• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help on matching new amp and processor to speaker.

juma

Hi,

Sorry for the long post, im about to pull the trigger on some really expensive ( to me ) component and I want to make sure and not making any rookie mistake. Voodo impression are welcome but im more talking about bad impedance or technical match thats why im posting here.

Speaker I already have :
Linton whaferdale heritage ( around 7-10 feet listening )
Sensitivity (2.83v @1m) 90dB
Recommended Amplifier Power25-200W
Peak SPL110dB
Nominal Impedance6Ω
Minimum Impedance3.5Ω

What im looking to buy

Processor/Preamp im looking to buy
Mini DSP SHD ( link )
Analog Audio outputs
4-channel audio output, balanced XLR Neutrik connector, unbalanced on RCA
32bit AKM AK4490EQ DAC / 120dB SNR measured / 0.0003% THD+N (Digital to balanced analog)
Max output level: 2V RMS unbalanced, 4V RMS balanced
Output impedance: 100 Ohms (RCA) / 200 Ohms (XLR)

AMP
Audiophonic M500NC mono bloc ( so x2 ) ( link )
Inputs
1x RCA
1x XLR - 3 poles
Power
1x400W under 2Ω @ 1kHz THD = 1%
1x500W under 4Ω @ 1kHz THD = 1%
1x270W under 8Ω @ 1kHz THD = 1%
1x 135W @ 8Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%
1x 250W @ 4Ω 10Hz-20kHz THD = 0.006%THD + N0002-0006%
SNR124dB @ 10Hz-20kHz
Output noise40μ
VFrequency response0 / -3dB: 10Hz - 50kHz
trigger5-12VDCPower supply100-240V
automatic detection of the input voltage
Gain25.5dB
input sensitivity maximum à 2.35V RMS
XLR : 2x1.17V RMS
RCA : 2.35V RMS
Power consumption max1300W
Efficiency (full power)92%
load consumption13W

OR
Hattor nc500mp ( link )
Output power: 270 W/8 ohm, 500W/4 ohm, 400W/2 Ohm
Gain: 26 dB
Signal/Noise Ratio: 124 dB
Distortion (THD, IMD): 0.006 %
Input Impedance: 47 kohm
Output Impedance: 2.6 mOhm
Frequency Response: 2Hz – 50kHz 0/-3db
Speaker connection : Pure copper patented Hattor binding posts
Wiring : Silvered copper wires
Dimensions: 90 x 200 x 200 (H x W x D)

I plan to use thr XLR out of the processor to feed the XLR in of the amp.

So my questions are is this going to all work together ? It says from the SHD that XLR out are at 200 Ohms 4VRMS but the amp XLR input spec looks like voodo to me ! Does this two will be compatible if I use the XLR out the the SHD into the XLR in of the amp ? Do i have enough power to hit 105db at 8 feet ? My speaker is rated 6Ω but the amp dosent five number for that value ... So yea, what do you think about all of this ?

I would buy the amp first and then get the processor later, could I use the new amp with the analog out of my current processor via RCA in the meantime

Current processor
Emotiva ta-100 ( link )

Outputs
  • 1 pair; main line level output; stereo, unbalanced.
  • 1 pair; speaker outputs; stereo, 5-way binding post.
  • 2; summed full range outputs (for connecting one or two subwoofers), unbalanced.
  • 1; stereo headphone output (front panel).
Analog Performance (line level)
  • Maximum output level: 4 VRMS.
  • Frequency response: 5 Hz to 50 kHz +/- 0.04 dB.
  • THD+noise: < 0.0015% (A-weighted).
  • IMD: < 0.004% (SMPTE).
  • S/N ratio: > 115 dB.
  • Crosstalk: < 90 dB.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I think you'll be OK. Usually the "impossible part" is estimating the actual peak SPL that you want...

Here is a thread about estimating power & loudness, etc. (and there may be others).

The 2.83V standard is 1W with 8-Ohms. With 6-Ohms it's more power, but your amp puts-out more power with a lower impedance (which is common).

10 x the power is +10dB and 100 x the power is +20dB so you'd be at 110dB (at 1M) with about 130 "actual" Watts. (But that doesn't exactly agree with the speaker's "Peak SPL" rating.)

The volume does go down with distance but reflections in the room compensate for that to some extent.

It says from the SHD that XLR out are at 200 Ohms 4VRMS but the amp XLR input spec looks like voodo to me !
I'm not exactly sure what 2x 1.17V means either, but I'm pretty sure 4V is enough. They don't give an input impedance for the amp but line inputs are typically 10K - 100K, and you want to drive those inputs with lower impedance so the 200 Ohm output impedance from the MiniDSP is fine. (Normally line-ins and line-outs "just work" together.)

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the Linton's in a large (more than 26 x 40 ft) room, listening at around 12' distance. I use a Hypex NC502 based amp (March audio) as your candidates seem to be. I only listening at moderate volumes and it is more than enough for much more above that. The MiniDSP should drive them to clipping OK if you want it too. Sensitivity is around 2V RMS.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing you need to think about with the output of the MiniDSP and no pre-amp is if you plan to use "room correction" DSP. It is pretty easy to eat up headroom with DSP in which case you may not have enough voltage swing to drive the amps to full power.

Completely false. DSP does not change the max output voltage of the SHD.

Michael

OP
J

juma

Completely false. DSP does not change the max output voltage of the SHD.

Michael

Yea I don't see how room correction would affect output level ... Yes certain frequency but not in away that would change the sign output level.

I have the Linton's in a large (more than 26 x 40 ft) room, listening at around 12' distance. I use a Hypex NC502 based amp (March audio) as your candidates seem to be. I only listening at moderate volumes and it is more than enough for much more above that. The MiniDSP should drive them to clipping OK if you want it too. Sensitivity is around 2V RMS.

Nice to ear! But I need to be sure because I plan to buy the shd used and the amp are from Europe so it's again a no easy return situation.

The info online about these products are limited, so yea if someone here by the spec can confirm that it would work it would be nice.

Last edited:

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yea I don't see how room correction would affect output level ... Yes certain frequency but not in away that would change the sign output level.

Nice to ear! But I need to be sure because I plan to buy the shd used and the amp are from Europe so it's again a no easy return situation.

The info online about these products are limited, so yea if someone here by the spec can confirm that it would work it would be nice.
Below is from the Hypex MC502 datasheet regarding sensitivity. 500W is the specified max power into 4 ohms.

1631757792576.png

OP
J

juma

Below is from the Hypex MC502 datasheet regarding sensitivity. 500W is the specified max power into 4 ohms.

View attachment 153593

I mean I plan to buy the NC500MP ... All these response are nice but I still dont know if the amp will work with the midsp SHR xlr output level and my emotiva TA-100 RCA output level.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
All these response are nice but I still dont know if the amp will work with the midsp SHR xlr output level and my emotiva TA-100 RCA output level.
In short - yes.

Check 1 - output noise:
According to Amir's review, MiniDSP SHD dynamic range is 116 dB(A) ref. 3.934 Vrms (-6.5 dB setting), for an output noise level of ~6.23 µV(A). Plus 25.5 dB on behalf of the Hypex, that's 117 µV(A) at the power amp output (fairly good integrated amp level, similar to a little Yamaha receiver or something), or ~-87.5 dB(A) ref. 2.83 V. Hence expected output noise level is ~+2.5 dB(A) @ 1 m anechoic, should be similar from both speakers at your listening distance. Seems just fine to me, but if memory serves there's a company in the UK that makes good balanced line-level attenuators should you really need them.

Check 2 - output level:
The maximum output of ~4 Vrms is almost twice as much as needed to drive the Hypex into clipping, and even further from the region where it performs cleanly. Just ~7 dB don't really warrant an attenuator yet though, which only start to have a sensible ratio of input and output impedance around 10-12 dB. So I'd say you're good on that front, too.

Check 3: TA-100
The unbalanced inputs take a nominal 2 Vrms in, I don't see any problems interfacing the Emotiva's pre-outs to that. I would expect 1-1.5 Vrms out without trouble, possibly more if the preamp section is properly buffered and isolated from the power amp input (a typical trouble spot in AVRs where clipping the (unused) power amplifier tends to mar pre-out distortion performance). The TA-100 has a 2-prong mains connection and a toroidal mains transformer, so I don't expect any major trouble with ground loops or mains leakage.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(a typical trouble spot in AVRs where clipping the (unused) power amplifier tends to mar pre-out distortion performance).
Oh! NOW that makes sense of some other threads to me, I had just not thought about it like that. Back to @juma what did you finally buy? If nothing, I'll say we really like an ATI 525NC we got, runs cool as a shady day.

Top Bottom