• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help picking dac/pre amp

Coors75

Hello, I have an incomplete system consisting of a bgw 250d power amp and mission 710 speakers. I usually run it through my pc sound card. I would like to upgrade and looking for a dac/preamp combo or separates. Wanting to stream tidal/flac and have the option for better.
I’ve been interested in:

Marantz HD-dac1
The orchard pecanpi
Topping d30 or e30 plus preamp?

many recommendations would be appreciated.
Budget max $800usd

but any king of best at that budget ($800) a $500 alternative if that’s not too much to ask.
Greatly appreciated!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Maybe the SMSL M500

Do you have anything else you want to connect, or is the computer they only source you are concerned with? Meaning...any TT's or other components?

fitero

I agree with BDWoody's suggestion. It will allow several configurations, and give you the opportunity to experiment with DSD and MQA for example.

I am using an Orchard Audio PecanPi as a Roon endpoint and Preamp (line-amp) for the moment as I am in between preamps and it works perfectly and sounds great. However, obviously, I can't hook anything else to the system with it.

OP
C

Coors75

I would like the option to add a TT at a later date and I would like my tv sound to go through it as well, though music would be the priority. I had had smsl on my radar but not the m500 specifically. What sets the smsl apart? MQA? Any other higher or lower priced value options? I just find the Marantz pretty visually appealing.
Thanks

OP
C

Coors75

Would the Suncoz sgd1, Gustard x16 and similar be equal options?

Geared4me

It appears that the X16 may turn out to be the better product but if you want to add a tt in the future you will probably want an analog input.

OP
C

Coors75

Would the best options change if MQA isn’t a factor? I’ve never used it and hear it isn’t truly necessary for quality listening.
Cheers

Top Bottom