• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help on Connections with New Desktop Stack

rochambeaux

With the help of these forums I did a lot of research and thanks to a certain online giant, auditioned a number of products to settle on my first stack.

I'd appreciate recommendations on how to connect the stack based on my output devices:

Screenshot 2022-01-10 195518.png

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would probably use a pair of XLR y-splitter cables to connect the DAC directly to both amps. As long as the input impedance is fairly high on both amps, shouldn't be a problem.

XLR Splitter

The other option is XLR from the DAC to the headphone amp and 1/4" TRS jack to XLR cable from the headamp to speaker amp. Downside would be running your speaker signal chain through a bunch of extra op-amps, but it will still be transparent.

TRS to XLR

Of course, the real answer is whichever connection method doesn't cause ground loop hum.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'd appreciate recommendations on how to connect the stack based on my output devices:
Connect your sources to the DAC via USB, Coax or Optical.

The SU-9 should output on both RCA and XLR. I would use XLR for whichever I use more frequently, the headphones or bookshelf speakers.

So if speakers are used more, XLR to power amp then speaker wire to speakers. RCA to headphone amp and headphones plugged into same. The headphone amp also appears to have a "ground lift" (hope that's safe) if any hum on RCA.

JSmith

OP
R

rochambeaux

Connect your sources to the DAC via USB, Coax or Optical.

The SU-9 should output on both RCA and XLR. I would use XLR for whichever I use more frequently, the headphones or bookshelf speakers.

So if speakers are used more, XLR to power amp then speaker wire to speakers. RCA to headphone amp and headphones plugged into same. The headphone amp also appears to have a "ground lift" (hope that's safe) if any hum on RCA.

JSmith
Thanks.

Could I go DAC XLR -> Headphone Amp XLR In, Headphone Amp TRS BAL out -> Amp XLR In -> Speakers?

I think the Topping has passthrough?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Thanks.

Could I go DAC XLR -> Headphone Amp XLR In, Headphone Amp TRS BAL out -> Amp XLR In -> Speakers?

I think the Topping has passthrough?
No worries.

Yes, if the Topping has passthrough (which now you mention it I think it has), however it may only passthrough without applying any amplification when powered down.

JSmith

Moonhead

Exchange Dali for some proper active speakers could be an option to.

Top Bottom