• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help out a newbie: Streaming setup for medium/large room

fc9k

Hi all - having grown increasingly frustrated with 99% of audio press pushing solid silver mains cables and the like, very happy to find this place. Wondered if I could ask for some advice speccing a system with a few constraints...

I'm looking to get a proper audio setup for my 7x5m room with high ceilings (~3m). Room is pretty bare with wood floor and limited soft furnishings currently - so I realise pretty far from ideal. 99% of my listening is through streaming services (youtube music, so not a particularly high-def source). I don't currently plan to get into vinyl, and while I'd consider connecting a CD unit down the line it isn't a massive priority for now. I would like the system to be relatively family friendly though (i.e not enormous in the room; simple enough for family members to use etc).

Initial thought was to go for something integrated and active (KEF LS wireless II with a sub, or perhaps LS60) but I worry about such a high outlay on something that is intrinsically reliant on ongoing software support to function. Being an early Sonos 5 buyer taught me a lesson here. I also wonder if I wouldnt be able to get similar quality to the LS60s with a decent set of floorstanders and a reasonable amp, with a chromecast audio to let me stream easily. Looks like plenty of places will sell you a £1K media streamer, but I'm not entirely convinced how this would sound materially different...

Any thoughts on where to start?

OP
F

fc9k

Fair question! Would say £5k max (which just stretches to Ls60 on sale). I'd happily spend less.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try with Yamaha R-N803/D for an integrated amplifier if you like it and can find it and MiniDSP Flex unbalanced as DSP processor in a loop line and when and if streaming support stops or isn't anymore satisfying for you you can always plug something like Wiim Mini trough optical input. AB class Yamahas aren't very tolerant to low impedance loads so bare that in mind regarding choice of speakers. I would recommend you to try Elac DBR62 bookshelf one's with it.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Fair question! Would say £5k max (which just stretches to Ls60 on sale). I'd happily spend less.

Welcome to ASR!

A pair of JBL 708Ps would fit that budget, but they aren't the most attractive living room speaker if that's a consideration. (I have a few of these, so I'm quite biased)

I know you are focusing on passive speakers, but there are some very well reviewed active monitors you might want to at least consider as you figure out who to give your money to.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
You can avoid the software dependency thing by using a cheap computer as your source. Raspberry Pi, Intel NUC type, Mac Mini...
Go listen to some speakers and find a decent choice, when you know what you want add an amp if your choice is passive. Do audition the LS60 as well. R5 Meta would be your starting point for passive speakers in the UK.

At that price you can build up a system with active monitors and a couple of subs instead. More work but you could well get a better result.

Get rugs and fairly heavy curtains. In that room you could also do a reasonable surround system: if it's plausible, audition one and see what you think. Best if the room is dedicated.

Top Bottom