• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help! problems with my dac Topping

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be cheaper to send the Topping DAC back and buy something with Toslink input.

However, i'm not yet fully convinced that noise enters the chain using USB is actually the problem.
Could be tested using a mobile phone as a source.

MCH

Major Contributor
This is interesting, I was unaware of the existence of this device from Topping...
There is a thread on it.

It is pricey, but I find it one of these things that is good to know they exist, in case... If it works, of course

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be cheaper to send the Topping DAC back and buy something with Toslink input.

However, i'm not yet fully convinced that noise enters the chain using USB is actually the problem.
Could be tested using a mobile phone as a source.
It isn't. It's a ground loop. The noise isn't from USB, it is from any magnetic field coupling into the loop. These devices break the loop and stop the noise that way.

Mobile phone as source couled be used to check - so could battery powered laptop as I suggested above.

pma

Major Contributor
Topping D10s works perfectly with this. €18 product. No need to spend more money.

threni

Major Contributor
You can use a cheap Behringer dongle, like a U-Control 202/222, to convert USB from the computer to optical to feed the DAC and achieve isolation.
I'm considering this myself. But if USB to dac has noise (random noises as well as 'i can hear you moving the mouse and dragging windows" noises, won't this get into the dongle via USB too?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Topping D10s works perfectly with this. €18 product. No need to spend more money.

Good up to 24/96,it's a gamble for upsampling.

raindance

Major Contributor
I'm considering this myself. But if USB to dac has noise (random noises as well as 'i can hear you moving the mouse and dragging windows" noises, won't this get into the dongle via USB too?
No, I have tried it, so long as the DAC is connected via optical it is fine.

threni

Major Contributor
No, I have tried it, so long as the DAC is connected via optical it is fine.
So... How is the dongle getting the data without noise but my DAC (topping E30) is unusable via USB from the PC?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the noise is analogue noise in the earth loop. The dongle is digital to digital and won’t be effected.

threni

Major Contributor
No, the noise is analogue noise in the earth loop. The dongle is digital to digital and won’t be effected.
But why can't the DAC do whatever the dongle is doing to extract the digital data without the noise?

raindance

Major Contributor
So... How is the dongle getting the data without noise but my DAC (topping E30) is unusable via USB from the PC?
You're using it in a purely digital capacity and the noise is only in the analog stage of the dongle (which isn't being used). Providing audio bits to the DAC over fiber ensures that only actual audio gets decoded because the noise can't pass.

half_dog

Would one of these work?

I've bought one of these and later I can try it with my D10s and a DIY headphone amp which I had problems with ground loops - which was partially solved when the ground pin was "lifted".

Reactions: MCH

threni

Major Contributor
You're using it in a purely digital capacity and the noise is only in the analog stage of the dongle (which isn't being used). Providing audio bits to the DAC over fiber ensures that only actual audio gets decoded because the noise can't pass.
But aren't I using the PC, USB cable and DAC in a purely digital capacity (up until the output of the DAC) when I connect my PC to the DAC using a USB cable, and getting a load of noise?

raindance

Major Contributor
But aren't I using the PC, USB cable and DAC in a purely digital capacity (up until the output of the DAC) when I connect my PC to the DAC using a USB cable, and getting a load of noise?
No, the analog stage that you are listening to is part of the DAC which is NOT optically isolated from the computer in your case.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But why can't the DAC do whatever the dongle is doing to extract the digital data without the noise?
The optical connecation to the dac is not electrical. With no electrical connection the ground loop is broken. No noise.

USB to DAC to AMP is all electrical - so when both the PC and Amp have ground connections there is a ground loop.

The noise is not in the extracted signal. It is added to the signal by the ground bouncing around due to the induced currents further down the chain (in the signal connection from Dac to amp - see my more detailed explanation upthread

threni

Major Contributor
The optical connecation to the dac is not electrical. With no electrical connection the ground loop is broken. No noise.

USB to DAC to AMP is all electrical - so when both the PC and Amp have ground connections there is a ground loop.

The noise is not in the extracted signal. It is added to the signal by the ground bouncing around due to the induced currents further down the chain (in the signal connection from Dac to amp - see my more detailed explanation upthread
Yeah, I think I get it now thanks. The difference is there's no ground loop between the pc and the box producing the optical output. I guess I'm after balanced USB!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I think I get it now thanks. The difference is there's no ground loop between the pc and the box producing the optical output. I guess I'm after balanced USB!
The USB isolators linked above should do the same job. Breaking the ground loop.

The loop goes from mains earth, through pc, through dac, through amp and back to mains (via the PC and Amps mains earth connections). The current in the loop is created by stray magnetic fields coupling to the loop (as though it was a short circuited single turn secondary on a transformer. The noise is added to the signal in the analgue connection in between the dac and amp by the loop noise currents causing a voltage difference from one end of the cable to the other.

Anywhere you can break that connection, breaks the loop and stops the loop currents flowing.

threni

Major Contributor
The USB isolators linked above should do the same job. Breaking the ground loop.

The loop goes from mains earth, through pc, through dac, through amp and back to mains (via the PC and Amps mains earth connections). The current in the loop is created by stray magnetic fields coupling to the loop (as though it was a short circuited single turn secondary on a transformer. The noise is added to the signal in the analgue connection in between the dac and amp by the loop noise currents causing a voltage difference from one end of the cable to the other.

Anywhere you can break that connection, breaks the loop and stops the loop currents flowing.
The thing is I already have my main system working fine. I'm just after the ability to connect my desktop pc to my DAC. It's not something I'd use all that often (checking out flacs before I copy them to the main system; a little YouTube) so it's not worth much money to me. Certainly I'm not that bothered about quality as long as there's not a lot of hum/distortion etc. I've looked at soundcards and various boxes and it just ends up being quite ugly and expensive plus the uncertainty of not knowing if it'll work on Linux.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing is I already have my main system working fine. I'm just after the ability to connect my desktop pc to my DAC. It's not something I'd use all that often (checking out flacs before I copy them to the main system; a little YouTube) so it's not worth much money to me. Certainly I'm not that bothered about quality as long as there's not a lot of hum/distortion etc. I've looked at soundcards and various boxes and it just ends up being quite ugly and expensive plus the uncertainty of not knowing if it'll work on Linux.
Do you not already have an optical output on the motherboard of your PC? Many do.

Top Bottom