• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help please, solution for PC-->JBL 708P

jumper

I've been doing a lot of research for a solution to put between my laptop and a pair of JBL 708P. This is a new system I'm putting together. My budget is $1,000 +/-, if higher I need good justification. I'm not decided between going digital or analog into the 708P. Whatever I choose I want the option of adding dual subs. At this budget level I'm assuming I need to use a DAC's or interface's built-in preamp for volume control so very important to me would be the preamp quality.

I'm looking at Topping D90SE with its built in preamp to go analog into the 708P. How good is the preamp?

Also looking at MiniDSP, either SHD for analog or SHD Studio for digital. I can use REW and the 708P's onboard EQ so not sure about also paying for Dirac room correction. How good is the SHD preamp?

Also looking at REM AD-2 for analog and ADI-2 Pro for digital (much higher price).

Am I missing anything? I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
My recommendation would be MiniDSP with Dirac if you can swing it. Dirac really is very good.

My 2nd place recommendation is the RME. It is also an excellent unit with good EQ controls.

I do not have personal experience with Topping products.

I am not sure if you can bypass the ADC / DAC in the 708P. If you can, the DACs in the MiniDSP and RME are surely better performers, and you should go in analog. If not, using the 708P's onboard EQ may be worth a shot.

After having done manual EQ for years using REW and various PEQ solutions with what I thought were good results, Dirac blew me away, and I use it in both my listening environments. It not only corrects FR, but also phase, time alignment, and level matching. It absolutely is worth the money. You can also buy a license for your PC and use it standalone in front of your USB DAC. This is the way I approach it. The license is around $350, IIRC.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the MiniDSP SHD studio, AES (digital) to the 708p.

USB from your PC will remain in the digital domain until the 708p decodes it.

OP
J

jumper

I'm sure you may have already seen it, but Amir did review the SHD.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sp-shd-review-updated-dsp-dac-streamer.18681/
It is an excellent very flexible device. It was very different from any other device I had used but if you read their documentation it is fine.

I did see it, I've read all of Amir's reviews on the items I'm considering. I do really like Dirac, but then I would be using it in lieu of the EQ I'm already getting in the 708P. I also find the option of either the standard SHD vs the Studio very convenient, not sure which I would choose.

Topping has a good following and I want to give the D90SE fair consideration. That would mean analog in to the 708P. I believe the D90SE has a good built-in preamp and if not good enough I can always add the PRE90.

OP
J

jumper

I use the MiniDSP SHD studio, AES (digital) to the 708p.

USB from your PC will remain in the digital domain until the 708p decodes it.

Thanks Jim - I assume you're using Dirac instead of the 708P's EQ?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Jim - I assume you're using Dirac instead of the 708P's EQ?
Neither, actually.

After jumping through all the hoops to measure the 708p and my homebrew subs, the DIRAC correction (in my room) was minimal.

I find the straight, unprocessed sound preferable.

The 708p has the smoothest response of any speaker I have owned in 40 years. I strongly recommend trying them out "unmolested" first.

OP
J

jumper

Neither, actually.

After jumping through all the hoops to measure the 708p and my homebrew subs, the DIRAC correction (in my room) was minimal.

The 708p has the smoothest response of any speaker I have owned in 40 years. I strongly recommend trying them out "unmolested" first.

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind I consider my room somewhat challenging so it would be nice to compare with and without Dirac room correction applied.

I did read in several places that listeners of the 708P report no difference between the digital or analog inputs. So the 708P's internal DAC must be on par. That would make the SHD Studio a good solution at my price point, hoping that its volume control is well implemented.

OP
J

jumper

Neither, actually.

Quick question for you, how do you incorporate the DAC for your subs? I would need to address that with the MiniDSP Studio vs the Topping or RME that have both balanced for the 708p and unbalanced for the subs.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have MiniDSP plate amps. They take AES input, directly.

In my application, my streamer has an on-board DAC, which is adequate.

The SHD handles a dead simple crossover between the subs and JBLs.

FWIW - I thought the RME ADI-2 DAC sounded great, but the MiniDSP product reduced my "box count". The RME was long gone before my 708p arrived, so no direct comparison was made.

The MiniDSP is *much* easier for me to navigate and has a well attended user group that has already sorted out the hiccups I encountered.

Last edited:
OP
J

jumper

I have MiniDSP plate amps. They take AES input, directly.

In my application, my streamer has an on-board DAC, which is adequate.

The SHD handles a dead simple crossover between the subs and JBLs.

FWIW - I thought the RME ADI-2 DAC sounded great, but the MiniDSP product reduced my "box count". The RME was long gone before my 708p arrived, so no direct comparison was made.

The MiniDSP is *much* easier for me to navigate and has a well attended user group that has already sorted out the hiccups I encountered.

Thanks - are you using a volume control on your steamer or on the MiniDSP Studio? Appreciate the info, its giving me more options to consider.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MINIDSP controls most everything, including volume.

Just don't misplace the remote.

AurekV

You just need something that has an AES3 out along eith crossovers eq and analog outs for the subs. I would suggest a miniDSP 4x10 HD in that case, since your 708Ps are fed with digital outputs there will be pretty much no degradation to that signal and it has all the analog outputs you'd ever need, volume control and the DSP. It's what I use the my 708Ps and works well while being less expensive than an SHD for no sound quality loss (having worse converters for your subs simply doesn't matter, you can't hear the distortion). It doesn't come with USB input but that can be easily rectified with a sub $50 USB to S/PDIF or TOSLink converter.

Top Bottom