• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help please, some Roon direction thanks

Shives

Forum Donor
Hello!! I’m Shivers!!
Ive been looking around here for a few days now... I’ve spent a lot of time looking and digging up information from other sites.. it’s enough to make my head spin.
So, as my first post here... I thank anyone who takes the time to read this!
I love the reviews and more! Really appreciate how folks like to help, not hinder.

enough of that... Now.. Quick run down..

I have HT setup. Currently a new Denon AVR-x3700h. Hooked to some Klipsch that are all redone from GR Research products (my build) The new AVR is roon tested. What ever that really means (I know, the tested portion means they were tested but not 100% seem less I guess)

I have a MBP from late 2008 with a Intel 2.53 8gig blah blah... hooked into my AVR to my LG CX. And well, it sucks to use and listen to!

I have been using iTunes. Yes shame me!! Lol. I want to take my music from that and dump it all to a HD and be able to listen in my HT room. I have o other rooms hooked up currently.

this point the AVR would be just an amp.

I’m look at the SMSL DAC’s. The 300Mkii or the new 9u. I gather I’m going to need some computer as the core, tho I have a bunch of desktops, I want a compact neat looking solution. Not something that stands out, or the lady yells what’s with all the wires.

I’ve watched the Pi4b and 7” touch pro box video to setup the way to control. I like that..

What else do I need? Exactly? Is there a good list that’s up to date with today’s products?
Or if someone can suggest a build and build list, I would love that.
I don’t want to spend 2k. I don’t even want to spend 1k. Lol. But I know you need to buy something to get this right.
Or if another suggestion out of Roon would be better.
Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!! I’m Shivers!!
Ive been looking around here for a few days now... I’ve spent a lot of time looking and digging up information from other sites.. it’s enough to make my head spin.
So, as my first post here... I thank anyone who takes the time to read this!
I love the reviews and more! Really appreciate how folks like to help, not hinder.

enough of that... Now.. Quick run down..

I have HT setup. Currently a new Denon AVR-x3700h. Hooked to some Klipsch that are all redone from GR Research products (my build) The new AVR is roon tested. What ever that really means (I know, the tested portion means they were tested but not 100% seem less I guess)

I have a MBP from late 2008 with a Intel 2.53 8gig blah blah... hooked into my AVR to my LG CX. And well, it sucks to use and listen to!

I have been using iTunes. Yes shame me!! Lol. I want to take my music from that and dump it all to a HD and be able to listen in my HT room. I have o other rooms hooked up currently.

this point the AVR would be just an amp.

I’m look at the SMSL DAC’s. The 300Mkii or the new 9u. I gather I’m going to need some computer as the core, tho I have a bunch of desktops, I want a compact neat looking solution. Not something that stands out, or the lady yells what’s with all the wires.

I’ve watched the Pi4b and 7” touch pro box video to setup the way to control. I like that..

What else do I need? Exactly? Is there a good list that’s up to date with today’s products?
Or if someone can suggest a build and build list, I would love that.
I don’t want to spend 2k. I don’t even want to spend 1k. Lol. But I know you need to buy something to get this right.
Or if another suggestion out of Roon would be better.
Thanks

Im confused. What do you want help with regarding Roon? What PC/ Mac to run it on? Any half decent PC/Mac running Roon connected to your new DAC via USB into amp. If it doesnt fit all your music on the new computer, a solid state external hard drive or a NAS (I would keep it wired tbh, I havent had great experiences with cheaper NAS). Install Roon for a trial month, enjoy.

SKBubba

You have everything you need.

Use one stronger pc for roon core/server. Use another weaker pc for roon endpoint, either bridge or player/control. Get a usb to toslink or coax sp/dif converter. (I use a topping d10.) Use that on the endpoint to connect to your Denon via toslink, or better yet coax. Control it from your phone or tablet.

Roon "tested" just means airplay for Denon/Marantz. Don't do that.

Also, don't need an external dac. Denon dacs are fine. Using an external dac to denon line in causes denon to convert analog back to digital and back to analog again if you use any denon dsp such as audyssey. And you probably want to use audyssey. And it resamples everything to 48k anyway.

Anyway, you are on the path, and almost there.

Last edited:
OP
Shives

Shives

Forum Donor
Hello!! I was standing out side after my last Roon video, watching it snow in April.. so my post may have been not clear. Sorry.

Ok... So.. I don’t want to use my MacBook Pro.. I feel it’s a waste, plus it’s a pain sitting on battery power, and trying to wake it up sometimes it’s a pain! Even tho it has a 500 Gig Ssd and maxed memory, clean desktop! Lol. So, that’s out! I was thinking a mini computer.
Build one? Seems like you can build a decent little computer like a nuk or what not.. powerful.. Ehh not so much.. Or Mac mini? I can find a used one of those.
The left over desktops I have are too big, and bulky to place in the room. Tho new and great shape.. I don’t want them.
Mac mini would also allow REW use. Yet does Roon work better on windows? Or Mac? Still I can run Windows on a Mini.. with them sooo inexpensive now.. Must be a point for folks to build the small nuc.

I also have a brand new iMac 27” in the room.. It’s not always on.. So again I could use it, but rather I did not. Leaving it on is doable.. if I’m being dumb.. say so!

I have not picked out a DAC yet, but looking at the 300MKii or the new 9U (I think it’s called, was just reviewed on the forums here) but one from SMSL I’m thinking, I just like them.. topping is a hell of a unit for what it is!! Again, if I’m looking ver doing this.. say so.

I have wired network access behind my AVR. To what would be my amp.. Yes the dac in the AVR is not the best for HiFi music, and already planed on getting one. But with looking at Bluesounds, node 2i with the CD ripping ability.. other units like that I waited to buy the dac. (Now learning that DAC sucks anyways, but platform I guess is ok..

Controlling it, I understand I can use the Pi4b and the 7”.. I do have extra IPhone 11 not doing anything.. So again... Do I need the Pi?

yes, I have questions.. and I’m confused a little on what I can use, what I will need. I’m trying to keep items what they are intended for.. for the most part. Like, sick of using my laptop. It sucks the life out of it.

I guess I’m looking for a basic list.. 1-2-3 those are your needs. Then x-y-z are you optional parts, but you want to use this.. over that. Here’s why...

Maybe I’m asking a lot. Again, just so many video seem to contradict, and or go a completely different way. Thanks.

again, thank all of you very much for the welcomes and help!
If I can help anyone back, please let me know.

OP
Shives

Shives

Forum Donor
I’m sorry if I’m over complicating, little overwhelmed at the moment. Just need one kick, maybe two in the right direction.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Roon is fairly flexible. However, the key is having a strong wifi network as your experience will be miserable without one.

Therefore, in the first instance just get it running somehow so that you can check whether your network can support it.

After that, you can use an old Mac Mini as a core, some RPis for bridges and any iOS or Android device for controls.

ctakim

Forum Donor
Roon is fairly flexible. However, the key is having a strong wifi network as your experience will be miserable without one.

Therefore, in the first instance just get it running somehow so that you can check whether your network can support it.

After that, you can use an old Mac Mini as a core, some RPis for bridges and any iOS or Android device for controls.
GDK you are basically describing my streaming setup!

Top Bottom