effect to the song. if you play around more in this direction you should now be able to get a satisfying result

Top Bottom